Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Movie Recommendations - should I go see...

BuffyBeth1 Why is James Berardinelli your favorite reviewer? Same tastes / opinions?
    Not knocking your favorite - just curious
    I don't have a favorite reviewer -
    I rarely have much of a disagreement with his reviews; a good reviewer's a useful tool and a great reviewer's, well, a great resource.
    http://reelviews.net/archives/a_archives.html
    Berardinelli has over 3,300 full-length movie reviews posted on his own ReelViews website, as well as being a prominent contributor to such sites as Rotten Tomatoes.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_B...li#Film_critic
    "The world will not perish for want of wonders but for want of wonder."
    J.B.S.Haldane

Quote Originally Posted by Juke_spin
    I rarely have much of a disagreement with his reviews; a good reviewer's a useful tool and a great reviewer's, well, a great resource.
    http://reelviews.net/archives/a_archives.html
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_B...li#Film_critic
    I've bookmarked his site.
    Thanks

ooohh - he didn't like Bad Education

Do you agree with his review?

Quote Originally Posted by Beth29
    I've bookmarked his site.
    Thanks

ooohh - he didn't like Bad Education

Do you agree with his review?
    Yes. Sorry, you asked; I even had to watch it twice to make sure it was that bad. The heavy-handed theme of victimization became stifling but, hey, you've got to admit that he's (J.B.'s) not flatout panning it. Look at how he opens the review:
    In recent years, few things have been more certain than the guarantee of something delicious from director Pedro Almodóvar. Almodóvar has become like a trusted brand name - reliable and consistent. Unfortunately, with his new effort, called Bad Education, the streak ends. By ordinary standards, this movie would be considered unremarkable. However, by the standards this director has established, Bad Education represents Bad Almodóvar.
    "The world will not perish for want of wonders but for want of wonder."
    J.B.S.Haldane

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse
    Orangejello, I agree! Which is your favorite? I have a hard time choosing between Women on the Verge of a Nervous Breakdown, All About My Mother, Talk to Her, and Volver. I think his films just keep getting better and better! He shows a particular sensibility for women and their feelings and issues, even when the main characters may be male.
    (KLD)
    I am always glad to find fellow Almodovar fans

Picking my favorite is so hard because I like them all so much. I have tried to rank them in the past but the order changes every time I re-watch one of his movies. I love his ability to explore very dark and complex themes with such humour and wit, while at the same time never judging the actions of his often very flawed characters.

"Women on the Verge of a Nervous Breakdown" was the first movie of his I ever saw. It was so different from anything else I had ever seen and I was an instant fan. It has always been one my favorite Almodovar movies.

"Talk to Her" and especially "All About My Mother" really struck me as turning points in his career. He still thrives on the outlandish and unexpected but for me these two movies seemed to mark a more mature direction with his movies. I like them both very much.

I don't think it's one of his better made movies and the plot is very uneven but I have always had a soft spot for "Kika." The dysfunctional, selfish, and totally unlikeable characters really grew on me as they tried to so hard to get themselves out of trouble and just ended up digging themselves further in the hole.

"Dark Habits" with its convent of sinful nuns and "What Have I Done to Derserve This" with its beleagured housewife dealing with an impossible family are also among my favorites.

There are so many more to list that I like..."Tie Me Up, Tie Me Down," "Matador," "High Heels," "Bad Education". I better stop here

I did see "The 400 Blows" and liked it.
    At the Cinematheque (where these films are shown) the audience tends to chat with each other as they walk out (as opposed to typical franchised theaters where it's odd to talk to the strangers leaving the theater next to you).
    Many of them were impressed with the scenes of the children's faces while they watched a puppet show.

Next up is "The District"….
    Tonight we get to have the film introduced by Aniko Imre, Ph.D. who will lead a discussion afterwards.
    She's a Film Professor at the University of Southern California and has written about this movie and currently being interviewed on the radio.

The Youtube link is in Hungarian - but visually you'd get an idea what the "look" of the film is and I'll have the benefit of subtitles.
    You may have the benefit of knowing Hungarian.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qo26HkkuNoU

http://imdb.com/title/tt0398237/maindetails

http://cine.hu/district/
    You can launch the trailer I saw at the movie's website - it took some time and used RealPlayer - but it included subtitles

I found this at the site to and wanted to share:

The District's a mate, one of a kind,
    You took a knock and lost your mind.
    See this tale of the town unfold,
    A house of cards in a land of gold.
    You can't get lost, diggin' around,
    If ya got the cash, you're safe and sound.
    The cops down there don't fuck about,
    Pay them off or just get out.
    We all know where we belong,
    Pimpin' and trickin' all day long.
    Some new guy wants to get to the top
    Don't cost much to give it a pop.
    The gov'ment throws all sorts in 'ere,
    Chinese, Arab, Gypsy, queer.
    Everything looks grey and brown,
    Take one card out and the lot falls down.
    Cash makes a dash from hand to hand,
    All addin' up in a promised land.
    The shit we go through ev'ry day,
    It's a bitch of a game, you wanna play?

Does anyone know about this film or have anything to add?

My wife and I saw "The Diving Bell and the Butterfly tonight. I loved it and cried for about 40 minutes of the film. The tears were about the beauty and wonder of life, things that this film conveys in spades.

In the last five years, I've seen only one other film that moved me as much, Pedro Almodovar's "Talk to Her."

Anyway, I recommend TDB&TB and the book is equally incredible.

John
    "Hope is like a road in the country; there was never a road, but when many people walk on it, the road comes into existence." Lin Yutang

Quote Originally Posted by john smith
    My wife and I saw "The Diving Bell and the Butterfly tonight. I loved it and cried for about 40 minutes of the film. The tears were about the beauty and wonder of life, things that this film conveys in spades.

In the last five years, I've seen only one other film that moved me as much, Pedro Almodovar's "Talk to Her."

Anyway, I recommend TDB&TB and the book is equally incredible.

John
    Isn't Diving Bell absolutely AMAZING???? I left the theatre thinking about it sooo much...I'm not much of a reader but I SOOOO want to read Jean Do Bauby's book now....

You've already read the book? If so, I think I'll have to e-mail you some of my questions, they might be answered in the book.....
    'Chelle
    L-1 inc 11/24/03

"My Give-a-Damn's Busted"......