Thread: Intravesical Administration of Ditropan

Intravesical Administration of Ditropan

My daughter has a neurogenic bladder and taking Ditropan has had awful side effects on her. We tried Detrol and used the Oxytrol patch but we didn't see the same results as when she was taking Ditropan by mouth. The doctor suggested trying intravesical administratin of the Ditropan after doing her catheter (we do them every 4 hours). I tried squirting the medication in once her bladder was emptied, but the medicine just squirted right back out of the catheter. I believe I don't have the right supplies, but the doctors office can't help me because they have not had a patient use this process. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated-thanks so much.

That's weird. Do you take the catheter right out after installation? I use a 16fr catheter and 60cc syringe [though only inject 30ccs of water with crushed pills].
    Embrace uncertainty. Hard problems rarely have easy solutions. Jonah Lehrer

You should leave the catheter in for a couple of minutes - leave the syringe attached and then remove as one unit.
    CKF

My problem is finding a catheter and a syringe that fit well together so that air does not get in to cause a leak of the medicine.

For some reason I can't find online the syringes I use. they are Dover piston 60cc with catheter tip and I've used them 25 years, with a Mentor catheter with a funnel end [14 fr when I was a teen]. i get them from Med Ship direct which no longer has a website, their # is 800-633-1565.

Also i take them out as soon as the solution is instilled and never have it leak out.
    Embrace uncertainty. Hard problems rarely have easy solutions. Jonah Lehrer