Thread: Who here has had there vertabre replaced..

Who here has had there vertabre replaced..

Has anybody has had there vertabre replaced with a cage (spacer)??

If your vertabre has been severly crushed like mine, chances are you had it replaced with a titanium cage. My question is to anybody that has gone through this procedure, do you think your pain ( if your experiancing any ) is attributed from it???

The feeling that I have at my injury level is undescribable at times. Just curious what everybody else is going through. ??? ?????

Didn't have a cage put in but I have a donor bone in there. A peice of some guys femur is in place of my T12. No pain there really just stiffness from the rods.

Quote Originally Posted by addiesue
    Didn't have a cage put in but I have a donor bone in there. A peice of some guys femur is in place of my T12. No pain there really just stiffness from the rods.
    Your t-12 is a total replacement, or partial????

Total. It was in so many pieces they had to fish it out of my cord.

My wife's T-5 was replaced with a cage. She has a good deal of pain although it's not possible to attribute it to the cage, rather than to general cord damage.
    - Richard.

The Dr. told me he removed 80 % of my T12 and put in a titanium cage used crused bone from a rib

I have had three vertebrae removed. I have had both donor graft and bone from my hip.

I do not believe the grafting of bone has caused any central pain. It is like Dr. Young has explained here. Once you fix one motion segment, the loading goes to the levels above and below. So fixation has that potential. That is not central pain, that is normal pain.

Since non fusion allows exaggerated movement it makes the likelhiood of compression/bending pain on discs much greater. Some docs have gone to a cage filled with bone material, which they hope will fuse better. I have not seen proof that using a cage results in higher percentage of actual fusion than the old fashioned graft. The problem is that success varies from institution to institution and at the really top places, regular bone grafting is reported to equal or exceed fusion with a cage. The other problem is that some of the series come from doctors with an interest in the product. I think some docs were using some kind of screws and owned the company. Anyway, a few percentage points may not be conclusive either way.