Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Questions About Relocating, Living On Your Own, Caregivers

I can't imagine which would be worse, Betheny, Brownback or Coburn? I suppose Coburn would be more fun since I would be a constituent then and could harass him regularly.

Thanks Nov.

Quote Originally Posted by RehabRhino
    The reason I didn't was that - even needing a lot less PCA hours than you - I realised that the one person option wasn't enough and was fraught with issues.

Even if you are giving free room and board you are essentially asking that one person to be on hand 7 days a week for a variety of things, including each meal in your case.
    Damn you and your realism!

In my home, I am fairly self-sufficient.

Once up, I only need help refilling my water, emptying my leg bag, and eating. The first problem can be eliminated by buying more water jugs and having them all filled in the morning. Equipment exists to solve the second problem, and the third I'm sure I can figure out somehow. (Liquid diet?)

Vonage can be operated entirely through the computer, so the phone wouldn't be a problem.

Also, what about when they are home but with friends or studying? Do you set specific times when you can call on them when they're actually in your home or are they considered a permanent helper? When can they switch off or go out? It's why spouse caregivers often burn out.
    Good points. Basically, the only time requirements would be AM care and bedtime stuff. The rest of the day would be theirs, including friend and study times.

KLD, if you don't mind my asking, does your mother's live-in PCA get a salary in addition to room and board?
    ...it's worse than we thought. it turns out the people at the white house are not secret muslims, they're nerds.

Your needs are not the same, but the situation is kind of similar. My father is 93 and unable to live on his own. Dad's live-in companion gets a small salary. He considers Dad's house his home, and looks after that as well as Dad. He does most of the cooking. He makes sure Dad is showered regularly, takes him to doctors, shopping, and the senior center. All expenses, such as utilities, food, auto and gas, are paid by Dad. Although he lives with Dad 24/7, he is free to leave and do his own thing for hours at a time. Should the companion have a medical emergency, we have a local home care agency ready step in on nearly a moment's notice.

Yes, my mother's PCA gets paid a salary, but it is much less than we would pay if we were not providing her room. We don't provide a lot of her food, she has her own car, her own telephone line and cable line for TV and her computer, and of course has other expenses, so I know she would not work for only board and room. We do pay her a weekly (not hourly) rate that she and my dad negotiated though.

(KLD)

Nosy time-Do you have a colostomy? You don't have to answer LOL, but there's one more thing you need assistance with.

Also, factor in 2 weeks a year with no power, and figure what it will take you to survive that. People say global warming is a myth. I'm here to tell you global icing is alive and well in Kansas, and seems to be getting worse.

Maybe I'm dumb to think about that. I'm trying to get my sick father to install a full-on permanent generator setup though!

You are not dumb to think about that, Betheny. It is a very real concern. I learned during the devastating hurricanes of 2004/5 that we need to be self-sufficient with enough food and water to last several days without power. It is not just weather, either. We forget that we are at war, and could be attacked at any time. Planning for the inevitable is not dumb. It is wise.

Sorry for going off topic, Steven.

Thanks KLD and SoFla. I was just curious.

Beth, no colostomy, but that falls under the AM care category.
    ...it's worse than we thought. it turns out the people at the white house are not secret muslims, they're nerds.

sorry to ask steven ...do you have family?without my family i was dead by now.i am lucky.good luck and find the best solution .
    • Dum spiro, spero.
      • Translation: "As long as I breathe, I hope."

Here in Charleston I do. I wouldn't if I moved, though.

hi steven,

nursing student still works for me evening shift during the week, i'm blessed with 3 PA's and a great backup one.

good luck with interview

oh, i knew you weren't leaving cc, we're not walking yet.
    http://justadollarplease.org/

2010 SCINet Clinical Trial Support Squad Member

"You kids and your cures, why back when I was injured they gave us a wheelchair and that's the way it was and we liked it!" Grumpy Old Man

.."i used to be able to goof around so much because i knew Superman had my back. now all i've got is his example -- and that's gonna have to be enough."

Might want to check out how their paratransit works also. Here we have "ramp equipped" buses for all routes. If you live within a few blocks of a stop you need to show exceptional need for door to door. Exceptional need includes heat and cold intolerance and appearently being over 64. Door to door is wonderful except when snow and ice show. Then I call up and ask if they will run that day. Often the answer is somewhere along the lines of: well.......we can get you there but if it gets any worse.... I tried the ramp equipped buses with my powerchair and a friend once. You have to get on in front and the clicker for one back wheel is halfway down. I haven't tried them recently but even back then I had problems with my chair sliding and it was damn difficult to back down into that space. So if you can arrange door to door, all the better. That's if you have a set drop off and pick up.

Are you planning on renting? Apartment or house? Who does the shoveling and how soon is a big question. Up here they tend to wait for most of it to melt unless we get "the super storm of *insert year*" and then all crews are out drinking coffee.

Kansas City? Must be a great job.
    Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow."

Disclaimer: Answers, suggestions, and/or comments do not constitute medical advice expressed or implied and are based solely on my experiences as a SCI patient. Please consult your attending physician for medical advise and treatment. In the event of a medical emergency please call 911.