Thread: Wise, how does this happen???

Question Wise, how does this happen???

Wise,
    A CC user, Norm, sent this link to me. I don't understand how a pharmaceutical company spends this amount, only to need more.
    Does this mean that Cethrin will not be available if they don't get
    the funding? To me, a layperson, pharm. companies have tons of
    cash.....

Sign me,
    Cathy J, totally confused!

http://www.boston.com/business/healt..._a_brick_wall/

Quote Originally Posted by cathy j
    Wise,
    A CC user, Norm, sent this link to me. I don't understand how a pharmaceutical company spends this amount, only to need more.
    Does this mean that Cethrin will not be available if they don't get
    the funding? To me, a layperson, pharm. companies have tons of
    cash.....

Sign me,
    Cathy J, totally confused!

http://www.boston.com/business/healt..._a_brick_wall/

Cathy, thanks for posting the link. I am very sorry to hear that Alseres is having trouble. The answer to your question is very simple. One has to have a lot of money and a lot of luck to get a therapy approved.

I have now been on the Board of Directors of Acorda Therapeutics for 12 years (since 1995) and the company is on the verge of getting its first product approved. It will take close to $300 million. Of course not all that money was spent on developing the drug. Some of it was spent on licensing other drugs and setting up the company to generate revenues while it is spending so much on developing its first drug (Fampridine). Acorda is now worth $600 million and will likely be one of the few biotech companies that started in the mid-1990's to make it through the gauntlet. Very few do.

As you can read from the article (which is excellent and fair, by the way), raising venture money is not easy and the money comes with big long strings. Investors don't give you money for nothing and their primary goal is the get profit. Alseres has start making money soon or else most of its investors will pull out.

Wise.