Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ideas anybody???

Ideas anybody???

Hi all. Wondering if anyone can shed some light on these symptoms. Sean (husband) has had many, many, many bladder infections since his injury (coming up for 2 years). The last couple of weeks, he's been having some different things going on, that we just assumed was another bladder infection. Symptoms include: bloated and tight feeling in his stomach. Increased spasms. Headache off and on. Sometimes light pushing on his stomach causing spasms and pain inside. Today he had burning sensation in his legs. Off and on ~ sediment in his urine.

His urine test came back negative.

He doesn't have a fever. Just feels all-round like shit!!

Sean is a C6/C7 ~ complete. No feeling at all below his chest, so it's really hard to try and figure out what's going on. We thought it might be gas, but nothing is helping to relieve the bloated feeling. He has had a "cold" feeling in his legs quite often (usually with bladder infections), but has never had this burning feeling before.

He had been taking more Tylenol 3's over the last couple of weeks than usual (maybe 2-4/day) for pain in his neck (no it's not me). We thought maybe they were irritating his stomach, but he didn't take any today, and he still feels rotten.

Anybody experienced anything like this?

Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks

Shelley

Hmmm, this really does sound like infection, as I've dealt with same symptons off and on for years. A broad spectrum antibiotic may be called for. Can you get to a doctor for a checkup? Chronically, urinary infections can go systemic, which clouds the picture.

-Chuck-

~Gentleness in speech and action goes a long way
    toward convincing me that someone has assimilated the lessons of life~

What's he taking for bladder spasms?

Tylenol 3 causes constipation..make sure he's cleaned out.

Sean doesn't take anything for bladder spasms.

Should he???

He certainly doesn't seem to be constipated.

Celiac disease? www.celiac.com for more info. It is thought by many physicians to be rare, but it is in fact a 1 in 133 prevalence disease and causes the symptoms you describe (except urine sediment, which, depending on the amount, can be normal to some degree).

Ami, in NC <--- a celiac
    Wife of Chad (C4 complete, injured in 1988)
    Mama to a great 4 year old

Shelley- my first guess would be another infection, but as the symptoms are different, I would take him to his regular physician and have him checked out. I would check out his bowels as already suggested just to see if he is constipated and that is on top of the infection.

JM

Thanks for your posts everyone.

I just wanted to follow up and let you know that Sean did have another bladder infection.

We ended up in emergency yesterday because he was in extreme pain.

Arrived about 1:30 p.m. by 9:00 p.m. they had done nothing but take an x-ray. We finally had to raise a little hell and they did a urine sample. By 10:30 he was on I.V. demerol, and antibiotic. They kept him overnight to do a CAT scan this morning, but I'm sure he'll be home this afternoon.

All his symptoms were so different, we would have bet it was something else. Damn SCI ~ it's like putting a puzzle together without all the pieces.

I'm really tired of dealing with doctors who don't seem to care one way or the other!!

Thanks for your help.

Shelley

Okay, I have an update to this situation.

It turns out that Sean did NOT have a bladder infection. The original "dip" did show minor amounts of blood, and white cells, but the culture showed "nothing significant".

Blood work, CAT scan, x-rays all were fine.

Sean is still having extreme pain in his back. Demerol is not even touching it.

His spasms are really bad. If you even touch his stomach it starts the pain. He describes the pain as starting in the right side just above his bum and then spreading around the front and even down through his testicles. He also still has the bloated feeling in his stomach.

Something else strange. While he was having the burning pain down his legs (this seems to have eased off), he could tell where his legs were ~ which way they were bent etc. He has never been able to do that before.

As I said, Sean is a C6/C7 complete ~ never had any feeling below his nipple area.

Could this pain be neurological??

Any other ideas?

I appreciate any help or suggestions you can give us.

Shelley

Hi Shelley,

This must be a very frustrating experience for both of you.

Did they rule out a kidney or bladder stone?
    Or bladder trauma or spasms.
    This can cause increased spasm, back pain and blood in urine without infection.
    This is diagnosed through CT scan(which it sounds like he had) or ultrasound.

This increased pain and other symptoms sound like a major change for Sean and the burning type pain is usually neurologic pain. Have you discussed this with your neurologist?

Keep in mind the bowels, as the increased narcotics definitely will cause constipation.

Abdominal pain can be tricky and unfortunately
    you have to just keep with the process of elimination. If his condition does change
    significantly, have him evaluated again by a doctor you feel comfortable with and who knows your husbands condition.

Shelley, I have been experiencing some of the same symptoms that you described on and off for over two years. For me, it is colon related and I have had lots of test and we still haven't found anything which solves the problem. My stomach Dr. diagnosed it as colitis but we haven't found anything to successfully treat with. In my case, the only thing that helps is to make sure I have good results from bowel programs and occasionally take something like magnesium citrate to get cleaned out good.

It may not be that, but I have severe burning pain in my abdomen and legs when my colon is full. it also causes me to have severe dysreflexia sometimes which causes the headaches. Hope this helps, I know the pain is no fun.