Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Upgrading Video Card for PC

Blog Entries
    MSI-P6NGM
    It had a 400watt ps but put a 600w in a few days ago to test an 8800GTS to see if I wanted to upgrade. The 400 had no PCIe connector. I decided not to upgrade, wasn't much difference in framerates between the two. I DID notice all the filters were off by default(shoulda checked) and turned the card on max when I reinstalled it(both). I have almost double framerates and a better picture in-game now. Went from 28-30 to 58-60 in exact same place on the airfield, later turned up all the eyecandy in game and flew smoothly also.
    BTW, I loaded Vista32ultimate on here for a while today. Big memory hog, I updated it(almost 2gigs of downloads!!) and then it whined 'Avast Matey, Thar be Pirates!!' and started BSCD a few times and pretends failure before I get in now, lol. So when I get bored I'll off it and try 64bit instead( w/o updating o'course )
    I'm curious how LoMAC will fly-framerates, etc. The only reason I'm trying it is for comparison. I have absolutely no intention of keeping it- or shelling out the cash for it, unless something maGical happens. I be sKeert of pirates, arrrr!

Vista 64 is suppsively a bitch to install. I tried and couldn't get it... Also turned out my RAM was bad.... So no idea.

Blog Entries
    OK, got it installed no problem. I'm putting LoMac on shortly. I'm now on XP, defragging the Vista drives. I had let Vista's defragger run for over an hour and it still wasn't thru, lol. I am using diskeeper to defrag it now, it was a huge mess even after an hour of letting Bill's best at it... haha, whata joke.

Check THIS out... I was installing it on K drive(mine go to O), writing over the 32V. I loaded yesterday. It backed up 12GB of that to the drive(K) BEFORE it began install, with no option to tell it yea or nea, silly Billy.
    After all was said an done, it CHANGED the Vista install drive to C Vista and renamed my C XP to D some generic crap. If THAT don't take the cake. The real pisser, I was looking as some more suble renaming it does inside folders and found the 12GBs of backup and was tossing it out when I discovered the C drive had been renamed.... I freaked for a sec thinking I was watching my C go the way of the buffalo. I pulled up disk management and figured it all out then. Whew!
    It idles at about 1GB with av, opera and teamspeak running withOUT Aero enabled and sidebar closed. The fresh install with no video driver idled about 700GB I think. I screencapped it and when I go back over there, I'll post it. Gonna load Lomac and see how it flies. I left all 4 GB of memory in when I installed also. Let ya know more in a few. If you want a copy, holler.
    Last edited by CapnGimp; 03-07-2008 at 03:13 PM.

Blog Entries
    from the V64 side...
    Last edited by CapnGimp; 03-07-2008 at 04:58 PM. Reason: stuck both on horizontally, YIKES

Blog Entries
    you will note C drive showing up in middle of Disk 1 now
    D drive (old C) was XP on Disk 2
    it renamed w/o asking
    BTW it APPEARS to be using GRUB as a bootloader
    gonna haveto look a bit closer...
    this pick is idling, whatta memory sucker
    about to fly and see how it works

Quote Originally Posted by Patonb
    Sorry, all that I know... What I don't know is where that setting is .
    Did you find it?

Quote Originally Posted by Andy
    Did you find it?
    Gah........ No... Just finally figured out my BSOD issue.... Yha bad RAM, and haven't gotten around to OCing yet.
    Still only spend 1/2 days up in mychair, because of the past sores.