Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Is your kitchen sink lowered?

Thanks for all the replies. Installation is starting and we're going with the normal height. Once you mention wheelchair, the designer and anyone else involved automatically wants to lower it.
    KLD, thanks for those links. That automated sink is nice but a little pricey for me. That would settle it though.
    Raise the dishwasher, but keep the sink the standard height or maybe lower the overall counter height by an inch or so, but no more. Have a cutout under your sink with doors covering it that open and then roll back, out of the way.
    My brother wanted to do the door thing (does that stuff for a living), but we might do it like P.J. described. (either way I'll still get the info for you Andy if you're reading this)

It's weird. I want it to look as "normal" as I can and the AB want to modify everything. I'm not complaining about that, I'm just saying.

When we just remodeled our kitchen this summer I specified normal height and no cabinet. With cabinets on either side and a run of stone countertop and undermount sink, that has the drains at the back of the sink, it has worked great. Our carpenter has been great with making things work for us. We had a U-shaped desk built for Jim, custom, that has 2 stations, one for computer set-up and another for a book stand that I built him-each station has a small section cutout for his joystick on his powerchair so he can cruise right in. With the kitchen sink I just hung a curtain in front on an expandable rod that matches the curtains I made, since it fits in with the cottage decor and that has worked well. For all the cleaning supplies that usually end up under the sink I got a rolling cart and that has proved to be great as I can wheel it to where ever I need to clean and it's kept in the pantry next to the kitchen. Deb

Quote Originally Posted by JAYCUE
    My brother wanted to do the door thing (does that stuff for a living), but we might do it like P.J. described.
    If you do it that way, be sure to take some measurements and be certain that the panel that covers the pipes under the sink still leaves enough room for you to roll your knees under and get close enough to the sink for it to be functional. A few yrs after my accident, my parents built a vacation home and were so sure they knew enough about what is "accessible" they didn't consult me about this. I can barely get close enough to the sink in my bathroom to brush my teeth. It's a little annoying.

It's weird. I want it to look as "normal" as I can and the AB want to modify everything.
    Yeah, I've gotten some of that over the yrs.

C.

Quote Originally Posted by lilsister
    When we just remodeled our kitchen this summer I specified normal height and no cabinet. With cabinets on either side and a run of stone countertop and undermount sink, that has the drains at the back of the sink, it has worked great. Our carpenter has been great with making things work for us. We had a U-shaped desk built for Jim, custom, that has 2 stations, one for computer set-up and another for a book stand that I built him-each station has a small section cutout for his joystick on his powerchair so he can cruise right in. With the kitchen sink I just hung a curtain in front on an expandable rod that matches the curtains I made, since it fits in with the cottage decor and that has worked well. For all the cleaning supplies that usually end up under the sink I got a rolling cart and that has proved to be great as I can wheel it to where ever I need to clean and it's kept in the pantry next to the kitchen. Deb
    Would you be able to post a pic of the desk? That might be the next project. I have an idea of what I want but seeing others may help. Also, do you know where you got your sink from? Thanks.

We bought an Elkay sink from Bender Plumbing Supplies in Waturbury CT. We were limited to a 25" inch single sink, due to existing design constraints in the kitchen. Elkay sinks come in a wide range of depths, and with the drain in the center, or back left corner, back right corner. Also a wide range of weights, which is what determines the price. (You can actually get a very light weight stainless steel sink, rear drain, 6" depth for under $30, but I wouldn;t recommend it, the steel is to thin) Don;t depend on the pictures on the elkay site .... they show a general one, check the specs. If I didn;t have the space considerations, I would have chosen a double bowl, with a cutting board to go over one of the bowls. Stores like Lowes and Home Depot are a good place to start, but there are a lot more sink models than the ones they show. I(f you can go with a 33" footprint there are a lot more choices. Be sure to give some thought to your faucets and how they will work for you.
    T7-8 since Feb 2005

Jaycue, the double sink was free as an undermount (I highly recommend this) in a package deal with the silestone countertop that we ordered through Home Depot. It has C-Tech written on it if that helps. I really like the countertop and the Home Depot people were great at taking my design and getting the measurements to work in the space alloted. I saved money by having open shelves instead of upper cabinets and used large drwers to hold pots/pans which helps accessability. One of my favorite features is the garbage/recycling bin pullout cabinet next to the sink, it really saves on floor messes and pulls out smoothly.
    Although I haven't figured out how to post the pictures, I will certainly try to get someone in to show me. Jim's office has been one of the best moves we made, it has a view of the front door courtyard and a park across the street, as well as our bird station. It was originally a small bedroom off the central hall that his powerchair would have had difficulty turning into. We took the whole wall down and it opened up the room and hall so turning radius is not a problem. For the desk itself I had a fabricator come and measure chair height and reach and then he built it to my design.

Thanks everyone.