Thread: Altering a suit coat

Altering a suit coat

I've been trying to find a suit coat, but have been having loads of problems. With this nice little quad belly I've inherited, every suit I find that fits me good in the shoulders, doesn't fit in the mid-section, and every suit that fits well in the mid-section, is too big in the shoulders. So I'm baffled about what to do. I've thought about taking my current coat (fits in the shoulders, too small in mid-section) and making a cut up the back where it would not be visible, but not sure if it'd work or how it'd look. Any thoughts?

hi,

my suggestion would be to get a coat that fits around the middle and find a good seamstress to alter the shoulders or any other area that does not fit properly. since i dont wear suit coats, i am not expert, but i did sew before i lost so much use of my hands, and from a sewing point of view, that is where i would start. also, that way you would have a full back in your coat and not have a split, which should be sewn...hemmed up the seam, and i worry that might cause you pressure problems if you wore the coat for a length of time. (with a properly lined coat you have the lining between you and the seam but if you split it, you are going to have those two hemmed edges against your back...well your shirt). a good tailor should be able to alter a coat so you cant tell it has been altered. if you go to a good mens shop, they should have someone on sight who does alterations. as a woman, i just gave up wearing suits in the chair as i find jackets of any kind to just be too uncomfortable. when a man has to dress up though, he doesnt have much of an option. i hope you can find a solution that works for you and is comfortable too!!!

I recommend taking your suit jacket to a good tailor who will know just how to accommodate things like your quad belly, and also, if needed, adjustment of the length front and back so it falls right when sitting, and doesn't end up on your spokes. If you look at pictures of some of the national board members of the PVA or USA, you will notice how nicely their suits fit, and the members I know all get their suits tailored after they purchase them at a store. An independent tailor will spend more time and be more expert at this than a dept. store tailor.

(KLD)

My husband used to be heavy in the middle and doesn't have broad shoulders. We found that ordering "Portly" size suit coats from JC Penney worked for him. They don't have those extra broad built shoulders, and are made for folks bigger in the tummy and smaller in the shoulders. You could then still take it to a tailor for length alterations. Their blazers are nice and not so expensive either.

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    I recommend taking your suit jacket to a good tailor who will know just how to accommodate things like your quad belly, and also, if needed, adjustment of the length front and back so it falls right when sitting, and doesn't end up on your spokes. If you look at pictures of some of the national board members of the PVA or USA, you will notice how nicely their suits fit, and the members I know all get their suits tailored after they purchase them at a store. An independent tailor will spend more time and be more expert at this than a dept. store tailor.

(KLD)

Good info, thanks!
    Standing up for our rights, one offender at a time!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KH59mpTo5x8

Follow me on instagram: mikeinbmore

I went to the tailor first and discussed my situation with him. He measured me and said what size jacket to get. I brought the jacket back to him and he shortened the back and what not. He might have altered the vest as well.