Thread: Foley 'popping' out still inflated

Foley 'popping' out still inflated

On Dec. 22 and again today my indwelling urethral foley (silicon, 16fr, 10cc balloon) just 'popped' audibly out while I was being lifted by the ceiling lift. Both time there was no pain, AD or bleeding. Whats up? It seems like it should hurt? Could the catheter not be inserted fully?
    Emily, C-8 sensory incomplete mom to a 8 year old and a preschooler. TEN! years post.

Are you sure that the lift sling wasn't pulling on the catheter?
    Could you have had a bladder spasm caused by "pain" from the sling (maybe pinching)?
    How long had the catheter been in place?
    My wife's came out once; we assume it was due to a spasm; it was associated with mild AD. I looked at that balloon & said "THAT came out of THERE?" Ouch.
    - Richard

I wonder if it is pressure from the baby pushing it? Hope it doesn't happen again.

I must admit, just the title of this thread made me cringe! I haven't had them in very often, but when I do, I have a paranoid fear of getting the foley ripped out when I move. So much so that I ask for extra tape to tape it to my leg, and I hold on to the tube for dear life anytime I've moved.

I can't imagine this being a good thing for men, what with the prostate in the way and the longer urethra. Maybe with women there is less resistance to them coming out? Was there no blood or subsequent leaking?

Thats the strangest thing, that there was no pain...getting a foley reinserted hurt though, and there was minor bleeding. My OB looked at my urethra and it looked 'normal'. It could be that the foley got pulled as I have a very hard time keeping it taped due to adhesive sensitivity and the need to have as much length of the foley availiable so that I can irrigate easily.
    Hmmm, well hopefully it won't happen again, after I have the baby I hope that my mitrofanoff keeps working.
    Emily, C-8 sensory incomplete mom to a 8 year old and a preschooler. TEN! years post.

The baby pushing on the bladder could have caused a spasm that pushed it out. Whatever you do, don't put a larger foley in (it sretches the urethra). You might want to put just a little more saline in the balloon.

CKF

How much can the balloon be overfilled before there's a danger of it bursting?
    - Richard