Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567

Thread: Questions About Relocating, Living On Your Own, Caregivers

Quote Originally Posted by orangejello
    Well now that I think about it some more, having a container of steaming hot soup atop one's head might not be the best idea
    This made me think of Double Dare! The stunts where people had to run back and forth with slime (or something) in cups on their head?

The good old days.

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Edwards
    I am kind of embarrassed to admit this but I like the taste of them. I think I could eat a bottle as a snack and be happy.
    Many people do like Flinstones, which is why I asked. I could pop one or two of them per day no problem.

Pinky, are you pondering what I'm pondering?
    I think so Brain, but Burlap chafes me so.

[ps, sorry about the edit -- I originally clicked edit instead of quote. Oops?]
    ...it's worse than we thought. it turns out the people at the white house are not secret muslims, they're nerds.

OK kids. If Flintstone vitamins actually make taking a supplement fun and tasty for you..go for it.
    BUT only use the recommended dosage. I think a child takes two. I don't know. So four should cover your RDA
    of the vitamins that are in Flintstones. No ODing on Flinstones you two.
    Life isn't about getting thru the storm but learning to dance in the rain.

Quote Originally Posted by pinky
    I think so Brain, but Burlap chafes me so.
    Brain: Has it ever occurred to you, Pinklet, that your scarf is constricting the bloodflow to your head?

(I had edited it because I was afraid of derailing your thread, which I think is a good one that could be helpful to others too)

I never saw Double Dare. Sounds like a show I would like lol

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Edwards
    Random thought: do they make "pellet dispensers" for humans? Think of it like a rat thing, they press a lever and get food. Ideally, I could press down on a lever with my chin and have food (think peanuts, peas, dry cereal) drop into my mouth.

It seems decidedly low-tech and obvious, but I have yet to find one. I have seen the gum-ball machine-type dispensers, but turning the knob would present a problem.
    Search up an animal psychology center that works with orangatangs or other larger primates. Explain and ask if someone can get you the manufacturer's name or maybe a tech can draw up blueprints of what they use.

I'm thinking bar munchie mixes or honey roated peanuts.
    Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow."

Disclaimer: Answers, suggestions, and/or comments do not constitute medical advice expressed or implied and are based solely on my experiences as a SCI patient. Please consult your attending physician for medical advise and treatment. In the event of a medical emergency please call 911.

Quote Originally Posted by Sue Pendleton
    Search up an animal psychology center that works with orangatangs or other larger primates. Explain and ask if someone can get you the manufacturer's name or maybe a tech can draw up blueprints of what they use.
    Good idea, thanks! (Don't listen to DA, btw. )

I contacted the primate center in Wisconsin to ask about it. Their primary animal care person was out today, so I emailed her to ask if such a contraption exists (or if she can point me in the right direction).

I'm thinking bar munchie mixes or honey roated peanuts.
    Honey roasted peanuts are awesome, but probably not as healthy as their normal bretheren. Trail mix or even pretzels might not be a bad idea -- neither would M&Ms or Skittles.

But -- I'm trying to keep this to a healthy diet, so I'll focus primarily on the healthier foods until my will power leaves me.

Quote Originally Posted by Brain
    Has it ever occurred to you, Pinklet, that your scarf is constricting the bloodflow to your head?
    Yes! And it keeps my neck all cozy-warm.

You'd love Double Dare. Someone seriously needs to remake that show.
    ...it's worse than we thought. it turns out the people at the white house are not secret muslims, they're nerds.

I'm a C5 and I've been living alone for a couple of years now. I'm limited to six hours a day of care some of which out of my pocket so I have someone come from 10:30 until 2:30 which gives me plenty of time to run any chores that I have, he lunged and breakfasts and then I don't have someone come back until around 8 PM when I get dinner and get all set up for bed and she leaves at around 10. I'm on a good enough air mattress where I don't have to be turned overnight and on the days when I don't have a caregiver that late in the afternoon, I have someone wrap my sandwich lightly in plastic where I can unwrap it with my teeth considering I barely have any wrist. I do have family close by in case of emergencies but I rely on them as little as possible.
    As far as finding caregivers goes I use Craig's list and MySpace to find people. I've found lots of dependable good people that way. There's even a website called backpage which for a small fee will also print your ad.
    C-5/6, 7-9-2000
    Scottsdale, AZ

Make the best out of today because yesterday is gone and tomorrow may never come. Nobody knows that better than those of us that have almost died from spinal cord injury.