Thread: IV Antibiotics and stomach upset

IV Antibiotics and stomach upset

I was hospitalized in Inova Fairfax Hospital w/a kidney infection last week. They gave me some antibiotic (Zysten?) that cleared things up but the next day, I had to use the toilet and it was soft. I'm going out of town [hopefully] Saturday for the long weekend but, can't if my stomach is acting up. I've been taking 1 Prevacid and waiting 20 minutes before eating/drinking then drinking a yoghurt smoothie to try to help regrow my bowel bacterias. It seems to be working but I am scared of any freak accidents while I'm away. If I hear one strange noise from my belly Friday night, I will not go.
    Any ideas on how to clear this up quickly? I don't think it's C. Dificile (been there, done that). I'm trying to eat mild foods and natural food enzymes, etc. Any other advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
    Andrea

Hi Andrea,

I am not familiar with Zysten.An oral antibiotic that sounds similar might be Ceftin.
    I would contact your pharmacist-ask if the med can be taken with food- as this can significantly help GI upset. They can give you some tips particular to that drug.

If it is still unacceptable, contact your doctor to get a substitute which is milder on the stomach. This is usually possible.
    And I would agree, it does not sound like c. difficele infection as with this the stool is liquidy not soft.

AAD

Thanks Nurse,
    I'm not currently on oral medication as the culture came back clear. I had not heard of the Zysten either, the DRs told me it's similar to Rosefan. It was an infusion drip; was too naseous to have taken anything into my mouth. Well, things seem to be going better and my fingers are crossed for this weekend.

Andrea

Glad things are better. If it was IV medication it was probably Zosyn, which is commonly used for kidney infections.
    It can be hard on the GI tract.