Thread: parallel bars

parallel bars

Hi,

I am looking to buy a set of fold up parallel bars for our dining room, but the ones that I found on the web aren't wide enough for a wheelchair to fit through. The medical supply company said that all parallel bars are built that way. Does anyone know of a company that makes them? Thanks,

I had my folks build me a set of parallel bars so I'm not familiar with the exact set up of the folding ones. However, I did note that most are 10". If you need them wider to accomodate the wheelchair (like 20"-24") how do you plan on using them to support your arms. Won't they be too wide? Sorry if this seems like a really stupid question.
    Daniel

Quote Originally Posted by NikkiR8481
    Hi,

I am looking to buy a set of fold up parallel bars for our dining room, but the ones that I found on the web aren't wide enough for a wheelchair to fit through. The medical supply company said that all parallel bars are built that way. Does anyone know of a company that makes them? Thanks,
    Hi Nikki,

I don't think parallel bars are designed wide enough to fit a wheelchair through. Especially chairs with cambered wheels. The object is to have them wide and high enough so the person using them is comfortable and safe with their width and height. If a wheelchair could fit through them they'd probably be too wide and the person's arms would be spread too far apart. You want them so your arms are almost vertical to the ground so you can easily "swing gait" or "walk" through them. Leave the "Iron Cross" to the gymnasts!

I built a set myself 26 or so years ago but they didn't fold-up, were quite bulky and weren't very pretty looking. But they were inexpensive, heavy duty, very functional and safe. And could be used as a clothes dryer (clothes line) or clothes valet when not being used to stand or "walk" with.

I drew a rudimentary schematic of them using MSPaint but that jpg has since been lost. But I describe in some detail how I built them HERE if you may be interested.

Good luck,

Bob.
    "Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle." - Philo of Alexandria

Thanks for your ideas. The ones at the physical therapy place were wide enough for the wheelchair to go through, but maybe they bars were just higher so that the wheelchair fit easily through them. Because when I initially started standing we kept the wheelchair in the middle of the parallel bars in case I needed to let go. I am hopeless at building something, but I will ask around. Thanks,

hi Nikki,
    the parallel bars at the hospital here where I go for my rehab has their bars set up so you can fit your chair under, the bars are set up in an upside down "L" and the bars can come in and out to meet the persons needs. I am sure they cost a pretty penny. I think that I would rather do some thing like Dan and Bob did. if I had room I would have already had them built. it does not take much to do this and it could be chalked up as OT. ha,ha. the only tools that you would really have to have is the driver to attach them to the floor, the pipes can be turned in by hand. look at it as a big erector set. hope you have fun. good luck

how long do you want them to be? these things (http://www.benefitsnowshop.co.uk/sho...&sectionId=610) are 27 1/2", you can bolt them as high or far apart as you like, and they fold up against the wall. you can also get them with a support leg, but then you probably wouldnt have room for a chair underneath

Hi Nikki,

I've been thinking about building a set of parallel bars for myself. Folding would be nice but might be too heavy. Do you have something particular in mind on how compact the parallel bars would need to be? For example, if they were 8' long would they need to fold to 4' long? Or could the length stay 8'?

I have a few ideas on how to make a set but what I'm thinking is that it would disassemble more than fold. This would help in that the individual pieces would be lighter and easier to move.

If there is some interest here I could at least draw up some plans and put together a material list.
    Injured 7-22-06, T-11 T-12 complete. [Holds up cardboard sign] "Will work for returns."
    2010 SCINet Clinical Trial Support Squad Member
    Please join me and donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org and copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature.