Thread: Dr. Wise, please answer me

Dr. Wise, please answer me

Hello Dr. Wise ...

First of all, i want to Thank you for your continuous cooperation with SCI patients

My Q:- I want to go to Iran for SCI treatment after 1 month , and by the way, i'll not pay any money except tickets ... i have called the doctor and he was so kind with me and he told me that they will examine me first and then they will do operation for me if i'm suitable for this surgery ....

Do you advise me to take my chance and go to Iran .. ???

Quote Originally Posted by My_New_Hope
    Hello Dr. Wise ...

First of all, i want to Thank you for your continuous cooperation with SCI patients

My Q:- I want to go to Iran for SCI treatment after 1 month , and by the way, i'll not pay any money except tickets ... i have called the doctor and he was so kind with me and he told me that they will examine me first and then they will do operation for me if i'm suitable for this surgery ....

Do you advise me to take my chance and go to Iran .. ???
    Hope, I don't know enough about the Iranian work to be able to advise you properly. The Tehran University published a paper last year that reported that Schwann cell transplants transplante to the injured spinal cord of rats resulted in functional recovery.

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science...cd218f08b506f7
    Transplantation of Schwann cells to subarachnoid space induces repair in contused rat spinal cord

Masoumeh Firouzia, Corresponding Author Contact Information, E-mail The Corresponding Author, Pouria Moshayedia, b, Hooshang Saberib, Hamid Mobasheria, Farid Abolhassanib, Issa Jahanzadb and Mohsin Razac
    aInstitute of Biochemistry and Biophysics, University of Tehran, Tehran, Iran
    bSchool of Medicine, Tehran University of Medical Sciences, Tehran, Iran
    cDepartment of Physiology, School of Medical Sciences, Tarbiat-Modares University, Tehran, Iran
    Received 24 January 2006; revised 12 March 2006; accepted 29 March 2006. Available online 27 April 2006.

Abstract

Schwann cell transplantation is well known to induce repair in the injured spinal cord which disables millions of injured patients throughout the world. An ideal route of delivering the grafted Schwann cells to the spinal cord should neither cause more injury nor reinitiate inflammatory events and also provide a favorable milieu to the grafted cells. In this study, we have utilized subarachnoid route to transplant Schwann cells and evaluated their effects in a contusive model of spinal cord injury. Adult rats weighing 100–140 g were experimentally injured by crushing the spinal cord with a titanium clip and then divided into four groups (Tracing, Control, Medium-treated and Schwann cell-treated). Cultured Schwann cells (5 × 104 cells in 5 μl) or medium were injected to the animals of corresponding groups via subarachnoid space at the injured site 7 days after injury. In tracing group, Schwann cells (labeled with Hoechst) demonstrated their presence within spinal cord 7 days after transplantation. Evaluation of locomotor performance of animals for 60 days after injury showed that animals treated with Schwann cells had significant improvement (P < 0.01). Similarly, the axon density at the site of injury was significantly higher. The results indicate the efficacy of subarachnoid route for the transplantation of Schwann cells in inducing repair of the contused spinal cord. We conclude that this route can be useful for the transplantation of Schwann cells and offers a hope for the patients suffering from spinal cord injury.

Keywords: Spinal cord injury; Neuroprotection; Schwann cell transplantation; Subarachnoid; Delayed graft
    They apparently will take Schwann cells from a peripheral nerve in the the leg, culture it for some time in the laboratory, and transplant them to the spinal cord. Judging from the rat study, they probably will transplant them into the arachnoid membrane of the surface of the spinal cord. They apparently have done this procedure in 30 patients with. According to one news article, they claim 85% recovery in patients with incomplete spinal cord injuries and 15% recovery in patients with complete spinal cord injuries. I don't know how long after injuries these transplantations were done.

http://www.payvand.com/news/07/feb/1049.html
    2/5/07
    Iran announces innovative new technique to repair spinal cord injuries

TEHRAN, Feb. 5 (Mehr News Agency) -- On Sunday, the Islamic Republic officially announced that Iranian scientists have developed a new technique for treating patients with spinal cord injuries.

In this method of Schwann cell transplantation, the Schwann cells are taken from the back of the patient's leg (below the knee) and grown in the lab. They are then injected into the site of the injury.

Researchers from the Spinal Cord Injury Treatment Center of the Tehran University of Medical Sciences have scientifically proven the efficacy of the new method through 30 operations on humans.

"The degree of recovery is 85 percent in patients with partial paralysis, and 15 percent in patients with full paralysis," the director of the spinal cord injury research group, Hushang Saberi, said at the ceremony held to announce the Iranian scientists' achievement.

Such transplantations are being practiced in Ukraine, China, which uses fetal and adult stem cells, and Russia, which uses dipolar nerve cells, but these techniques are risky, he added.

Thirty patients were chosen to undergo the surgery, 40 percent of whom experienced at least partial recovery as far as sensation and physical movement, with 35 percent showing no change, and 25 percent still in the initial post-surgical stage, he explained.

President Mahmud Ahmadinejad also spoke at the ceremony, saying that his administration supports the country's research projects 100 percent.

Ahmadinejad called on Health Minister Kamran Baqeri Lankarani to make the scientific achievements swiftly and widely available to the public.

The government will pay, either directly or through insurance, for the treatment of any patient with spinal cord injuries who can not afford it, he stated.
    I know of one Chinese group that has done similar Schwann cell transplants into the spinal cord of ten patients with chronic spinal cord injury and the investigator presented the results in the First International Spinal Cord Injury Treatment and Trials Symposium that we held at the end of 2005, suggesting that some of the patient recovered function after the surgery. I hope that the paper will be published soon.

On the other hand, I know that the Bunge Group at the Miami Project has been transplanting Schwann cells into the spinal cords of rats and reported two years ago that Schwann cell transplants alone did not restore as function but combination of Schwann cells, rolipram, and dibutryl-cyclic AMP remarkably restored function in rats. I don't know of any laboratory that has been able to replicate these results. It is a difficult study, We have tried it in our laboratory but did not find any functional improvement.

The Iranian group are clearly serious doctors and scientists. It impresses me that they are not taking money for the procedure. The senior scientist of the group has published one other paper in an Iranian journal (attached). I have good friends who are Iranian doctors in the United States and India. iran has a long tradition of medical and surgical excellence. In summary, that is about all that I know and this is a decision that you have to make.

Wise.
    Last edited by Wise Young; 07-21-2007 at 10:47 PM.

anyway .... Thanks Doctor and i'll go and try ....

wait, what? the trial is free?

i dont qualify but heres their criteria.

http://basir.tums.ac.ir/Default.aspx?tabid=167

Ah, so you have to be incomplete to be eligible.

yea. and ATLEAST 2 years post with no change within 6 months.

along time ago i posted the youtube link about iran.

i just went over to the appara forum to grab the link and someone from Iran responded.

Hi Imight,
    I am from Iran (T12/Complete), I had a meeting with Dr. Saberi who lead this research (First Guy) !!!
    They are at the first step of ladder! What they did so far was some improvement on SCI incomplete patient.
    It seems the video which you mentioned in your topic.
    Also I went to Russia-Moscow for transfusion of stem cell 3 times, result was nothing. I spent lot of money around 60,000 US $.
    It seems the video which I saw from their web site

So if You do not have any experimental procedure in your country just because they respect and value to their people. ( It is not terrible)
    the video is here

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ib-eeAZkII4

propaganda video of course, its creepy but apparently it happened.