Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: driving

driving

I didn't want to hijack Spidergirl's thread. We are in the process of buying a vehicle and I can not find what is required of me in Minnesota. I have a current license. I think I need to get it renewed this summer. I have looked all over the DMV website and found nothing. I also get different versions of what I need to do. Help! Thank you.

I'm a C5-6, I did training with Courage Center and then I had to take the driving test again to show that I am able to drive with all the hand controls. On the back of my license now it says that I require hand controls. Thats all that I did. So I think at the very least you would need to take the driving test again. You could call the DMV or maybe even Courage Center and check with them, they would probably give a better answer then me.

One thing I was told about here, was NOT to let my liscense lapse before I did the hand control thing. I renewed it a while back, and there were no qyestions. I just rolled in, gave them my paperwork, had my picture taken and left. No problems. The point in Connecticut is that certifying for hand controls with a valid liscense is much simpler that if you don;t have one.
    T7-8 since Feb 2005

Quote Originally Posted by momo3
    I didn't want to hijack Spidergirl's thread. We are in the process of buying a vehicle and I can not find what is required of me in Minnesota. I have a current license. I think I need to get it renewed this summer. I have looked all over the DMV website and found nothing. I also get different versions of what I need to do. Help! Thank you.
    You may not have to do anything at all. You could call and ask the DOT if you need to re-test because of the controls. Your states DOT site might say, the WI site is pretty good.

I had the hand controls put in my car and then rented a passenger applied break attachement just in case I got into to trouble. I live in a small town so I just took it slow and worked my way up. It took about a week of driving an hour or so a day and then I went to the DMV. Here in North Dakota I had to take a driving test just like when you first get your license, I took it in a small town where there was hardly any traffic and passed with flying colors.

Hi momo, how's things up in the Brainerd area? Nisswa is one of my snowmobile getaway spots.
    Like wheelman mentioned, you have to go through a drivers training to operate a vehicle with hand controls. I also did my testing at the courage center in Golden Valley. There might be a courage center closer to your area. I'll attach the website for you to check. good luck, Terry

www.courage.org

Thanks everyone. I will get on it once we get closer to better roads-aka spring.

Things are well up here-need more snow for the trails though. Got the sled out but haven't quite gotten back in the saddle yet. My 14 year old has enjoyed though. There is Courage North in Duluth. I am going to start up rehab again in Feb. so I will talk to them. Just don't want to practice in Duluth-I hated driving there when I was AB.

I hear you on Duluth Momo3 got to love those narrow hilly streets

You'll be glad you are getting to this. I just got back in the road last month. Haven;t gone out much alone yet, as my kids have been home a lot on Christmas break, and it is just easier to let someone load the chair in in crappy weather, but the fact that I CAN go when ever I want ....
    T7-8 since Feb 2005

Quote Originally Posted by sjean423
    The point ... is that certifying for hand controls with a valid liscense is much simpler that if you don;t have one.
    I think this may be true in all states, not just Connecticut. It could be why some of us have slipped by with no issues connected with hand controls. We just went about renewing our licenses when the time came as though there was nothing different and the DMV went along with it.

C.