Thread: Holy crap, EVDO Rev-A in my neck of the woods!?

Holy crap, EVDO Rev-A in my neck of the woods!?

Given that I live way out in the sticks, I've been stuck with ISDN for the last seven years. It's slow (128k), expensive ($125/mo), and useless for any sort of streaming media.

So I'm chatting with one of my neighbors today, and he's like "So, do you have Verizon wireless internet yet?" I replied "What 'chu talkin' 'bout, neighbor?" Apparently Verizon added EVDO Rev-A wireless service to a tower within range of our area a couple months ago, which is surprising since we barely receive a cellphone signal here.

Are my days of waiting ten minutes to watch one minute of YouTube video finally over? I'm going to look into it first thing Monday. Poking around a bit, it sounds like I'll lose my external subnet, which stinks but the bandwidth trumps the IP addresses.

Does anyone else use EVDO as their primary Internet connection? Anything I should know before I dive in?

Those of you who live out in the sticks (rural areas) have been disenfranchised by the cable and telephone companies because there is no money to be made! I have heard good things about EVDO, and if this comes to fruition, you should be a happy camper.

Good luck and please keep us updated.
    The test of success is not what you do when you are on top. Success is how high you bounce when you hit the bottom
    --General George Patton

Complex problems need to be solved collectively.
    ––Paul Nussbaum
    usc87.blogspot.com

I'm waiting on high-speed Internet service myself out in the sticks of Virginia. I've been watching Embarq [a.k.a. Sprint] burying fiber-optic cable closer and closer and closer over the past several months. They tell me that I should be able to get high-speed DSL from them by late February to early March... I'm trying to cross my quad fingers and it's not working and I don't see any pigs flying either...because that is when most people told us we would be getting high-speed Internet service...

I was wondering why you don't use WildeBlue or Hughes satellite two-way Internet?
    Would that be faster at around the same price?

In these articles, EvDO seems really expensive to me.

Here are links to a couple articles on Verizon EvDO

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2704,1770829,00.asp

http://www.pcworld.com/article/id,124567/article.html

Quote Originally Posted by ROXnROLZ
    I was wondering why you don't use WildeBlue or Hughes satellite two-way Internet?
    Would that be faster at around the same price?

In these articles, EvDO seems really expensive to me.
    I had Hughes satellite for a year and it was horrible. 2000ms latency minimum (yes, two full seconds!), the uplink speed was only about 14.4k sustained and although you could get fast downloads (nearly 6M) in the middle of the night, during peak hours the download speed dropped essentially to zero. Add crappy customer service and expensive startup cost to the mix, and it was a nightmare.

EVDO is definitely more expensive that cable or DSL, but it's better than my ISDN. I still haven't double-checked that the signal is available at my house, I'm going to ask my neighbor to come over with his notebook and see what speeds he gets.

I typed a nice reply, but half-way through the page re-loaded to Microsoft.com. Hitting the go back arrow does not bring back my reply....it's gone. That has been happening a lot on CC. Why is that?
    Looks like I'm going to have to type replies in another protgram like wordpad and copy/paste so as not to lose them.

Rox - if they are burying fiber, hopefully you should be able to get FiOS service down the road. It is way faster than DSL. I pay $29.95(bundled price) from Verizon for a 15/2meg FiOS package. I am in a small suburb of Dallas and they started their FiOS way out here first, so maybe you can jump on real speed.
    "a T10, who'd Rather be ridin'; than rollin'"

128K , you smoking. i get 46.6K on a good connection or sometimes 43.7K sad
    oh well

Right now, all Embarq is promising is 1.5 Meg DSL over our copper wires by late Feb to early Mar... But, they are burying fiber optic cable all over the place and then as I'm driving up the road I see all these little white posts sticking up out of the ground with orange caps with "Warning, Buried Fiber Optic Cable" (and the call before digging). Comcast Cable seems close on their heels, but they seem to quit when the utility poles run out. They don't (or won't) seem to bury any cable (even the PVC coated stuff). If there is no pole, Comcast won't hang it... While the fiber-optic crews just keep on burying. Yippee for me...I may yet enter the 21st century before I die.

Quote Originally Posted by McDuff
    Rox - if they are burying fiber, hopefully you should be able to get FiOS service down the road. It is way faster than DSL. I pay $29.95(bundled price) from Verizon for a 15/2meg FiOS package. I am in a small suburb of Dallas and they started their FiOS way out here first, so maybe you can jump on real speed.
    McDuff - that speed would be considered "blinding" even by the Comcast Cable subscribers... That kind of speed almost sounds to me like T1, T2 or T3 category.

$29.95? That is chump change for what you're getting... I now have added to my eny of able people, Internet connection envy. I'm disabled in two ways now... Oh, woe is me...

FiOS eh? I need to ask the Embarq guy about that. It's interesting though, because it is not entirely certain to most folks around here that it is Embarq [the company] that is burying all the fiber optic cable. I don't actually know who they are nor who they're burying it all for nor who will be making use of it. It could be that it's not Embarq's cble at all. I only know it's NOT Comcast's. Verizon and Altell are the big cell phone guns in our area. They have the most towers and cells and best signal and most bars...etc...[Verizon being significantly ahead]
    Last edited by ROXnROLZ; 01-08-2008 at 12:51 PM.