Thread: PCA help needed in LA

PCA help needed in LA

My daughter is a studet in the Playa del Rey area. Her PCA quit without notice. Please let me know if you know of a good agency or a PCA who is looking for a job in this area. My daughter is a quad. Thanks.

We recently had some good success with finding an attendant in that same area on Craig's List. I posted an ad and we started getting calls within 45 minutes! Be sure to write the ad the correct way, and be prepared to meet the PCA away from the home for the first interview.

Right now, you may have to private pay for care through an agency until you can get PCAs and a back-up plan set up. You can look in the Yellow Pages under Home Health Agencies for this. Be prepared to have to pay for an RN or LVN for any bowel or bladder care, and even a HHA for ADLs, bathing or transfers will run nearly $30/hour.

Is there any way you or another family member can help your daughter with her care until she can hire new PCAs?

Is she dependent upon IHSS funding or is her PCA care covered by a private insurance, settlement, or private pay?

You can also call the West Side Center for Independent Living to see if they have anyone on their PCA referral list, http://www.wcil.org/index.html but I doubt if they are open on the weekend, and even then you will still have to interview attendants and make arrangements for the hours she needs, as well as provide training.

(KLD)
    Last edited by SCI-Nurse; 01-05-2008 at 02:17 PM.

Accent Care is very affordable. From my understanding they also take medicare.

http://www.accentcare.com/home/index.aspx

Thanks for the information and suggestions

SCI-Nurse, Could you tell me more about how to write the notice for Craig's list? She has posted notices there before but usually gets a minimal response.

Imight - Thanks, we'll check out Accent Care. Have you used this agency, or do you know of someone who has used them?
    Last edited by TsMom; 01-06-2008 at 12:03 AM.

This is a sample of one that I helped someone write:

38 year old female with quadriplegia seeks female PCA, part time, variable hours to assist with bathing, dressing, bowel care, catheterization, transfers and some light housework. Current position is for weekends only, 3 hours in AM both Saturday & Sunday only, but hours could increase based on satisfaction with work. Starting pay is $12/hour. Non-smokers only. References required.
    As far as agencies, I know someone in that area who has used this one: Homecare Buddies, tel. 310-756-5666

(KLD)

Quote Originally Posted by TsMom
    SCI-Nurse, Could you tell me more about how to write the notice for Craig's list? She has posted notices there before but usually gets a minimal response.

Imight - Thanks, we'll check out Accent Care. Have you used this agency, or do you know of someone who has used them?
    Yes. I go through them. They have different divisions, I work with the Pasadena office. It all matters which caregiver you get, but they are quick to replace if you dislike one.......

Thanks

KLD and Imight -
    Thank you for the information. We have someone from an agency who will help for now until she can find someone to hire. We don't live in CA, so it is hard to have her so far away and having these problems. When she is here at home, we can help her if she has problems with a PCA. I will check out your suggestions in case this agency doesn't work.

TsMom-
    I hope you've gotten some help but just in case:
    I'm a little leery of Craig's List in LA... it's a vast (not to mention scary) territory when you're placing ads regarding your personal care. I'm not from LA and had to quickly prestidigitate, I've never used Accent, but I've called/joined WCIL. They are downtown LA. I understand your daughter's at a Univ in PDR. That's 40 miles south of me in Hollywood.
    I'd first check with the univ if they have disabled student servs and to what extent they can help...Do they have a nursing/medical campus (my greatest source of PCA's have been students).
    Call the Personal Assistance Services Council in Sherman Oaks they are the Homecare Registry for IHSS program in LA county.
    The contact info is:
    Personal Assistance Services Council
    4730 Woodman Avenue, Suite 405
    Sherman Oaks, CA 91423
    Phone 818-206-7000
    Toll Free 877-565-4477
    Fax 818-206-8000
    TTY 818-206-7015
    Good Luck,
    gfiggs