Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: bladder trouble

bladder trouble

Jess is having trouble with his bladder. He doesnt think it is spasms though. The doctor has had him trying 3 different bladder meds for spasms, all not working. He has had tests for kidney stones, etc, UTI, and had the "camera" thing (sorry, cant remember what its called). He said his bladder hurts alot and he feels like he needs to cath but he doesnt. Does anyone have any idea. Someone suggested trouble with enlarged prostrate but the doc said that he didnt think that would/could be his problem. I hate to hear him talk because I can hear the pain in his voice. Anything anyone can advise.

OK, this is going to sound REALLY REALLY stupid, but did they check him for a KIDNEY infection...not a basic UTI, but an actual kidney infection? been fortunate enough to not have one post-SCI, but about a year before my accident I had a gawd-awful one and symptoms were similar, bladder/kidneys hurt A LOT and felt like I had to pee all the time...I'd think that since they've done the other stuff they'd have checked this, but doesn't hurt to ask...

Sorry that Jesse is having so much trouble and feelin' so crappy. I hope that he figures this out soon and that it's nothing major...
    'Chelle
    L-1 inc 11/24/03

"My Give-a-Damn's Busted"......

When I was like that it was from kidney stones. My only suggestion sounds dumb but it can't hurt and gives me relief when I'm like that...tell him to take some Alka-seltzer. If I take it for a few days, it seems to let me relax and get better. In Australia they sell a version of it for bladder pain/spasms.

Did he evaluate him for prostatitis? When did he last have urodynamics? How does he know it is not bladder spasm? Is his urologist a neurological urologist? Have you considered a second opinion?

It could be visceral (organ) neuropathic pain, but this should not be determined until everything else is ruled out. Does he have other problems with neuropathic pain?

(KLD)

Jess has been through every test for his bladder problem there is I believe and everything turned out good. The drs. are saying it is bladder spasms which Jess has had for 4 years but the medication(s) he has been on have always worked up until a month ago. So if this is indeed the problem, any other suggestions as to the best med. for spasms. I cant even tell you what he has been on but if I had some suggestions I could ask Jess if he has tried it. I still dont know if that cystitis thing (whatever) has been ruled out. How do they test for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Jesse's Mom
    Jess has been through every test for his bladder problem there is I believe and everything turned out good. The drs. are saying it is bladder spasms which Jess has had for 4 years but the medication(s) he has been on have always worked up until a month ago. So if this is indeed the problem, any other suggestions as to the best med. for spasms. I cant even tell you what he has been on but if I had some suggestions I could ask Jess if he has tried it. I still dont know if that cystitis thing (whatever) has been ruled out. How do they test for it.
    ARGH! If I were him, I'd be sooooooo irritated with the dr's...I've got such little patience for the, 'well we can't figure anythign else out, so it must be this" theories...Nonetheless, I HOPE that he gets some relief soon...Onto bladder meds...I take Sanctura, A VERY high dose, b/c I have a very obnoxious bladder.. I take 40mg 2x/day...That's twice the FDA approved dose & I have to fight insurance every year, but it works for me & I've tried just about everything else with either no success or dangerous allergic reactions...I am VERY fortunate that I've got no side effects from it(or if I do have dry eyes, I always attribute it to never taking my contact lenses out, I've ALWAYS had dry eyes, it's nothing new...lol)

Other meds I've tried:
    Ditropan (didn't work)
    Ditropan XL (didn't work)
    Oxytrol Patch (didn't work)
    Detrol LA (allergic)
    Vesicare (severly, dangerously allergic...)

Have not tried Enablex...would have had to if my new presc insurance co this year had denied my Sanctura, but they accepted the documentation from my dr...YEAH!

Hope Jesse gets this figured out soon....Let us know how it goes...
    'Chelle
    L-1 inc 11/24/03

"My Give-a-Damn's Busted"......

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse
    Did he evaluate him for prostatitis? When did he last have urodynamics? How does he know it is not bladder spasm? Is his urologist a neurological urologist? Have you considered a second opinion?

It could be visceral (organ) neuropathic pain, but this should not be determined until everything else is ruled out. Does he have other problems with neuropathic pain?

(KLD)
    Jess has never had problems with pain so this is very new for him. He said it is really hard to describe what it feels like although pain is part of it. The tech. put 450 cc in his bladder and he had to make her stop but said that everything looked good, had him cough and nothing went into the kidneys. These are my words now so if it sounds wrong, it is only because I worded it incorrectly. I still have to ask him if his urologist is a neurological nurologist. Actually, I did ask him but he misunderstood me because he said the nurse that did the urodynamics test only does patients who are SCI, spina bifida, etc. He is busy traveling right now but when we all get back together in TX I am going to discuss with him a second opinion. As a matter of fact, he has a standing appointment with Dr. Donovan at TIRR , perfect timing.

There aren't too many better than Dr. Donovan... hope he gets this figured out.
    CKF

Let us know how he makes out.....
    what kind of meds was he taking that worked 'till a month ago?
    Sounds like they were for bladder spasms? Dan's having issues
    and we're trying to rule out stuff.
    Thanks,
    C

Quote Originally Posted by Broknwing
    ARGH! If I were him, I'd be sooooooo irritated with the dr's...I've got such little patience for the, 'well we can't figure anythign else out, so it must be this" theories...Nonetheless, I HOPE that he gets some relief soon...Onto bladder meds...I take Sanctura, A VERY high dose, b/c I have a very obnoxious bladder.. I take 40mg 2x/day...That's twice the FDA approved dose & I have to fight insurance every year, but it works for me & I've tried just about everything else with either no success or dangerous allergic reactions...I am VERY fortunate that I've got no side effects from it(or if I do have dry eyes, I always attribute it to never taking my contact lenses out, I've ALWAYS had dry eyes, it's nothing new...lol)

Other meds I've tried:
    Ditropan (didn't work)
    Ditropan XL (didn't work)
    Oxytrol Patch (didn't work)
    Detrol LA (allergic)
    Vesicare (severly, dangerously allergic...)

Have not tried Enablex...would have had to if my new presc insurance co this year had denied my Sanctura, but they accepted the documentation from my dr...YEAH!

Hope Jesse gets this figured out soon....Let us know how it goes...
    Ok, I talked to Jess. I might have these spelled wrong but here are the medications he has tried: Ditropan, worked then quit working; vesicare, detro, worked then quitworking; enable X, never worked, and now something that sounded like Sentra which I am assuming is Sanctura but he is saying it wrong. He said it has actually started to do a pretty descent job so hopefully that is all it took was the right medication. Thanks for the help in all of the suggestions everyone. I missed coming to CC for a long time and now I realize how much I really do rely on it sometimes.