Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Big screen TV

Big screen TV

Me and my DH are looking for a big screen TV . Any opinions and reviews would be nice . We have seen so many . thanks
    SM/ACM Surgery in 1999

When the world says "give up"; hope whispers "try one more time"
    -anonymous

I will be in the market later this year too. You might want to check out Consumers Reports as I know they just recently had a feature on these and my parents got a Sony based on that.

(KLD)

I own a Sanyo 50-something inch plasma. Aside from it eating up a lot of power (which plasmas do) I have had no problems with it. I don't watch shows with it, I use it to play video games on and watch all of my DVDs. I got a great deal on it, which is why I bought it.

My brother owns an Olievia 42" (I think) LCD. He absolutely loves it and has had no problems with it as well. I think they run way cooler than plasmas, and as a result chew up less power. But I love the way plasma displays color.
    No one ever became unsuccessful by helping others out

I bought a Sony Bravia 40" lcd hdtv just before Christmas and I'm happy with it, although it's a 1080i ... I saw a 1080p tonight and thought I could see the difference. Although it was hooked up to a blu-ray high def dvd player.

But it all depends on your source of input ... like we only get about 25 channels with HD broadcasting. I have an older dvd player.

The sucking part is that you have to buy new cables and dvd players/recorders etc to keep up with the damn tv! An HDMI cable can run $100 (I was looking tonight).
    Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

Panasonic makes a nice HD Plasma...I don't remember which model I got but it's 42" and georgeous had it for just over a year now...
    'Chelle
    L-1 inc 11/24/03

"My Give-a-Damn's Busted"......

If I had the money, I'd definitely be getting a Pioneer Elite; on a budget though, I'd probably get a Samsung. I bought my dad a 46" Samsung 1080p LCD for Christmas; good value and pretty nice picture. I'm still fairly satisfied with my two-and-a-half-year-old Sharp Aquos. It's only 1080i, but that's the programming that is available on cable here in my area. I probably won't be in the market for a new television until 1080p programming becomes widespread..
    Daniel

Life isn't like a bowl of cherries or peaches. It's more like a jar of jalapenos--What you do today might burn your ass tomorrow.

If you ain't laughing, you ain't living, baby. Carlos Mencia

Quote Originally Posted by lynnifer
    I bought a Sony Bravia 40" lcd hdtv just before Christmas and I'm happy with it, although it's a 1080i ... I saw a 1080p tonight and thought I could see the difference. Although it was hooked up to a blu-ray high def dvd player.

But it all depends on your source of input ... like we only get about 25 channels with HD broadcasting. I have an older dvd player.

The sucking part is that you have to buy new cables and dvd players/recorders etc to keep up with the damn tv! An HDMI cable can run $100 (I was looking tonight).
    I'm thinking of purchasing Sony Bravia 46" for my bedroom. Three friends bought Sharp Aquos and are very happy with them. I have a '02 Mitsubishi 60" in den and love it. I think they are all good. The cost of HD cable,as Lynn said,is the problem. I don't have it and don't plan on expanding my cable service anytime soon. The older I get,the more I enjoy my tv. Barney looks great on big screen! lol

Go to CostCo

I went there a few months ago and got a Vizio which I was skeptical about. It has turned out to exceed my expectations about 10 fold.

I bought a Sony Bravia 46 inch W-series after Xmas. They had a great deal and threw in a free PlayStation 3 (it arrived last Friday via mail-in redemption promo!). I cannot rave enough about Sony's TrueHD range - the W series is fantastic value, the X and XBR series look great but are pricey.

Unless you want 50+ inches, I wouldn't touch a plasma. They have better colour to begin with but fade quickly. They also have much higher failure rates - just compare the price of extended warranty. Finally, they lack the sharpness of a good LCD.

Also, the difference between 1080i and 1080p is often hard to notice with today's programming - it only really shows as tearing when panning horizontally (when you see it, you'll know!). I say it's minimal because there is very little 1080p content. Almost all digital broadcasts in the world max at 1080i. Unless you're playing Blu-Ray movies or PS3/X-Box 360 games (and even most of those max at 720p) there's not a lot of need for 1080p.

Finally, HDMI cables at $100 are a total rip-off. Unless the cable will be longer than 2 metres (6+ feet) get the cheapest cable you can get. Digital cables (like USB cables) suffer little to no degradation over short distances. See the discussion here:

http://sci.rutgers.edu/forum/showthread.php?t=94124

Chris.
    Last edited by Zeus; 01-21-2008 at 06:57 PM.
    Have you ever seen a human heart? It looks like a fist wrapped in blood! Larry in 'Closer', a play by Partick Marber