Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 29

Thread: What an idiot, he just lost his best client.

  1. #11
    If he can afford to hire help like this, then that is his decision, isn't it??? Who are you to judge someone else and how they use their resources? Do you say that to a working mother who decides to hire someone to clean the house or do some babysitting or the the busy executive who hires someone to mow his yard?

    On the other hand, iMight, do you have a contract with your employee? Does it spell out the consequences of and define "tardiness"? If not, why not? We have that in our contract, and it clearly states that more than 3 episodes of tardiness (over 15 minutes late) can be cause for termination at any time at the discretion of the employer. You may want to be more clear about the priority of dependability when you interview and check references, and have a personal contract for this type of employee.

    (KLD)

  2. #12

  3. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse
    If he can afford to hire help like this, then that is his decision, isn't it??? Who are you to judge someone else and how they use their resources? Do you say that to a working mother who decides to hire someone to clean the house or do some babysitting or the the busy executive who hires someone to mow his yard?
    good for him, he has money to burn and i could care less... hell, if i felt the need i could have someone wait on me hand and foot all day long BUT i'm not that lazy. i'd rather risk spilling/dropping something simply because at the end of the day i did everything that i could for myself.
    i have a problem with him criticizing how someone else spends their money, calling them a weak quad, and pointing out the things that could have been done and places visited to support a cure. see post 27 http://sci.rutgers.edu/forum/showthr...t=88538&page=3

    as for those other examples... apples and oranges, kld, you're comparing apples and oranges
    "All of us are all too stuck strapped to a chair watching our lives blow up..."

  4. #14
    Senior Member Imight's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Philippines
    Posts
    6,535
    Quote Originally Posted by KiranA
    Just outta curiosity, you're a para, right? Are you working towards being more independent, like driving and doing personal care (i.e. cleaning caths)? That way you wouldn't have to rely on anyone else to do all your errands.
    yes. problem is, my chair does not fit in the bathroom and my house is not accessible. I bought a ramp, but its too steep, I can go up and down what little stairs we have, but I still have to practice carrying the wheelchair behind me while doing so. so until i move (which is tough in cali) ill pay for help. The guy usually comes 3-4 hours a day 2 times a week. My mom comes around and helps with the shower bench, and cleans hard to reach places. If I had my own bathroom, I would probably only need someone once a week, for deep cleaning.


    @KLD--Dont worry about jbinny, he has some personal issue with me, because my screen name and text upset him. I think he thinks that I give a damn if he respects me or not. who is he? nobody as far as I know. LOL.

    damn jbinny, i didnt think my text would cause so much hurt. its just little ol me, my opinions dont mean shit. if it makes you feel any better, im sorry man. i love you. hopefully within ten years theres a cure and we can hang out, and ill buy you a bottle of rum and we'll jog around and harass the ladies with our new functions, hopefully its during a nebraska vs USC game so I can taunt you some more.
    i didnt mean to sting ya man.

    ive seen some pretty racist shit on here, but i just laugh it off, if i took what these screen names said to heart id be a mess. lol.

    anyways back on topic--there is no contract between the caregiver and I. I took him from the agency I used to go thru. I used to have care 5 days a week, but when I got better I dumped them, and decided to have him come 1-2 times a week on my own dollar. I think the time sheet is a great idea, but I interviewed someone else, so I may just go with her and have her use a time sheet. the other caregiver pissed me off, I dont like dealing with people like that. He's come late and left early many of times, it wasnt until this past weekend that I decided to be punctual.
    Last edited by Imight; 02-03-2008 at 11:04 PM.

  5. #15
    Senior Member Imight's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Philippines
    Posts
    6,535
    Quote Originally Posted by clueless
    This does not offer a solution to your problem but I would just like to say that one of the worse things is having to depend on somebody else to do even minor things. Sooner or later, they take advantage because it’s not easy to find a replacement. Plus, there is no more privacy. In my case where my speech is unclear, they have to answer my phone calls too. I let them fax documents for me and help me with printing from the computer (meaning, they can read a part, if not all). They also open my mails for me and help me affix my thumbmark on certain documents. I learned to ingratiate and keep my cool many times. If I cannot take it anymore, I look for somebody else. This cycle will be repeated again for the newbie. So far, I haven’t found anyone well suited.
    I hear you.

