Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Buying a House in Ontario

Shorty - thanks for the reply. I have already looked into all the programs available and I don't qualify because I apparently earn too much.

I didn't really want one .. but I noticed a condo newly under construction in a rather choice location so I've initiated something with the realtor/builder for that .. they seem more than willing to work with me and could understand my frustrations completely. They 'say' they're going to try and keep the condo as close to the original asking price as possible because the plumbers, electricians etc have to be there to do the work anyway. At the house I was looking at, it was going to cost $400 just to have an electrician move an outlet a few inches (to widen a doorway). AS IF.

I wanted a backyard .. but instead I'm one block away from a major park and the Detroit River (if it goes through) so I hope it all works out. Possession is the day before my birthday in October.

Where in ontario are you Lynnifer?

Lynnifer,

try this,he was at the Motion show in Toronto,and is highly recommended for
    the situation you,me and many others need for modifications.My insurance ran out,my house is sttill needing work,and this is about my only option.

The Assistance Store
    27 Fisherman Drive, Unit 6
    Brampton,Ontario
    L7A 1E2
    905-495-5855

Grant Zandwyk-De-Has
    General Manager

It is my understanding that if you supply the materials they will provide the labour free of charge for persons with disabilities in need of adapting their homes to make them accessible. I met Grant at the People in Motion Show and he is a fabulous man

murrey - Windsor Ontario

triedandconvicted - I was at the motion show in Toronto - I somehow missed that booth - but admittedly I was flustered after dealing with someone at a government booth who could only offer me a Canadian flag pin to my questions.

I went for the condo. It's a done deal now - signed and sealed - but not yet paid for lol. They charged me $4700 over and above everyone else so the architect could change his design and make the doors wider, the kitchen countertops further apart and remove a wall that wasn't built yet to make the bathroom 12ft long. I'm a bit miffed with that ... but I guess I should count my lucky stars. It's better than the $25,000+ I was looking at for a house renovation. They also couldn't guarantee me that my chair would fit through the door leading to my extra-small balcony ... but it does. They said it would alter the structure of the building, I say it would alter the outside appearance ... but it's neither here nor there anyways since I fit.

Condos seem to be faring well in our aging population so I'm hoping in a couple of years down the road, I can 'zing' a needy senior citizen for a completely barrier free condo. I'm so thoughtful ... NOT. Then I can have my house with the green backyard and an attached garage <--- what I really wanted.

Nothing wrong with zinging somebody on a barrier free condo, i'm planning on doing it too down the road someday. Actually, with the money I spent rennovating it, if I break even selling it i'll be doing really good, even with Winnipeg's hot housing market. Maybe i'll just become a slumlord and rent it out until i'm really old and need to move back.

I have to agree with Jeff on this one, I purchased a home and renovated it. There was a perfect spot for an elevator and he lived in the garage. I also added a new room 20 by 13 for myself so that I could have ample room for the wheelchair.

The master bedroom bathroom was large enough to change the bathtub into a role in shower. There are lots of homes of their that our bungalows or as to what you might be looking for a flat with no upstairs that can be easily converted.

Good luck!

I apologize for some of the sentence structure as I use software, NaturallySpeaking but I am sure you can figure it out.

Okay - time for a new rant. lol

Mortgage insurance. So I can have the place paid for and leave it to someone when/if I die unexpectedly. Not everyone qualifies - even a nurse I ran into who was morbidly obese and her husband who suffered epilepsy couldn't get it. A sample of questions:

1. Have you ever been tested for, received any treatment, medical advice, consultation, diagnosis, required followup for or had any known indication of:
    - problems realating to heart, circulation, high blood pressure, high cholesterol, stroke, cancer, tumor, leukemia, lupus, asthma or any other lung or respiratory condition
    - diabetes, hepatitis, liver or kidney disease, stomach or intestinal condition, multiple sclerosis or any other condition affecting the central nervous system including paralysis
    - alcohol or substance abuse, depression or other mental, nervous or psychiatric condition, or have you ever tested positive for, or been diagnosed as having any HIV virus or any other associated disease including AIDS or any other immunological disease or condition?

2. Have you ever received any treatment for or consulted a physician or other health care provider for, or been diagnosed as having sprains, strains or other problems or conditions of the neck, back, shoulder, elbow or other joints, muscles, ligaments or tendons?

3. Are you currently receiving, or have you ever received, disability or workers' compensation benefits for a period longer than one month?

4. Have you been a patient in a hospital or similar institution during the past five years (Other than for normal pregnancy)?

5. Have you consulted or been examined by a doctor or other health care provider during the past three years?

6. Have you used tobacco products at any time during the past 12 months?

7. What is your weight an height?

I imagine this leaves out a lot of people! I feel sorry for some Canadians who succumbed to the hepetitis scandal ... and paralysis due to no fault of yours sets you out too!?

I post this for other people hoping to buy real estate in the future. As well, the cabinet guy and I are having a disagreement on standard height/lowered cabinets. It's right in my contract - I made sure of it - so I won't hear any different. And flooring is twice as much as I had figured for - almost $3000 for laminate wood and ceramic tile.

Yeouch. Won't be long now though.

Which bank is that with? My mortgage is through Royal and it has no mention of paralysis. Either that, or me and my mortgage officer both missed it.

Royal Bank.