Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is your kitchen sink lowered?

Is your kitchen sink lowered?

The kitchen's getting redone and this question came up. I'm thinking of the AB people using it.ing it's too low. I always hated a low sink when I was ab. The only advantage I see is that instead of 1 long countertop, it can be broken up and there probably won't be any seams. I think I can get by with the standard height. Anyone care to share their experience?

My sink 2 cents

When I built my house I had the upper cabinets hung 2 inches lower than standard and my sink done at the standard height. The area under my sink is sloped back toward the wall so that I can face the sink and my feet (foot rests) go under the sink. The slopped area is finished with cabinet facing to match all the other kitchen cabinets so the pipes are not visible. One draw back is that you can't have a garbage disposal installed under the sink.

I don't mind high normal sinks if they are roll under. I had the kitchen and bathroom sink modified here so that I could roll up to them.

T11-12. We just took occupancy of a new house we had built on Feb. 2007. I made no changes to the kitchen for myself. Countertops w/ island are 36”. I sit high in my chair and I am not short so I still have access to everything at counter level. Since I have no under-counter access for my chair, I just pull up sideways when I want to use the sink. I can wash dishes on those rare occasions. We are all happy with it here and know there will be no problems if we ever sell the house in the future.

This subject piqed my interest - several years ago, I rented a handicap accessible apartment (at a big discount too) even though I don't have a mobility disorder. I suspect the landlord was able to get a tax break since I am legally disabled? (I'm deaf) and she said she needed to rent the unit.

Anyways, it had a low sink, in between a dishwasher on the left and cabinets on the right. Garbage disposal, too (small enough it probably wouldn't have interfered. The stovetop side was lowered as well. Me personally, it didn't bother me and so I would recommend you go with the lower sink. Better for an AB to have to adapt than the other way round. If you feel you must compromise, I'd raise it only as much as you feel comfortable using it, not all the way. Good luck with the remodel.

Tom

A sink that is too low will definitely cause a back-ache for your AB friends and family. Options would include either installing two sinks at different heights, or if you have the funds, putting in an adjustable height sink. Here are a couple examples:

http://www.ad-as.com/kb/approach_sink.htm

http://www.geappliances.com/design_c...versal_design/

http://www.accessibleconstruction.co...rooms/36b.html

http://www.barrierfree.org/counters_new.php

(KLD)

Everything in my kitchen is electric so I can take everything up and down so it fits me and any AB even small children.
    TH 12, 43 years post

Quote Originally Posted by JAYCUE
    The kitchen's getting redone and this question came up. I'm thinking of the AB people using it.ing it's too low. I always hated a low sink when I was ab. The only advantage I see is that instead of 1 long countertop, it can be broken up and there probably won't be any seams. I think I can get by with the standard height.
    Raise the dishwasher, but keep the sink the standard height or maybe lower the overall counter height by an inch or so, but no more. Have a cutout under your sink with doors covering it that open and then roll back, out of the way.

That was the compromise we came up with for our kitchen. My husband is almost 6 ft tall and my chair sits very low. We tried to make things as functional for both of us as possible without making it appear that we "modified" anything. Nothing institutional looking.

C.

We lowered a stretch of counter including the drop in stove and sink. Since I am tall, we only lowered them 2 inches. The sink is shallow, and I can roll under it. We also have a garbage disposal, the drain is at the back right corner of the sink. Project isn;t quite complete, so right now everything underneath is exposed, but it will covered by a panel. It works well, and I don;t get soaked doing dishes anymore.

But I do believe that the roll under is what is important. I could handle a roll under sink at full height. The biggest problem would be seeing what is in it, near the front. Consider who uses the sink the most. If it is you (by a large margin) lower it, if it is others, go for full height, and roll under.
    T7-8 since Feb 2005

Roll under is the way I decided to go and it works great for me. One caution though. Make sure you insulate and or install all pipes and the underside of the sink so your legs can't get against anything HOT!
    L1 Complete - Injury 3/12/06 - Grateful to be alive!!!!