Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Lcd Tvs

Who needs a projector TV with screens now this big?
    __________________________________________________ ____________
    LAS VEGAS (Reuters) - Japanese electronics maker Sharp Corp will begin selling a 108-inch LCD television later this year, executives told the Consumer Electronics Show on Sunday.
    Showing off the world's largest flat panel TV at CES has become something of an arms race. Last year at CES, Sharp introduced at 108-inch LCD TV.
    As expected, Panasonic blew everyone out of the water this morning with the introduction of a 150-inch plasma TV it is calling the "Life Screen."
    The huge TV was displaying a giant image of an elephant when it was wheeled out during a keynote address by Panasonic AVC Networks Co. President Toshihiro Sakamoto.
    "This stunning display allows you to see the elephant in the room in all its glory," Sakamoto said.
    It's 11 feet wide and it has four times the resolution of current full HD plasma displays. They also showed some sumo wrestlers on the screen, which looked amazingly life-like.
    "We believe Life Screen gives new meaning to the words 'reality TV,'" Sakamoto said."Can you imagine sitting at home and watching the Olympics on this baby?
    Can you imagine trying to get that through your front door? Or convincing your wife to let you have it?
    Panasonic didn't say when or if the massive TV will be available but Sakamoto said that Panasonic has sold more 3,000 units of a 103-inch plasma it introduced two years ago.
    All of this begs the question: how big is too big?
    Here's a photo of the 150-incher!

Quote Originally Posted by ROXnROLZ
    Who needs a projector TV with screens now this big?

People who have more money than sense..

Tried to find some prices for those mentioned, but came across these that'll give an idea..

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,242431,00.html

A 103-inch plasma TV by Panasonic retails for $70,000.
    This was 1 year ago so I'm sure the larger 108 LCD is pushing 100K, IMO.

Scott, now the high end projectors are looking sweeet!!

Life isn't like a bowl of cherries or peaches. It's more like a jar of jalapenos--What you do today might burn your ass tomorrow.

If you ain't laughing, you ain't living, baby. Carlos Mencia

My uncle has a samsung similar to jazzyjeffs. He had an enclosure built that holds the set and all the components so everything's hidden. It looks real nice. I think some people just buy the flat screens to be trendy. Sometimes it looks weird when you have the screen on the wall and then you have a table underneath it holding all the components. I hate wires! They're taking care of that now though (wireless hd).

I was watching a show the other day on led tv's. I like where that's heading. They built a big one on the show.

This reporter runs the length of the screen in 12 seconds.
    The TV is a measly 11m by 66m large and could easily fit three (yes 3) tennis courts.
    Manufactured by the talented (and somewhat mad) folks at Toshiba, Japan

The next tv, I'd really like putting the TV on a wall with an access closet behind it and some kind of IR-RF remote extender to keep all the components out of sight.
    Daniel

I have a Sony 27" Trinitron analog CRT TV and I called for my $40 "DTV Converter" coupons so I can purchase a box to convert the digital signal to analog for my old Trinitron.

I'm waiting until:
    1. the whole Plasma, LCD or DLP technology thing works itself out (like Betamax and VHS).
    2. Price comes down on the technology that emerges as the "standard" or preferred TV type to buy.

A couple family members both bought the same 42" Panasonic Plasma HDTV on sale from Sears. They like them very much. For my living situation and room space and all, a 42" TV would probably the max size that I would ever need. I keep seeing and reading about improvements in LCD HDTVs and prices coming down, so I'm not sure which will my choice in about a year or two as all of the HDTV technologies improve.

The other necessary technology to compliment the HDTV would be the sound system...
    Has anyone experienced that Bose TV system is supposed to give superior surround sound with only two small satellite speakers and one subwoofer? I have 5 speakers now, but need an upgrade to my receiver and subwoofer... But, if the Bose system eliminates the need for all that, it would be a great alternative.

Quote Originally Posted by JAYCUE
    I was watching a show the other day on led tv's. I like where that's heading. They built a big one on the show.
    Forgot about Turner Field's HDTV in the outfield. It was the title holder for a bit at 50'. The co. that built it built the one that Jacyue is talking about. I found the article here .

Life isn't like a bowl of cherries or peaches. It's more like a jar of jalapenos--What you do today might burn your ass tomorrow.

If you ain't laughing, you ain't living, baby. Carlos Mencia

Quote Originally Posted by ROXnROLZ
    [FONT=Verdana][SIZE=2]
    The other necessary technology to compliment the HDTV would be the sound system...
    Has anyone experienced that Bose TV system is supposed to give superior surround sound with only two small satellite speakers and one subwoofer? I have 5 speakers now, but need an upgrade to my receiver and subwoofer... But, if the Bose system eliminates the need for all that, it would be a great alternative.
    The speakers simulate the sound of a 5.1 system by bouncing the audio around and off the walls in your living room or bedroom. Some people think the video and the audio budget should be 50-50. This is a lot more expensive than people plan or want to spend for a sound system. The problem with the one speakers solution and may be the Bose system is that you don't get the immersive experience that the 5.1 offers. However, some people’s floor plan doesn't allow for rear speakers and in this case the Bose system or the Polk Sound Bar (which does not depend on sidewall reflection) work surprisingly well.
    The test of success is not what you do when you are on top. Success is how high you bounce when you hit the bottom
    --General George Patton

Complex problems need to be solved collectively.
    ––Paul Nussbaum
    usc87.blogspot.com

I just got the samsung lnt4671 46'' HD LCD 1080p 25k/1 resolution and a 7.1 Klipsch surround sound from amazon. It's not as big as Jeff's, but it's freaking awesome playing games on the ps3, watching blu ray movies or football on ESPN-HD. Its sooo clear and feeling the bass hit from a tackle or bullets wissing by my head RULES!!! I also saved $2k from buying amazon and still have warranties.
    There's
    No
    Place

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by 2jazzyjeff
    I have never seen a projector worth buying for the home. They all look washed out and colorless. The only advantage, not really, is having a possible 102'' screen. Save your $$$ and buy a larger DLP like my Samsung 71'' in my living room. In HD the image is great, esp. on sports.
    I went to check out Sony Bravia 46" but saw the Mitsubishi 57" and 65" DLP and as soon as I clean clutter out of entertainment center,I plan to buy the biggest one that will fit. Great picture and I've never met anyone who wishes they had purchased smaller screen after using the tv.
    After sitting up 13 or 14 hrs each day I enjoy lying in my bed watching sports.Andy,and Friday Nite Lights. I'm with Jeff,bigger is better!

Stuck between the 3..

Philips 42" Full HD 1080P LCD, 42PFL3603D/27 - Energy Star Compliant
    Samsung 46" Series 5 LCD HDTV (LN46A530)
    Sony 46" S Series LCD HDTV (KDL-46S4100)

They all look the same. Phillips is toe to toe w/ the Samsung. Hmm..