Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: What is your reaction time?

Quote Originally Posted by Wise Young
    You can reduce this delay by sitting down and making sure that all parts of your body are well supported so that you don't have to adjust your posture. In normal people, even with the best support, it is difficult to get the reaction time to less than 200 milliseconds.
    That's interesting because that is what I was doing. With each consecutive series of tries, I readjusted myself to better attack the mouse button. Focusing my concentration helped too.

I have long thought that people with cervical spinal injuries who have turned off their postural correction mechanisms should have faster reaction times than people with lower thoracic injuries. That was why I posted this, to see if there are differences.

Wise.
    Thanks for the explanation...I was getting a little worried wondering why my brain was so much slower than everyone else's

I've been getting 3.12-3.28 seconds consistently. I haven't tried it with good posture though. I was actually just going to ask if it had something to do with having SCI since Dr. Young and I have had the slowest times.

Quote Originally Posted by Monique
    Thanks for the explanation...I was getting a little worried wondering why my brain was so much slower than everyone else's

I've been getting 3.12-3.28 seconds consistently. I haven't tried it with good posture though. I was actually just going to ask if it had something to do with having SCI since Dr. Young and I have had the slowest times.
    It's a Jersey thing.
    Last edited by Foolish Old; 01-29-2008 at 01:53 AM.
    Foolish

"We have met the enemy and he is us."-POGO.

"I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it."~Edgar Allan Poe

"Dream big, you might never wake up!"- Snoop Dogg

My best .23

.242 L1 complete injury date March 2006
    L1 Complete - Injury 3/12/06 - Grateful to be alive!!!!

Just tried this again - first round I averaged 186 milliseconds. Interesting thing - I tried to 'load' up my shoulder/arm muscles in anticipation of the red light going off (this comes from dragstrip practice, if you wait till you see green, you've lost already). But as I tried to improve, my RT's went up 210, then leveled off ~220 milliseconds the last couple of rounds. I don't have an SCI, but am diabetic with both peripheral and autonomic neuropathy - would that affect RT's either way?

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by Foolish Old
    It's a Jersey thing.
    Maybe the smarter you are, the slower you are.... hehe... Too many neurons slow you down. Thankfully, New Jersey doesn't have too many gun-toting cowboys that have to survive by being quickdraws mcgraws. We would be dead if that were true. Wise.

Prety fun. Average 0.20299999999999998. Actually had one that was a .16
    Last edited by chasb; 07-01-2008 at 05:18 AM.

.275, but my fastest was .24. I saw a documentary on martial artists and one of the tests precisely measured reaction time (After seeing a light, they had to strike one of five corresponding targets). I believe the man tested averaged an amazing 16th of a second reaction time.
    "I'm lost. I'm no guide, but I'm by your side." - Pearl Jam

"It decomposes, mendicant, therefore, truly, one calls this the world." -- Loka Sutta

When I was in medical school at Stanford, I had worked on a device that tested reaction time of children with scoliosis. With practice, most young adults can react within 180-250 milliseconds. Young children less than 8 years old tend to be very slow (300-400 milliseconds) because they are not yet fully myelinated. Older people (like myself) tend to slow down to 280-320 milliseconds. People are much quicker if they are seated, their bodies are well supported, and the arm is supported.

About 100 milliseconds of the reaction time results from adjustment of posture. When you initiate a voluntary motion, your brain and tells the cerebellum and brainstem to check and adjust the posture first before the movement is allowed to take placed. You can reduce this delay by sitting down and making sure that all parts of your body are well supported so that you don't have to adjust your posture. In normal people, even with the best support, it is difficult to get the reaction time to less than 200 milliseconds.

What we found that was very surprising was that some kids with cerebral palsy, particularly those with athetosis, have very fast reaction times that were often less than 100 milliseconds. I concluded that these kids are not activating their postural correction mechanisms. However, they were very inaccurate in their movements. The test that I used was getting the kids to use a joystick to place one point over a moving point.

I have long thought that people with cervical spinal injuries who have turned off their postural correction mechanisms should have faster reaction times than people with lower thoracic injuries. That was why I posted this, to see if there are differences.

Wise.
    265 , but got it down to 232 with wises coaching . need the lead vests that olympic target shooters use . then will see some kick ass times.

very fun i'm hooked.
    "ELE" ~ Jackie Moon