Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Lcd Tvs

I got my dad a 46" samsung for christmas. Pretty happy with the dynamic contrast ratio and the trueness of the blacks. Although my folks only have basic cable and therefore, only had a couple free-to-air hd channels, the ones that did come in at 1080i looked amazingly sharp. Can hardly wait for some 1080p programming. I'd have really preferred to get something from the Pioneer Elite line, but they were quite a bit more than I wanted to spend on a tv for my dad.
    Daniel

Sorry to ask a question slightly off topic, but why aren't folks discussing projectors as an option here? You can get a 1080p 3-LCD projector and project an image as big or small as you like. I only ask because I'm currently designing a home theater and I'm leaning toward a projector myself.

Quote Originally Posted by Zero
    Sorry to ask a question slightly off topic, but why aren't folks discussing projectors as an option here? You can get a 1080p 3-LCD projector and project an image as big or small as you like. I only ask because I'm currently designing a home theater and I'm leaning toward a projector myself.
    IMO and from my perspective, I don’t like any television image that is projected or reflected (DLP) because I see a loss of picture definition and luminance that I consider unacceptable. Plus, we have a house with a lot of natural light, so we need the brightness.

Quote Originally Posted by ala
    IMO and from my perspective, I don’t like any television image that is projected or reflected (DLP) because I see a loss of picture definition and luminance that I consider unacceptable. Plus, we have a house with a lot of natural light, so we need the brightness.
    Picture definition and luminance can be related to the quality of the projector and screen, just as with LCD displays. Certainly if you have light streaming through windows against the screen it would be a problem, but aside from that, do projectors have other issues I should be aware of?

Quote Originally Posted by Zero
    Picture definition and luminance can be related to the quality of the projector and screen, just as with LCD displays. Certainly if you have light streaming through windows against the screen it would be a problem, but aside from that, do projectors have other issues I should be aware of?
    I don't know, except for the setup--positioning, mounting. This setup is designed more for a dedicated theater room. I remember Roger Ebert had one.

If you're going to look at tv's in the store, see if you can play with the remote. A lot of tv's in the store have their displays jacked up to look really good in the store. Some of the factory settings are made just for this. If you keep all the settings cranked up, the life expectancy of the tv drops.

I have never seen a projector worth buying for the home. They all look washed out and colorless. The only advantage, not really, is having a possible 102'' screen. Save your $$$ and buy a larger DLP like my Samsung 71'' in my living room. In HD the image is great, esp. on sports.

Life isn't like a bowl of cherries or peaches. It's more like a jar of jalapenos--What you do today might burn your ass tomorrow.

If you ain't laughing, you ain't living, baby. Carlos Mencia

Quote Originally Posted by 2jazzyjeff
    I have never seen a projector worth buying for the home. They all look washed out and colorless. The only advantage, not really, is having a possible 102'' screen. Save your $$$ and buy a larger DLP like my Samsung 71'' in my living room. In HD the image is great, esp. on sports.
    You know I luv ya Jeff, but................BITE ME!!!! Now that I know size does matter, I feel really inadequate!

That looks great. I'll bet everything looks good on it.

Dave
    Dave

2jj, I'm definitely jealous. I think that TV is bigger than my entire house.
    Daniel

A couple years ago we got a Sony KDFE42A10 42" LCD Rear Projection Television and it's great. It's only 17" deep and we put it in a corner anyway. Very happy with it. Everyone that comes by to watch a game in HD always remarks on the great colors, clarity and detail of the image. This particular model isn't readily available anymore but I wouldn't shy away from another rear projection tv in the future.
    http://www.amazon.com/Sony-KDFE42A10.../dp/B000A2K3XW