Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: has anyone here ever built a beach wheelchair?

has anyone here ever built a beach wheelchair?

hi,
    i am a newbie here. i found this forum and i am very happy to join you guys!

i found this forum by accident as i was researching beach wheelchairs. we generally go to one campground at myrtle beach soley because they have a beach wc that they allow campers to use free of charge. it is just a plain and simple chair made out of pvc piping with big balloon wheels. we live about 5 hours from the beach so i am hesitant to put the 1000-3000 into a manufactured beach chair as we only go once or twice a year. but lets face it, a trip to the beach with your family is not much fun if they can go down the beach and you cant. this campground we usually use is not our favorite but they have the chair. so we decided why dont we just build our own! the construction is simple enough but the cost of the wheels and casters is the biggie. looks like about 400. for those alone and i know there has to be some cheaper way. one chair i looked at looks exactly like the manufacturer took a lounge chair and put balloon wheels on it! of course this would have to be a push chair and that means i have to be pushed around, which i hate, but it beats missing out on the beach altogether. so my question is, has anyone here ever attempted to build your own beach chair? any ideas for cheaper wheels and casters? i have searched for hours on end and have been unable to find them cheaper. the construction of the chair will be a breeze for my hubby...he recently built a set of monkey bars out of pvc for my service animal..oliver lee monkey! any ideas would be terrific!!!!

Haven't tried it yet...but the wheels typically used on the beach chairs are made by a company called Roll-EEZ...They make balloon wheels for all sorts of beach equipment such as beachside jet ski trailers, beach bicycles, etc... I've had a hard time finding a direct website for them when searching. pre-injury I had their catalog b/c we used their wheels at work for a custom dolly we needed...The tires/wheels CAN be expensive but if you shop them, you can find better deals...
    'Chelle
    L-1 inc 11/24/03

"My Give-a-Damn's Busted"......

thanks broknwing! the reason you have had trouble finding rolleez is because they renamed their company. it is now wheeleez. i found that in my search as i kept trying to go to the rolleez site and finally one of the links explained that they had renamed the company. if you google wheeleez you will find links for all of their products. i guess we are going to have to bite the bullet and spend the almost 400. for the wheels. we found one used beach chair in all of the usa...it is priced at 1000. not bad considering we already know 400. of that is for wheels. they paid a lot more than that of course. still, 1000. is a lot of money for something i am not going to use more than 10-15 days a year. i think we could make it for about 600. i keep saying we...the builders will be my husband and son. i will be the supervisor!!! lol i will try to keep posting updates if we go ahead and build this. thanks for answering my post. i have only been around here for about 24 hours but already i feel at home. nice bunch of folks!!!!

Don't know if it helps but maybe try Grainger for wheels http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/wwg/start.shtml When we owned a furniture shop we used them a lot and they sell all sorts of wheels, casters, etc.

Once you find the wheels you want, try using a shopbot to find them cheaper?
    My blog: Living Life at Butt Level

Ignite Phoenix #9 - Wheelchairs and Wisdom: Living Life at Butt Level

"I will not die an unlived life. I will not live in fear of falling or catching fire. I choose to inhabit my days, to allow my living to open me, to make me less afraid, more accessible, to loosen my heart until it becomes a wing, a torch, a promise. I choose to risk my significance; to live so that which comes to me as seed goes to the next as blossom and that which comes to me as blossom, goes on as fruit."

Dawna Markova Author of Open Mind.

thank you jenjen. i will go check that out and see what i can find! we made our reservations this morning, so we have to get going on that build! i appreciate your idea and i will let you know if they have what we need!

These seem like a great deal at $799

no first hand knowlege and almost seems like a misprint butt, check um out at

www.eaglesportschairs.com

jenjen,
    i called grainger. they were terrific. they do not carry those balloon wheels but let me tell you the lady was sooo nice. she asked me if i had found the ones i needed and i told her yes, but when i called i needed a dealer number to just complete the call. so she said if i would give her the info on the wheels she would call and order them through grainger as if we were dealers and have them shipped to us directly. she can do that because my husband owns a small company and she can set up an account for him with grainger and do this as outsourcing. i was very impressed with their customer service. so thank you so much for hooking me up with them!

as it turned out, i wont need for her to do that. i attempted to call wheeleez again yesterday and the reason i couldnt get through prior, was that they are in california and i am in virginia and the time difference..duh!!!!...well they were closed and if you were a dealer you could evidently leave a message and if you are not, you cant.

thank you for the info! i have it book marked and believe me, with customer service like that, if we ever have the opportunity, we will use grainger.

tym,
    thank you so much for the link about the chair! what a terrific price! nice looking chair too! i am not able to push myself in a manual chair and this looks too low for someone else to be able to push, so i dont think this one is an option for me. but it is a great looking chair. and, more importantly, thank you for finding it and sending the link.

i think we finally have decided to go ahead and buy the wheels from wheeleez. i called and talked to a guy there and he said to put 49cm wheels($119. ea) on the back and 30cm wheels ($65. ea) on the front. he said not to bother with casters which is an added expense we wont have to deal with. he said to put them directly on axles which they sell for about $25. each. so we still think we can build it pretty cheaply.

i did find a company yesterday who sells them already made. the salesman said this is their off season and if i wanted to buy one, he could discount one for me. he checked with his manager and said they would discount to $800 (full price is over $1200.). if i ordered soon before peak season hits. that is a great price. so we are going to try to see how much the materials will cost and decide which route is cheapest.

i would just go ahead and buy the chair but i just had to get a new power chair in december. my condition is progressing and this chair came in at 17,000.!!!!! my last one was about half of that,so the price tag was a shocker. this new one had to have a power tilt back and power leg rests, plus a special arm trough rest. my old chair was just a regular chair with a special back on it. all of those extras really add up and punch up the cost. thankfully, i am on my husbands insurance and have medicare so those two should pick up a huge chunk of it, but we are still supposed to be left with several thousand dollars when the insurance payments come in. this will really strained us financially, so i dont want to spend a lot more on another chair so soon, because i dont think it is fair to take more money out of our household just for me.

i will keep you posted on how we decide to proceed. if stephen and chris built it, i will get them to take pics as they go. then if anyone else wants to go the build your own route, they can have some ideas.

thanks for everyone's input. if anyone else has any ideas i would love to hear them!

Hi, what is the name of the company that sells it for 800?? Thanks and keep us posted on your progress.

Quote Originally Posted by spinky88
    jenjen,
    i called grainger. they were terrific. they do not carry those balloon wheels but let me tell you the lady was sooo nice. she asked me if i had found the ones i needed and i told her yes, but when i called i needed a dealer number to just complete the call. so she said if i would give her the info on the wheels she would call and order them through grainger as if we were dealers and have them shipped to us directly. she can do that because my husband owns a small company and she can set up an account for him with grainger and do this as outsourcing. i was very impressed with their customer service. so thank you so much for hooking me up with them!

as it turned out, i wont need for her to do that. i attempted to call wheeleez again yesterday and the reason i couldnt get through prior, was that they are in california and i am in virginia and the time difference..duh!!!!...well they were closed and if you were a dealer you could evidently leave a message and if you are not, you cant.

thank you for the info! i have it book marked and believe me, with customer service like that, if we ever have the opportunity, we will use grainger.

tym,
    thank you so much for the link about the chair! what a terrific price! nice looking chair too! i am not able to push myself in a manual chair and this looks too low for someone else to be able to push, so i dont think this one is an option for me. but it is a great looking chair. and, more importantly, thank you for finding it and sending the link.

i think we finally have decided to go ahead and buy the wheels from wheeleez. i called and talked to a guy there and he said to put 49cm wheels($119. ea) on the back and 30cm wheels ($65. ea) on the front. he said not to bother with casters which is an added expense we wont have to deal with. he said to put them directly on axles which they sell for about $25. each. so we still think we can build it pretty cheaply.

i did find a company yesterday who sells them already made. the salesman said this is their off season and if i wanted to buy one, he could discount one for me. he checked with his manager and said they would discount to $800 (full price is over $1200.). if i ordered soon before peak season hits. that is a great price. so we are going to try to see how much the materials will cost and decide which route is cheapest.

i would just go ahead and buy the chair but i just had to get a new power chair in december. my condition is progressing and this chair came in at 17,000.!!!!! my last one was about half of that,so the price tag was a shocker. this new one had to have a power tilt back and power leg rests, plus a special arm trough rest. my old chair was just a regular chair with a special back on it. all of those extras really add up and punch up the cost. thankfully, i am on my husbands insurance and have medicare so those two should pick up a huge chunk of it, but we are still supposed to be left with several thousand dollars when the insurance payments come in. this will really strained us financially, so i dont want to spend a lot more on another chair so soon, because i dont think it is fair to take more money out of our household just for me.

i will keep you posted on how we decide to proceed. if stephen and chris built it, i will get them to take pics as they go. then if anyone else wants to go the build your own route, they can have some ideas.

thanks for everyone's input. if anyone else has any ideas i would love to hear them!
    T6 complete (or so I think), SCI since September 21, 2003

paramoto,
    am i allowed to put the company name here or do i need to pm you?

I am not an expert but I think you can, people post web sites and brands all the time. I found a web site that sells one for 800 plus, if I recall it is the EC 720 model or something like that.
    T6 complete (or so I think), SCI since September 21, 2003