Thread: large intestine full of stool

Exclamation large intestine full of stool

hi, everybody

i was hospitalized with pneumonia, a bad bladder infection but what puzzled me was that they found out that my whole large intestine was full of stool!

actually i went to the ER with a very bad nausea, had been vomiting for 2 days in a row and couldn't keep anything down.... then they took a picture of my belly and saw all that stool in my large intestine.

my question is : how could this have happened since i was having big bowel movements every other day?

how can i prevent this from happening again?

any input will be greatly appreciated!

thank you
    lola
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing" ~ edmund burker

c4-5 quad

Most quads do their bowel program every other day, including me. I think a person can get backed up like that even if they have good bottle results. Maybe it has something to do with going every other day, I don't know I'm not an expert. I do know that I have had similar experiences. I remember going to the urologist to get my annual checkup, which included an x-ray, and I had a lot of crap in me even though I didn't feel that bad. I knew that I might be a little constipated. I've had similar experiences where I almost completely lost my appetite, and sometimes felt nauseous. One time I didn't go much for almost a week and finally decided to go to the ER and get an enema. I don't have an answer. Just the more obvious, diet of coarse. You could keep track of food and results. I tried that but I didn't keep it up. Exercise. All stuff you've probably heard already. Water and fluids. I know that's not an answer to why all that got built up when you are still going. I think but I'm not sure a long time ago when I got real constipated for Dr. said that when doing the bowel program every other day, over time you could get back up. I don't know why a nurse hasn't responded to this question, but maybe you should request that a nurse give her take on it.

Blog Entries

Red face It's been my experience that your bowel program should

more closely mirror your metabolism cycle of before SCI, or you may end up with difficulties like these. Unless you're used to having stool movements every other day before SCI, how can you expect to adapt to it post SCI.
    Of course they're always exceptions but I think you'll be facing periodic clean outs.
    What I found is that over time, your stool starts becoming looser, because it has to break down to bypass small blockages. This is not constipation, because you're still having regular movements. It won't be completely asymptomatic however, your adboman becomes hardend, and eventually you'll have pain.
    My doctor advised to try weekly cleanouts, consisting of laxitives.
    Everyone's motility is affected differently. If I skip even one day, I suffer like hell, but I used to poop 2-3 times a day before SCI.

Tim C's advice about mimicking your pre-sci bowel pattern is good advice. Going every other day may not work for you. Do you have any clue when and how frequently you emptied your bowel before you were injured?

CKF