Thread: Mattress overlay while traveling

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Mattress overlay while traveling

Can anyone recommend the best mattress overlay that can be used while traveling?

There are a number of options from a good quality high density foam overlay like a Biogard AFT or Geomatt to an airfilled overlay like a Gaymar Softcare pad (which would require you to use a bike pump to inflate) or at the high end, a Roho overlay. It depends on your individual needs, how mobile you are, history of pressure ulcers (and scarring) and how much space you can allow.

1" blue eggcrate foam is totally worthless except for comfort as it does not significantly decrease pressure, and sheepskin only reduces shear, not pressure.

(KLD)

tailbone

i'm battling a stage 1 tailbone ulcer thats very red

i wondered if i could also buy good aides to postion better while sleeping

btw - thanks again!!

I like eHob's mattress overlay and generally you can find them for $25+ on ebay.
    Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

I would just recommend sleeping on your sides or prone only for now. Prone (on your stomach) is an excellent and underused position for sleep for anyone with a SCI as it reduces spasticity, reduces the risks for hip and knee flexion contractures, and gives you an addition surface for resting skin in other positions.

Of course you should also use something to protect and elevate your heels when in bed.

(KLD)

I use a Thurma-rest. Works great on my cot camping or on a regular bed.

C-5 on my back all night

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse
    I would just recommend sleeping on your sides or prone only for now. Prone (on your stomach) is an excellent and underused position for sleep for anyone with a SCI as it reduces spasticity, reduces the risks for hip and knee flexion contractures, and gives you an addition surface for resting skin in other positions.

Of course you should also use something to protect and elevate your heels when in bed.

(KLD)
    can you do this with a suprapubic catheter? i don't wanna find out the hard way.
    Courage, it would seem, is nothing less than the power to overcome danger, misfortune, fear, injustice, while continuing to affirm inwardly that life with all its sorrows is good; that everything is meaningful even if in a sense beyond our understanding; and that there is always tomorrow.
    -Dorothy Thompson