Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stunning...what do you think?

Stunning...what do you think?

Drug can reverse Alzheimer´s symptoms in minutes

A drug used for arthritis can reverse the symptoms of Alzheimer's "in minutes". It appears to tackle one of the main features of the disease - inflammation in the brain.
    The drug, called Enbrel, is injected into the spine where it blocks a chemical responsible for damaging the brain and other organs.
    A pilot study carried out by U.S. researchers found one patient had his symptoms reversed "in minutes".
    Other patients have shown some improvements in symptoms such as forgetfulness and confusion after weekly injections over six months.
    The study of 15 patients with moderate to severe Alzheimer's has just been published in the Journal of Neuroinflammation by online publishers Biomed Central.
    The experiment showed that Enbrel can deactivate TNF (tumour necrosis factor) - a chemical in the fluid surrounding the brain that is found in Alzheimer's sufferers.
    When used by arthritis sufferers, the drug is self-administered by injection and researchers had to develop a way of injecting it into the spine to affect the brain cells.
    Sue Griffin, a researcher at the University of Arkansas for Medical Sciences, said: 'It is unprecedented to see cognitive and behavioural improvement in a patient with established dementia within minutes of therapeutic intervention.
    'This gives all of us in Alzheimer research a tremendous new clue
    about new avenues of research.' Enbrel is not approved for treating Alzheimer's in the U.S. or the UK and is regarded as highly experimental, said Dr Griffin.
    'Even though this report predominantly discusses a single patient it is of significant scientific interest because of the potential insight it may give into the processes involved in the brain dysfunction of Alzheimer's,' she added.

http://www.jneuroinflammation.com/content/5/1/3

http://www.jneuroinflammation.com/co...2-2094-5-3.pdf
    Last edited by Mike C; 01-10-2008 at 01:39 PM.
    "So I have stayed as I am, without regret, seperated from the normal human condition." Guy Sajer

hopefully their on to something. going to be alot of patients , when the baby boomers start aging.
    oh well

"So I have stayed as I am, without regret, seperated from the normal human condition." Guy Sajer

I saw that too. My elderly father in law has alzheimer's and it is just reaching the point of really affecting his life. Hopefully they are on to something here.
    T7-8 since Feb 2005

The drug is available now. I say shots for everybody with Alzheimers right away...no wait.

Excellent to read. Thanks for posting.

Makes me wonder about what we'll be reading about as 'miracles' in twenty years from now.
    Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

Like for SCI as an example? Sigh.

Instant neurons! I am very skeptical. Wise.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike C

A drug used for arthritis can reverse the symptoms of Alzheimer's "in minutes". It appears to tackle one of the main features of the disease - inflammation in the brain.
    The drug, called Enbrel, is injected into the spine where it blocks a chemical responsible for damaging the brain and other organs.
    A pilot study carried out by U.S. researchers found one patient had his symptoms reversed "in minutes".
    Other patients have shown some improvements in symptoms such as forgetfulness and confusion after weekly injections over six months.
    The study of 15 patients with moderate to severe Alzheimer's has just been published in the Journal of Neuroinflammation by online publishers Biomed Central.
    The experiment showed that Enbrel can deactivate TNF (tumour necrosis factor) - a chemical in the fluid surrounding the brain that is found in Alzheimer's sufferers.
    When used by arthritis sufferers, the drug is self-administered by injection and researchers had to develop a way of injecting it into the spine to affect the brain cells.
    Sue Griffin, a researcher at the University of Arkansas for Medical Sciences, said: 'It is unprecedented to see cognitive and behavioural improvement in a patient with established dementia within minutes of therapeutic intervention.
    about new avenues of research.' Enbrel is not approved for treating Alzheimer's in the U.S. or the UK and is regarded as highly experimental, said Dr Griffin.
    'Even though this report predominantly discusses a single patient it is of significant scientific interest because of the potential insight it may give into the processes involved in the brain dysfunction of Alzheimer's,' she added.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike C

I really hope that if this is not so, it will soon be so. Maybe one day soon we will have the answer for all these diseases that plague mankind.

Raven

After looking at that paper, I think that this is real and very interesting. I am putting my skepticism aside.

A little bit of history might be of interest as well. Some of you may remember thalidomide, the drug that made babies that don't have arms and legs? Thalidomide was very popularly used by women to treat nausea and morning sickness.

Well, thalidomide turned out to be one of the very first and most effective TNF-alpha blockers. TNF-alpha is one of the most important inflammatory cytokines that plays a major role in many tissues, including spinal cord injury. There has been talk about trying out thalidomide in spinal cord injury, for example. TBF-alpha has also been implicated in the pathogenesis of motoneurons (Source) in amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS) and also demyelination in multiple sclerosis. Finally, the FDA recently approved thalidomide (of course with special precautions to ensure that it is not taken b pregnant women) to be used for the treatment of psoriasis and rheumatoid arthritis. So, a drug that was considered to be insufferably evil and that led to the formation of the Food and Drug Adminstration has now taken shown to have beneficial effects in many diseases.

The fact that this TNF-alpha blocker has such dramatic effects of Alzheimer's suggests strongly that TNF-alpha may play a major role in the symptoms of the disease. This is going to open a whole new field of research.

Wise.