Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Upgrading Video Card for PC

Now speed that bad boy up with RivaTuner and watch it crunch frames even better!

Test out that overclock with this (scanning for artifacts) to see if its stable.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Patonb
    I just cghecked the intel site for your board (Intel) and you can bump up the cpu to a 3.4ghz 800mhz fsb!
    Hey Paton.

Is that done through the BIOS? Stupid ? but I can't get into mine. I turn on the PC and after the Intel screen pops up, I press F2 (which is what Intel site says my MB uses to enter BIOS. I tried DEL. f10, CTRL-DEL-ALT and nothing -the OS just loads like normal. WTF!? I am pushing and holding. I tried different times too (i.e. right at start up, ect.)

Hey Andy.

I was going to D/L N-TUNE. You find greater functionality in RiivaTuner? i'LL check it out.

Will Fiddling with these things lead to over heating - shorter life span, etc.?

Um no.. Andy's way is through the BIOS. Mine is buying a new CPU.

Newegg.com has a few, 3 actually, under 100 bucks

Try esc to get into your BIOS.

I dont know if Ntune works or not...Nvidia OC apps either dont work or are shady if internet board reports are true. Rivatuner you can manually move things faster more reliably. Heat might actually be less as you can adjust fans to come on sooner and faster than what comes stock.

Should you want to upgrade...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813131196

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16819116052

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820146565

This is a nice combo that will get you into current tech at 3.0-3.2 Ghz easily and cheaply.

Blog Entries
    I use the 8500GT 512mb on my rig. Use nTune (nvidia control panel)to go in and set the 3d capabilities/filters to the max. Most of it is turned off by default.
    I can play Lomac wide open with smooth framerates all the time.
    There is a lot of eyecandy that will be lackluster in games until you turn on all that stuff. My frame rates went from ~30 to ~60 at the same settings in-game.
    I don't overclock mine either.
    I got this card for 80 bucks in Nov. Always shop around for the best price!

Quote Originally Posted by CapnGimp
    I got this card for 80 bucks in Nov. Always shop around for the best price!
    I wonder bout the actual numbers..... My Evga 8800gt SUPERCLOCKED is always 30-50 bucks more than other 8800gts, because its different specs inside.

Blog Entries
    http://www.gpureview.com/show_cards....=544&card2=475
    and
    http://www.tomshardware.com/2008/02/...008/page7.html

two very useful pages for vc comparisons
    first one has drop down menus at top to compare 2 cards side by side and compare prices at some stores
    second groups cards by similar performance

I BE LUVIN MY QUADCORE! Ain't it nice?

ps This is the first computer I ever bought except laptops, always built my desktops myself, piece by piece. But I paid 700 bucks brand new WITH xp and MS Office preloaded, threw in the 8500gt to replace onboard video, for a total of 820 shipped from TX. I just paid my bro in law the last payoff, he fronted me the money in Nov.
    We have 3 of them now, mine his and one being used as a server for his Dental office. I set the server up and 'TESTED' it with BF2 Reality Mod and Lomac for about 2 weeks, lol. I had to get me one then, I couldn't force myself to go back to playing on my 4 yr old laptop
    Q6600 G0 4GB ram, 2x500GB SATA2 hds, etc. You can't beat the price with a stick. They are the only folks I've used for parts/computers since I built my first P120 thru them in 97.
    Last edited by CapnGimp; 03-05-2008 at 02:35 PM.

What MB Cap'n? My MB was 250 alone! xfx 680i sli..

Blog Entries
    It's an MSI single channel board, low end,( to get that low-low price. Gonna upgrade it to a better dual channel board someday, no hurry though,)but clockable, I'll give ya the model tomorrow, just got off LoMAC with Anthony, we've been at it 5 hours. His son just came in to help him assemble his new Q6600 and motherboard, you know he is a happy puppy He's a cool dude.
    It's time for F U T U R A M A !! gotta watch my heroes, lol holler at ya in the morning.
    Bender's my mentor