    Its coming along. One thing that sets me back is my elbow, it was shattered in the accident, so its still a bit weak. I barely went to outpat for the first time in Dec (6 months post), all because my elbow (which I had surgery on twice) was very limited. we didnt want to pop it out of place AGAIN.

    having a car is very very important around here, public transportation is a joke, while most stores and places are not that far, it may take up to an hour to get to said places. its quite sad actually. what would normally be a 15 min drive...because of LA traffic takes 45min to an hour.

    I plan on getting my own car again, but even if I did, Id still need to be able actually go to my car, which is impossible until I figure out a way to walk down what little stairs we have, while carrying my wheelchair behind. this is where my elbow comes into play.....

  6. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by Imight
    So I pay this caregiver $10 an hour to do small things around the house. Literally, he does just about nothing except drive me around to meet up with people for lunch, go to the bank, grab food, install my shower bench, clear out caths, etc.
    Am I the only one who sees a difference between a "caregiver" and a maid or a personal assistant or a gopher? It's 3 am. Maybe I'm the only one who cares. I should be sleeping anyway.

    C.

  7. #17
    Quote Originally Posted by Imight
    @KLD--Dont worry about jbinny, he has some personal issue with me, because my screen name and text upset him. I think he thinks that I give a damn if he respects me or not. who is he? nobody as far as I know. LOL.
    Not to cause more trouble, but I'm curious: what is the problem or significance with Imight?


  8. #18
    Moderator Obieone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    Manitoba,Canada
    Posts
    5,630
    I would respectfully request jbinny that if you have personal issues with the opinions of Imight you take them to a pm or start a thread of your own in Members perhaps ..... I read your reference to the other post in the Rec,Sport etc. forum and didn't sense any disrespect in Imight's responses (after some clarification) ..... of course its always a question of interpretation and perhaps there is a history here I'm unaware of .... lets nip this before it gets .... beyond beyond ....okay? I appreciate that .....

    Back to topic ............

    Obieone
    Last edited by Obieone; 02-04-2008 at 11:14 AM.
    ~ Be the change you wish to see in the world ~ Mahatma Gandi


    " calling all Angels ...... calling all Angels ....walk me through this one .. don't leave me alone .... calling all Angels .... calling all Angels .... we're tryin' and we're hopin' cause we're not sure how ....... this .... goes ..."
    Jane Siberry

  9. #19
    Quote Originally Posted by Imight
    yes. problem is, my chair does not fit in the bathroom and my house is not accessible. I bought a ramp, but its too steep, I can go up and down what little stairs we have, but I still have to practice carrying the wheelchair behind me while doing so. so until i move (which is tough in cali) ill pay for help. The guy usually comes 3-4 hours a day 2 times a week. My mom comes around and helps with the shower bench, and cleans hard to reach places. If I had my own bathroom, I would probably only need someone once a week, for deep cleaning.
    totally understandable. i figured there had to be a good enough reason. i wish you good luck with finding an accessible place and getting the independence you need.

  10. #20
    Senior Member Imight's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Philippines
    Posts
    6,535
    Quote Originally Posted by KiranA
    totally understandable. i figured there had to be a good enough reason. i wish you good luck with finding an accessible place and getting the independence you need.
    Thanks. theres def a reason. Because trust me, If I could I would. I didnt get where I'm at by being lazy.

    Had my car not been destroyed in the accident, I would be driving my baby right now.*sigh* so now I have to buy another car, and I dont want to buy just ANY car. I want to buy something I like. Im thinking a 330ci BMW. HOWEVER. Ive also been contemplating moving from cali all together (to another state or country). Hollywood, is not accessible AT ALL. its terrible here, and everything is on hills (at least where I live)
    .

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 10-11-2007, 09:03 AM
  2. Airlines lost 10,000 bags a day in '05
    By roshni in forum Life
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-18-2006, 01:46 PM
  3. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12-19-2003, 01:08 PM
  4. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-20-2002, 07:20 AM
  5. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-11-2002, 11:06 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •