Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 'on-wheel' brakes that work?

'on-wheel' brakes that work?

hiya
    ive just found out that the wijits i want dont have their own parking brakes, and as i use ds locks on my tilite trc with spinergy wheels, i need to buy a set of brakes that i can use. i still have the set of scissor locks that i got with my trc, but theyre useless. i will probably use the clamps to install the new ones though...
    the main reason i went for the tilite scissors in the first place was that they would stay out of my way, but maybe that wont be too much of a problem with the wijits. is it possible to mount brakes on the lower frame bar on the trc? and is there a particular wheel spacing i need?
    thanks,
    amy

I want wijits! Have you tried them yet? The brakes that came on my terminator are good. They're on the wheel brakes but they swing out of the way when unlocked. I'll try and get a picture.

How much for the Wijits? Also, do you know if they be swapped with the entire wheel so I can use regular push rims when the weather is nice?

Quote Originally Posted by amyk
    ...i still have the set of scissor locks that i got with my trc, but theyre useless...
    Will Unilocks help? hey stay outta the way when locked...
    "If ya don't have it in the hips, ya better have it in the lips..." ~ Charlie - Villa Dulce

I am so glad i dont need brakes cause i junked the ones on my SpaZz, she looks so much better without them...

If i really needed brakes id love to get the disc brakes they make for these things butt probly couldnt spring for how much they;d cost...

yes i was considering unilocks (only while using the wijits - i have scars of my hands from the last brakes i used that stay over the wheel) but i cant find them on tilites parts manual. do you know the part number? also i was thinking about those quickie brakes with the grade aids - bearing in mind that my hands will be on the wijit levers at all times, so i wont jam them under

Amy, on the ZR/ZRA Order form it is listed as ZWLK3

http://tilite.com/pdf/TiLite_ZR_ZRA.pdf

On the Parts Manual, it is referred to as a Push-Pull Wheel Lock instead of a UniLock, and is shown on page 7-2. Here it does not give a part number for the entire assembly, it just gives individual part numbers in case you needed a specific replacement part for a brake you already owned:

http://tilite.com/pdf/7_WheelLocks.pdf

I think this is what you need ~ On the 3rd page of the Parts Price List (including the cover page), the "stock codes" are listed as follows:

AS100060 PUSH/PULL WHEEL LOCK LEFT
    AS100060B-Z PUSH/PULL WHEEL LOCK LEFT BLST
    AS100060M-Z PUSH/PULL WHEEL LOCK LEFT MAKO

The numbers are the same for the Right Side Lock, you just replace the last digit 0 with a 1. I do not know what the BLST or MAKO is, but if you call Tilite directly they will definitely explain what you need. If you order these make sure they are set up in the "Push" configuration, as these can be set so pulling engages the brake.

http://tilite.com/pdf/Parts_Price_List.PDF
    Last edited by Rrrrronnn; 01-26-2008 at 05:38 PM.
    "If ya don't have it in the hips, ya better have it in the lips..." ~ Charlie - Villa Dulce

The UniLock assemblies are listed in the parts link, but you have to use the navigation buttons to go to the next page...

"Poly" or "MAKO" denotes that it was modified to hold a Kik Mako or Shox solid tire.

thanks - do you know about wheel spacing? i originally had 3/4", but had to add a 1/2" to each side to make my modified ds locks fit. im going to try asking wijit if their adaptor needs an increase in wheel spacing, but its a bit like pulling teeth. im going to wait for them to answer my last question first... but id like to trim back to 3/4 if i can...

Another option for wheel brakes may be the ADI system that provides true dynamic and park brake functions. With the new Fusion 16 wheel designed to specifially mate with his spline drive system it adds very little width to the chair. Also, the wheel was designed to handle the torques that get applied to the hub when dealing with brake systems such as the D's or others. Their website is adirides.com. Just another option that is out there