Thread: free wireless account

Cool free wireless account

I don't know anything about wireless accounts. Are there any free ones? My laptop has wireless capability.

Are you interested in something to use in your home, or out on the road?

In your home, you will need some sort of connectivity to the internet first (DSL, cable), then you can connect a wireless access point to that, and use your computer wirelessly within the WAP's range. This would not be free.

On the road, there are both paid services (like the T-Mobile hotspots at Starbucks) and free services - many public libraries, independent coffee shops, etc. A good resource for finding free wireless hotspots is JWire: http://www.wififreespot.com/

Yha, hotspots aren your only free options... Other than stealing your neighbours signal. However, it is stealling and the US is starting to crack down.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimi5
    I don't know anything about wireless accounts. Are there any free ones? My laptop has wireless capability.
    There are some people who believed in providing free wireless access to their internet lines. However, open wifi lines are rare, mostly because of perceived security problems.

There are several commercial wifi services. I subscribe to two of them.
    • T-mobile hotspots which are in most Borders bookstores, Starbuck coffeeshops, etc. for about $20/month.
    • Boingo Wireless, which specializes in providing wireless service for $22.00/month all over the world, particularly at airports.

Combined these two services gives me a access to wifi in a majority of places that offer wireless. By the way, in many of these places, they allow you to log in for a fee, typically $10. So, if you expect to try to use commercial wireless once or twice a month, it is better just to log in and pay each time rather than geting a subscription.

Wise.