Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sheering to a stage 2...

Sheering to a stage 2...

Hi guys,

During a trip home I managed to whip the scab off a spot on my bum and due to loosing weight my rather boney butt has developed quite a sheer, no doubt during transferring along a sliding board.

It's quite a large size, approx 3cm x 2cm, and since the scab came it's been open. I know I should be on bedrest, but due to serious spasticity it is very hard for me remain in bed. I am still getting up on the sore and until today when we tried a duoderm patch I have sitting on it without a dressing (for the last 10 days). It's not got any worse, but no better either.

Todays Hairy Ass Pic - and no, my nurse didn't clean my butt properly before taking the pic!

It's very hard to find to adhere to such a hairy area, and duoderm tends to slip and stuff like versiva xc wont stick.

Now I know I should be off it, I really do, but if any can suggest a very sticky dressing to use in such an area please let me know.

Andy.
    C5/6 Tetraplegic, injured since 1990.

Tegaderm may stick a little better. Also, some of the chain pharmacy stores carry their own brand. I am thinking that since they try to come in cheaper, they may stick better.
    CKF

Andy C.

It would seem from your profile that you have the SCI miles to know better than getting up on a pressure area. Listen to your head.

In my opinion 'not getting any better' can only mean it's getting worse in some way that is yet to manifest.

As for 'sticky' stuff, maybe comfeel with tegaderm to secure the edges.

How does the wound look to you, CKF? I'm guessing your advice would be "GET OFF IT" also!

I have tegaderm, but thought that may roll/wrinkle up when sliding on the board.

Also, should I remove the dressing overnight to allow the wound to dry? It gets quite wet with duoderm and off course sitting (not smelly or colored).

Andy.

Quote Originally Posted by brocko
    It would seem from your profile that you have the SCI miles to know better than getting up on a pressure area. Listen to your head.
    I know you're correct, but it's the first time i've ever had a skin problem in 17 years, so never needed bed rest.... and the thought of it when i live alone scares me...

A.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy C
    I know you're correct, but it's the first time i've ever had a skin problem in 17 years, so never needed bed rest.... and the thought of it when i live alone scares me...

A.
    I really think skin issues are worth changing your lifestyle/routine for. As about a million people here can tell you, the longer you leave it the longer it takes.

I imagine the thought of being trapped in bed, and all the functional limitations that ensue, is what presents the barrier for you.

If it was me (and time to sound like my mother here!) I would be taking whatever steps necessary to see improvement. Have you thought about hiring a pressure relieving airflow mattress? This may be a good compromise as it allows you to lie on your back in bed whilst still offering a therapeutic benefit, from this position you should be able to arrange access to telephone, remote and lap top/computer.

Make sure you keep your fluids up, vitamin B if possible, and think happy thoughts

17 years without major issues is a bloody good run, take your medicine now. Don't take this the wrong way but I think without experiencing how difficult these bloody things can be you may not be appropriately frightened.

just my two cents/pence.

I am making plans for the event... i've found a company I can hire a profiling bed from which I can put in the front room where the tv, stereo, etc. is, plus it's on wheels so I can spin the bed round when turning. Also looking for a laptop, i'm wifi ready thankfully!

So hopefully off my butt in a cpl of days time.
    Last edited by Andy C; 01-15-2008 at 09:07 AM.

Cool.

Pity you have to buy a laptop for the occasion though

Oh Andy ..... take care of that shear .. it looks just like what Bill's looked like "in the beginning" and here we are over a year later still dealing with it. If you can keep it clean and moist for healing ..... ZERO ZERO pressure .... you've got a good chance of nipping this in the bud!!
    I know it looks like nothing to get too excited about but don't be fooled .. get off it .... now ..... please ! It's unbrelievable how quickly these damn things can get ugly ..... all the best and take care!

Obieone
    ~ Be the change you wish to see in the world ~ Mahatma Gandi

" calling all Angels ...... calling all Angels ....walk me through this one .. don't leave me alone .... calling all Angels .... calling all Angels .... we're tryin' and we're hopin' cause we're not sure how ....... this .... goes ..."
    Jane Siberry

i'm no doctor lol. i have had a couple sores on my ankles and the nurse who came to the house to take care of them always used duoderm. the sore took 4 months to seal up and heal. i think the duoderm just keep the area wet all the time and it could never seal up and heal. i got one about 2 weeks ago from the bracket that holds the foot plate assy to the chair. theres a real sharp edge there. had a spasm and it ripped the skin right off. i just cleaned it 3 or 4 times a day with that dial foam anti stuff. it sealed up in about a week. now i have a scab. i wear thick hunting socks during the day to protect my feet. at night , i take the socks off. i sleep so the scab never touches anything and can breathe. bottom line , get it to a scab and stay off it. that duoderm is crap.
    oh well