Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: how to replace wheelchair tires on manual chair

how to replace wheelchair tires on manual chair

I need to replace the tires on my Quickie wheelchair, but I'm not sure how to do it on my own, since I've never replaced the tires on my wheelchairs.

Does anyone know of a link/website that shows you how to replace rear wheelchair tires? I want to have my new tires on soon, so I'll have better traction when I'm outdoors.

Jessie

It's the same as a bike.

Quote Originally Posted by jessie.gray
    I need to replace the tires on my Quickie wheelchair, but I'm not sure how to do it on my own, since I've never replaced the tires on my wheelchairs.

Does anyone know of a link/website that shows you how to replace rear wheelchair tires? I want to have my new tires on soon, so I'll have better traction when I'm outdoors.

Jessie
    Jessie, I do that every Nov. for snow traction. A bike shop or searching on bike tire replace videos should get you some results. I bet there are utube videos on this.

I change my own tires since I learned on my bike as a kid. I stick a screw driver under the tire, then another one along side the first which I use to go along under the tire and bring it over the rim. Becareful not to damage the tube!

Once it is off, inspect the inside of the tire for sharp debris. Put the tube in the new tire with just a slight bit of air, then place it onto the rim. Check to make sure the tube does not bunch up because that will make a bulge and you will have a bumpy ride. Pry the tire on and use a screw driver to pry the last part on.

Oil and clean the axles, brakes, arms, etc. while you are there. Also, clean the hair out of the front tire axles if you have this issue.

Andrew

Don't use screwdrives... Use cutlery. Seriously! Screwdrivers tend to cut the tube. Backend oif cutlery is smooth and round.

Ordered and purchased ours through a bike shop and they put them on and inflated them for $5. Much easier than messing with them ourselves!

(KLD)

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse
    Ordered and purchased ours through a bike shop and they put them on and inflated them for $5. Much easier than messing with them ourselves!

(KLD)
    The place that sold my chair to me billed the county $73, robbery!!! I felt guilty about that, and it's one reason I do my own work.

www.ehow.com/how_14163_replace-bike-tire.htm

www.wikihow.com/Replace-a-Bicycle-Tire

Hopefully I typed the links correctly. I can't seem to get cut and paste to work.

Good Luck...

Joe

i go to the nearest chain bike store and they do all my replacements/air and have never asked me to pay for it. but i buy loads of tubes, etc (though not always in the same trip) so they know me by now. my tires need 145psi, and while thats easy on their pump, it would take me hours at home. half the time i dont even get out of the car...

Thanks everyone. I would go to a bike shop to get it done, but the tires are supposed to arrive through UPS next Tuesday, and by the time they get here, the local bike shop will be closed for the evening, and I want to get my tires on my chair before Wednesday, when I have to have colon surgery (I don't want to have to deal with it during recovery).

I downloaded the link on how to replace bike tires, so that might help out.

Jessie

If you plan on doing it in the evening, have spare tubes, just in case. The last time my husband switched mine, he punctured a tube.
    T7-8 since Feb 2005