Thread: Ford E150

Ford E150

I have heard as of 2002 Ford E150's are not to be used as a wheelchair vehicle because after the modifications the weight of the vehicle is more than vehicle specifications. Has anybody else heard about this? If so do you know where I can find information about this? Any information is appreciated.

Go to a Ford Dealership and ASK!

I had a '98 E150 and using as a passenger van and my local conversion center told me that they won't convert it for me to drive.. I would have to get a E250. Give them a call. 1-877-437-8267.

Life isn't like a bowl of cherries or peaches. It's more like a jar of jalapenos--What you do today might burn your ass tomorrow.

If you ain't laughing, you ain't living, baby. Carlos Mencia

They will convert an E150 but it is not an ideal vehicle to be using day in and out for a handicapped conversion. It is not set up to handle that kind of weight and the wear and tear of operating a lift every day. Think of it as a lightweight. It will work but will not last as long. I have the E250, the suspension and everything is more suited to handle the long-term use. You give up a little bit in the comfort department because of the stiffer suspension but if you're looking for something that is going to last in a full-sized van that is what you need to be looking at.

Use of E-150

I've been using E-150 for 33 years and never had any problems...the reason behind using the 250 is they cost more, and have a higher mark up...plane and simple.

Actually, I think it was because of the lowered floors and fuel tank location problems caused them to stop mod's on the 150. And now I believe their are only two conv co's certified to do mods and will/can only do them on 250 because of government crash test spec's. I had a 95 E150 lowered flr and was always mashing the gas tank. But that baby rode like a dream and got very decent gas mileage. My new 250 rides....well..like a truck! poor mileage too.
    DIGG.

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by HACKNSACK44
    I have heard as of 2002 Ford E150's are not to be used as a wheelchair vehicle because after the modifications the weight of the vehicle is more than vehicle specifications. Has anybody else heard about this? If so do you know where I can find information about this? Any information is appreciated.
    The 150 isn't suitable anymore for converting because the equipment adds considerable weight and with a power chair and occupants would often exceed the weight capacity listed on the frame (driver's door B pillar) of the vehicle.

Quote Originally Posted by catshb
    The 150 isn't suitable anymore for converting because the equipment adds considerable weight and with a power chair and occupants would often exceed the weight capacity listed on the frame (driver's door B pillar) of the vehicle.
    The E150 has a rated payload of over 3,000 pounds. My capacity is listed at 3,314lbs. So unless you are lowering the floor or doing other frame modifications, you should be fine. As an example:

Even with:
    6 adults = 6 x 200lbs
    Wheelchair Lift + Seat Base (or tie-down) = 600lbs
    Power chair = 250lbs

You still have 1,200lbs of rated capacity remaining

Actually Digger was correct...it has to do with NHSTB regulations having to do with the impact testing and the location of the fuel tank. 2001 was the last year that E150's could have lowered floors. Newer E150's can still have lifts and raised roofs, hand controls, etc...BUT the floors can not be lowered due to the gas tank locations and crash zone reinforcements. It has NOTHING to do with the load capacity of the truck...that has NOT changed, it's STILL a half ton van... the E250 is still a 3/4 ton van the E350 is still a one ton van... those specs have not changed any. IF you REALLY want an E150 van(although it's a lot of excess stress on it and you'll have a van that leans to the right a bit) you can have one with a lift installed w/out lowering the floor and just a raised roof...OR you can do a UVL but that changes your ground clearance a bit...

E150's(or ANY manufacturer 1/2 ton van) have never been an ideal vehicle for a lift conversion because of the load capacity is so strained...If you ever take a good look at one, you'll notice that it leans to the right quite a bit...This puts a lot of excess wear and tear on the suspension and the tires as well. It's still a viable option, just not ideal...never has been...
    'Chelle
    L-1 inc 11/24/03

"My Give-a-Damn's Busted"......