Thread: Good core exercise that has been working

Good core exercise that has been working

- You need another person, a weighted exercise ball (that you can buy at any sporting good store) and be able to sit up unsupported by yourself -

Sitting on a bench or something you can fall back on if you tip over, have your partner toss the ball at you. The point is to be able to catch it and use/tighten your core muscles to keep you from tipping over.

Catch it - stabilize yourself - then raise it over your head and throw it back (like you're throwing a soccer ball), really crunching your stomach the best you can on the follow through.

As you get stronger and better balanced, mix it up by having the ball thrown to the sides and over your head and increase the ball weight.

At first I could barely sit up on my own. A few months later, I've gone up 4lbs in ball weight, can catch it and fire it back. My abs, obliques and back muscles have really improved which has helped ease the upper body strain when using the walker.

Try it out, hope it helps!

Thanks for this post. I need some core strengthening again and this sounds like a great starting exercise. What was the weight of the ball you started with? and do you simply add weight to the ball? I guess I could look it up somewhere but figured you'd have the answer.

Julie

Quote Originally Posted by jck77 View Post
    Thanks for this post. I need some core strengthening again and this sounds like a great starting exercise. What was the weight of the ball you started with? and do you simply add weight to the ball? I guess I could look it up somewhere but figured you'd have the answer.

Julie
    http://www.amazon.com/b?ie=UTF8&node=3408001 these are the style I use. Depends how much existing strength you have, a 6 pounder can give quite a workout. I came across this thing http://www.lifestylesport.com/p-1645...rebounder.aspx which is ridiculously priced but looks useful for home exercise. Thanks back for the remind, need to work on my post-holiday core.

That was part of a daily rehab routine while in hospital recovering over 25yrs ago except I was on a mat table with my legs splayed out in front of me. (T11 complete)
    Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

I appreciate the additional info and links. They give me some ideas of what to look for. I think I might go to a sporting goods store this afternoon to get a better sense of size and weight (while I'm still in 'get in shape mode'). I noticed some of the reviews online said they would fit in your hand, but I'd envisioned something the size of a soccer ball.

Not true about needing another person. If you have a decline adjustable situp bench you can throw the ball up in front, as you grap the ball twist to right, come back to center throw up again catch and twist to left. Just an adjustment if you are gong solo.