Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Snowblowing/mowing the lawn

Snowblowing/mowing the lawn

My husband is a para and it really bothers him that I have to do snow removal and mow the lawn. Those two things were always his "job" and seeing me do it makes him feel useless. What do all of you do? We did hire someone to mow our lawn for about a month but I hate having to add an expense when there is already so many more than we are used to.

We have thought about a riding lawn mower and adding a plow to it? Are there any that are hand controlled only?

Quote Originally Posted by kap
    My husband is a para and it really bothers him that I have to do snow removal and mow the lawn. Those two things were always his "job" and seeing me do it makes him feel useless. What do all of you do? We did hire someone to mow our lawn for about a month but I hate having to add an expense when there is already so many more than we are used to.

We have thought about a riding lawn mower and adding a plow to it? Are there any that are hand controlled only?
    I use a hydrostatic drive mower with no trouble. How strong is he? I have found I need more shoulder strength in the transfer off the mower. I also do the maintainence on it, oil changes, sharpen the blades, etc. You could use one for both mowing and plowing. Mine I use like this: one arm works the steering wheel and the other works the speed lever. The speed lever controls forward speed, braking, and reverse, all in one.

I prefer to have a four wheeler for the plowing as it is also good for trail riding. I have tried taking a ride on the tractor into the woods but it is really very loud and also slow plus bumpy.

kap,
    We purchased a Dixie Chopper lawn mower and it is operated with the hands, the height of the cut is ajusted with a foot pedal. This mower has been a life saver we have 8 acres! My husband is t8 and I have not cut the grass since we got this mower. Other companies make mowers that operate with the hands, they are usually called zero turn type mowers. As for the snow issue we live in the south.

I should really get some photo's or clip taken of me mowing my lawn.

I have a self propeled mower, and the yard is not flat either.

In the spring I typically mow twice a week, down to once a week in the heat of the summer.

I hold the mower with one hand, and push along with the other. It's not easy, but it's some great exercise. Push with one hand one direction, then switch when I come about.
    Rick Brauer or just call me - Mr B

http://www.riseadventures.org

Like SoulScream said, go with a mower w/ a hydrostatic transmission. BUT, be sure it has the hand operated lever (sometimes called the fender mounted). I've seen a lot of hydrostats with a foot pedal. Why would someone want to hold a pedal down while mowing? Anyway, Sears, HomeDepot, Lowes, and Walmart should have a good selection. Most mowers should have a choice of snow blade and snow blower. Good Luck.
    Stupidity ain't illegal, but it sure is inconvenient.

Help me support the 2010 Bike MS.

I mow our yard with a ZTR mower. I mow as fast as it can go, our yard is pretty rough and hilly too. I'd reccomend a ZTR mower anyday over a garden tractor. We used to have lawn tractor, would take us over 4hrs to mow, then we got this and it only took us around 1.5hrs, and we even "increased" our yard, and mow more ditches and what not

This is how I get on:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5tJ9xVoeYo4

Oh, and I'm pretty sure you can get a snowblade attachment for these too, but I dont know how well they would do in the snow. A 4-wheeler would be better suited for that job.
    T8/9 (2-24-06)
    IOWA

Hi Kap,

The following was in the archives:

http://sci.rutgers.edu/forum/archive...p/t-34255.html

Several universities have made farm equipment accessible because a lot of farmers have SCIs. I'm sure the links that KLD posted have been updated since that posting and you should find some small machines and how to adapt them or if someone sells them adapted.

LOL My husband always loved that I did the snow shoveling pre-SCI. I loved the snow.
    Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow."

Disclaimer: Answers, suggestions, and/or comments do not constitute medical advice expressed or implied and are based solely on my experiences as a SCI patient. Please consult your attending physician for medical advise and treatment. In the event of a medical emergency please call 911.

I’ve adapted three different lawn/garden tractors over the years, only for cutting grass and towing stuff. You can find one with a single pedal for brake/clutch and adapt it with a hand control. A cheap one with a gear shift will do because you have to stop to shift anyway. I adapted two this way. The one I use now has a hydrostatic drive and it’s pretty cool. You can rig one up with junk parts (I once used part of a crib bed frame on one..not this one). Or you can weld up an adapter

I tried a Z-turn on my lawn but my yard is too rough and steep. Bouncing around while holding/stabilizing yourself with the control levers takes a lot of getting used to, and I would have to be strapped in.

Here is a picture of my latest setup.

ps. I never could resist Tinkerbell, kap.
    Last edited by ala; 12-07-2007 at 07:01 PM.

I use a Sears rider with a Kohler motor and a hydrostatic trans, no need for any adaptations, the speed and braking are controlled by one lever on the right, its simple. The transfer onto it is fairly easy too. Just put my right foot on the mower deck and push hard with my left hand on the cushion of the wheelchair up into the seat of the tractor.
    "Life is about how you
    respond to not only the
    challenges you're dealt but
    the challenges you seek...If
    you have no goals, no
    mountains to climb, your
    soul dies".~Liz Fordred

I have a Toro zero radius 38" cut. I just take one of the handles off for transfers. I transfer on to it from my wheelchair and then put the handle back on with a 7/16" wrench. The thing is totally hand controlled and turns on a dime. It's a great machine. I got it the summer after my accident.

As for snow, I bought my wife a new snow blower with an electric start. She couldn't start the old one. The really great thing about the snow blower is that the neighbor comes over and does the driveway for us! He doesn't like to see her out in the cold either.