Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Debbie

Debbie

I haven't been around much for awhile. First it was the holidays. Then we had some other projects to work on. The last couple weeks have been because Debbie has been seriously ill. She has been fighting cellulitis in her remaining leg for some time. Lately it's been looking a lot worse - a lot of bad-smelling drainage. We were concerned, but her doctor didn't seem to be. Then she started getting sick. The primary symptoms were headache and nausea. At first we thought it was a migraine, but it didn't get better and she began having other problems. To make a long story short, we ended up in the ER and she was admitted for infection. The infection turned out to be MRSA - the superbug form of staph that is resistant to many antibiotics. We have been dealing with a lot of issues as a result of the infection. One potential complication is that she may have to have her internal morphine pump removed. That is a scary thought, but first we have to deal with tomorrow's challenge. She will be having her leg amputated tomorrow afternoon. The doc believes that her leg will be even more prone to infection after this, and will eventually cost Debbie her life, and recommended amputation. Debbie agreed, and I also feel it is necessary. Necessary does not make it either simple or easy to deal with, of course - anything but. Debbie's in trouble, and I"m scared for her and stressed out big-time.

I don't know what's going to happen, but I will post an update when time allows.
    Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.
    - Albert Einstein

Oh Kendell! Hugs to both of you. You will BOTH be in my prayers. Please do let us know how Debbie fares tomorrow.
    My blog: Living Life at Butt Level

Ignite Phoenix #9 - Wheelchairs and Wisdom: Living Life at Butt Level

"I will not die an unlived life. I will not live in fear of falling or catching fire. I choose to inhabit my days, to allow my living to open me, to make me less afraid, more accessible, to loosen my heart until it becomes a wing, a torch, a promise. I choose to risk my significance; to live so that which comes to me as seed goes to the next as blossom and that which comes to me as blossom, goes on as fruit."

Dawna Markova Author of Open Mind.

Geez! God bless her.

Wow, Melissa sorry that Debbie has been having so many additional problems lately. Also, sorry that her dr didn't seem to be concerned about her leg when she knows her own body...I hope her surgery goes well tomorrow, I know this couldn't have been an easy decision. I'll be praying for a speedy recovery from surgery. Hopefully the morphene pump won't have to be removed(or at worst they can replace it shortly thereafter w/a non-infected one). My sis & I are still up here in OH if y'all need anything, gimme a yell...you got my #...
    'Chelle
    L-1 inc 11/24/03

"My Give-a-Damn's Busted"......

So sorry Kendell, I had the same thing a few years back and came very close to losing my right leg, I was very lucky, it still gives me problems and I have to keep a close eye on it, but I can so relate what she is going through. Cellulitus can be a very bad thing. So sorry you both are going through this.
    "Life is about how you
    respond to not only the
    challenges you're dealt but
    the challenges you seek...If
    you have no goals, no
    mountains to climb, your
    soul dies".~Liz Fordred

Kendall I am very sorry to hear of Debbie's illness. Please know that you are both are in my thoughts. I know she is facing a big fight here. But she is a fighter and she has you. I know that will make a difference tomorrow and as she works on recovering. Please take care of yourself and please give Debbie a hug for me. A big hug for you too.
    Amanda

Kendall, I'm so sorry. I'm concentrating on things going more smoothly for both of you. Deb

Sorry to hear this Melissa...you both are in my thoughts and prayers.
    T12-L2; Burst fracture L1: Incomplete walking with AFO's and cane since 1989

My goal in life is to be as good of a person my dog already thinks I am. ~Author Unknown

Oh no!!! I'm sorry to hear of this. I'll be thinking and hoping that Debbie comes through this tomorrow without a hitch. You take care of yourself! Stress definately can make you sick (I've witnessed it time and time again.)

I haven't read anything but I hope somewhere some drug company is working on something to combat MRSA soon. I'm terrified, in my current situation of visiting ER every week, of contracting it.
    Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

I'm so very sorry! I'm completely enraged that her problem wasn't taken seriously. That's criminal. May all go smoothly tomorrow, and may she turn a corner and heal well from now on. As others have said, it is crucial that you take excellent care of yourself right now.