Thread: Choosing my next vehicle (minivan versus four-wheel-drive)

Choosing my next vehicle (minivan versus four-wheel-drive)

Hi,
    first off I will give you the background information. I'm a 26-year-old college student living in Israel. I'm also a C4/5 quadriplegic. I was injured seven years ago and only now am I finishing getting my license. I had a license before I was injured however I never got around to getting one again after I was injured.

I currently own a 2001 Chrysler Town & Country. It is outfitted with a ramp at the side door and removable front seats (one is always removed so that I stay on my wheelchair). If I drive, I place a seat on the passenger side, and if I am not driving then the seat goes in the driver's position.

I will probably get my license and about two weeks. Chances are that I will order a new vehicle within half a year. Because I'm an Army veteran I get funding every several years for a vehicle.

I've always liked the outdoors but because of my condition I couldn't go by foot (naturally) and because of my car going off-road was not an option. In addition, I would just love to have a car that is more 'fitting' for my age. I kind of field old in the minivan.

The problem is, the minivan is just so comfortable. It has a huge amount of storage room, and of course, I can choose whether I'm in the passenger side or the driver's side without a problem.

Are there any four-wheel drives vehicles (a.k.a. Hummer and the like) that can be outfitted with ramps on both sides so that I can choose whether or not I would like to be the driver of the passenger (think about a night out, with lots of drinks)?

In other words, what would you do in my condition?

Looking forward to hearing the replies,
    Eitan Waks

The Honda Element can be outfitted with both driver & passenger side ramps, however from what I've heard(not seen in person) it's not real practical w/both ramps installed. As I understand it, the driver side ramp may also get in the way of some hand control systems I have not seen a driver side ramp in person however...It IS an option out there that you may be interested in though...

Do you use a manual chair or a power chair? this may make a big difference in what's available...Can you import vehicles w/out a lot of hassle? I don't know for sure, but I think Ryno Mobility MIGHT be able to do pickup trucks/suv's with conversions to both driver's and passenger side, but this would require two separate under vehicle lifts if so...

hope this helps
    'Chelle
    L-1 inc 11/24/03

"My Give-a-Damn's Busted"......

Quote Originally Posted by Broknwing
    I don't know for sure, but I think Ryno Mobility MIGHT be able to do pickup trucks/suv's with conversions to both driver's and passenger side, but this would require two separate under vehicle lifts if so...
    UVLs are too wide to mount two underneath.

However, Ryno's Mega Cab conversion can support what you suggest, although I'm not sure if the full floor drop gets in the way of the transfer case, thus making it 2wd only. If you can transfer, they should be able to put a swivel seat in both spots & retain 4wd capability. Check out: http://rynomobility.com/RynoMega.htm

BTW, I take credit for this idea: http://sci.rutgers.edu/forum/showpos...35&postcount=6
    Last edited by -scott-; 01-31-2008 at 11:33 AM.

I'd get a full size van converted to 4x4. That's just me though.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Pruett
    UVLs are too wide to mount two underneath.

However, Ryno's Mega Cab conversion can support what you suggest, although I'm not sure if the full floor drop gets in the way of the transfer case, thus making it 2wd only. If you can transfer, they should be able to put a swivel seat in both spots & retain 4wd capability. Check out: http://rynomobility.com/RynoMega.htm

BTW, I take credit for this idea: http://sci.rutgers.edu/forum/showpos...35&postcount=6
    Didn't know that about UVL's being too wide, that sucks...

ahh...ok....THAT's why I'd thought it was done before you and your ideas.... you're gonna make some serious money one day
    'Chelle
    L-1 inc 11/24/03

"My Give-a-Damn's Busted"......

Get a x-cab pickup (Chevy 4x4 is what I have) with Bruno Turney seats on both sides. That is if you can transfer from your chair. Mine is outfitted with a bruno out rigger crane that will lift my power or manual chair.
    Dave E. C6-7 Incomp. Quad 9-06

"NEVER LOSE SIGHT OF YOUR DREAMS!"
    "THERE IS NOTHING BETTER FOR THE INSIDE OF A MAN / WOMAN THAN THE OUTSIDE OF A HORSE"