Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Braun Swing-A-Way

Quote Originally Posted by Rustyjames View Post
    It wouldn't take much to incorporate warning sounds so I don't think that's the reason.
    My understanding is that the proper sounds couldn't be incorporated because the motion of the lift doesn't correlate to the type of warnings required (like the fact that the lift doesn't actually deploy before you get on it). The weird motion is also the reason you can't do a one button remote. But, regardless, the minimum width and length may have made the swing aspect impossible in some vehicles. My Braun clears the sliding door of my Ford E-150 by only 1/4". So, there would need to be a major redesign if it didn't meet the minimum dimensions.
    C-6/7 incomplete

Quote Originally Posted by Rustyjames View Post
    Has anyone had any success in finding out if these lifts are still available anywhere? I'm thinking about buying a new van but can't imagine using any other lift than a swing away.

They have not been available in the USA for a while now.

We can still get parts for them and still have a few customers with them.

If you have one in your current van see if your mobility dealer is willing to put it in your new van for you.

btw:I have a good working used one we took out of a van a few years ago.
    Jim, MA, MMET
    Bridgewater, MA

i had one yrs ago. i don't buy the warning sounds premise as none of my vans have had that. the swing away i had was hydraulic up/down, electric swinging in/out, making maintenance bit more difficult. cumbersome in taking up space in van. however, it was a decent lift. i think it just became outdated.

Well, the warning sounds premise is what someone at Braun told me. Regardless of the specific reason, the swing away lifts didn't meet the new regulations imposed by the NHTSA around 2002/2003.

NHTSA Standards
    C-6/7 incomplete

Quote Originally Posted by Kulea View Post
    Well, the warning sounds premise is what someone at Braun told me. Regardless of the specific reason, the swing away lifts didn't meet the new regulations imposed by the NHTSA around 2002/2003.

NHTSA Standards
    can you please point to the specific reg you're referring to?

Quote Originally Posted by cass View Post
    can you please point to the specific reg you're referring to?

None of the lifts passed, they all had to be upfitted with a bunch of stuff.

If I were to guess they took a hard look at how many they sold a year vers the cost to upgrade them and decided no to do it.

As i recall there were 2-4 lifts that got dropped.

NHTSA Standards. Wow! I did not read all 37 small type pages, but it appears that swing around lifts such as the Golden Boy or Braun Swing Arm, as well as the Super Arm lift, none of which ever had a big market share, were simply regulated out of existence with the stroke of a pen.

I am glad I was not the guy at a lift company trying to go though all of this and come up with a compliant product.

May or may not make us all safer, but it sure makes innovation next to impossible.
    T4 complete, 150 ft fall, 1966. Completely fused hips, partially fused knees and spine, heterotopic ossification. Unsuccessful DREZ surgery about 1990. Successful bladder augmentation using small intestine about 1992. Normal SCI IC UTI problems culminating in a hospital stay in 2001. No antibiotics or doctor visits for UTI since 2001: d-mannose. Your mileage may vary.

NHTSA reasons are BS. In 2005 a Braun rep told me the main reason was that the lift was too reliable, durable & easily repaired (extremely seldom in my 35+ years of owning 3 and still own one from 1984 & 1985) so the dealers tried to persuade customers to purchase others ("more repair profitable models") (including me on 4 occasions and I complied in 2003 and after 2 yrs. with the Braun vangator** I tried, too late, to go back to the "swing out" lift). "LOW VOLUME & PROFITS WERE THE REAL REASONS" in my opinion!

Welcome 7THSFGVET,

I completely agree with you on that, it's all about profits, not safety.