Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: iMac vs. PC?

OK, iMac (router, modem or ISP) just stopped working on me again. It has happened two times with this one I got about 12 days ago. The same deal....the page wouldn't load up and no other websites were able to be accessed. My "Airport" wireless feature indicated that I was still connected to my home network (router has been plugged right into the back of the iMac for about a week). Then I restarted the iMac and everything works ok for now.....exactly the same thing as the previous iMac. Just eliminate the router altogether (for now) and just plug the modem into the back of the iMac? This is quite frustrating...I'm ready to eat spoonfuls of Vaseline petro jelly! Thanks.

If you have your router plugged right into the back of the iMac, then you don't need to have Airport turned on at all. If your Airport is on with your router plugged into your ethernet port, then your iMac may be getting confused trying to connect through the ethernet and through Airport. I think chick had a similar issue and this solved it. Just turn your airport off when connected with the ethernet directly.

I have two Macs connected, my iMac connected by ethernet to the modem and my MacBook connected by ethernet when it's on my desk and connected wirelessly through Airport if I'm using it somewhere else in my apartment, keeping the MacBook's Airport turned off when connected by ethernet.

If your modem is near your computer and you don't need more than your iMac to connect to the internet, then you can bypass the router all together and connect directly from the modem.
    Last edited by Scorpion; 03-27-2010 at 06:19 PM.

Thanks Scorp, Before I try your suggestion I just changed the channel on the router to see if that does anything first. Now forgive my ignorance but you are saying that I can turn my Airport off since the cable/modem/router is plugged directly into the iMac? So the Airport feature is really only used for in home (ethernet) wireless connections? Thanks dude.

Quote Originally Posted by smokey View Post
    Now forgive my ignorance but you are saying that I can turn my Airport off since the cable/modem/router is plugged directly into the iMac? So the Airport feature is really only used for in home (ethernet) wireless connections?
    That's correct. Airport should only be on when you're connecting wirelessly.

Quote Originally Posted by smokey View Post
    ...you are saying that I can turn my Airport off since the cable/modem/router is plugged directly into the iMac? So the Airport feature is really only used for in home (ethernet) wireless connections? Thanks dude.
    As Scorp said, YES, turn the 'Airport' OFF when you connect your MODEM directly to your iMac.

When you said your ROUTER has been connected to the back of the iMac, I think you meant that you did this while you were not using the wireless and wondered why the airport was still connected(?) Well, when you are connecting directly thru your cable modem, just connect that ethernet cord from your modem directly to your iMac. You do not need the router if this is the only computer (or connection) you are using at the moment.

When I was switching back and forth from my DSL modem to router/airport frequently, I kept forgetting to change my connection setting as well - like leaving airport on when I wasn't using it - thus having some conflicts. Since there wasn't a problem every single time, I would forget to check.

It also sounds like you may be confusing your ethernet connection from your wireless (airport) connection. You can "Open Network Preferences" to see how you are connected. Wireless connections can be in-home or other network (incl. from outside) if you have access and the signal is strong. For example, my building recently started providing wireless internet service, which I'm considering signing up for since it's free, so if I do this, then I would not need my own router to connect wirelessly. I would however Turn Airport On, and then Join Other Network (eg. "floor x"). Also, as I described earlier, I was able to access an open network that was actually down the street from me (a hotel), tho it wasn't very strong or stable.

Hope that helps clarify things a bit!
    Last edited by chick; 03-27-2010 at 07:46 PM.

Chickydo, Thanks as well. But can you clarify something for me regarding ethernet/wireless connections? Right now my "Network Preferences" indicate that; Ethernet is connected, Firewire is not connected, Airport is off. What would happen if I clicked the button to disconnect the Ethernet?
    My Comcast cable runs into the modem, the modem is then connected to the router, and the router is plugged into the back of the iMac. The lovely and gracious Mrs. Smokey has an HP laptop perhaps 20 feet away getting the signal via the router.
    The Apple support guy said turn off Airport as well. He also suggested just leaving the router out of the loop for a day or so (when my old lady isn't using her lappy) and see how that goes. The more I get into this, the more inept I feel. Thanks again.

Smokey: When the iMac stopped working, did the laptop lose its connection to the Internet as well?

Chick: Your up.
    The test of success is not what you do when you are on top. Success is how high you bounce when you hit the bottom
    --General George Patton

Complex problems need to be solved collectively.
    ––Paul Nussbaum
    usc87.blogspot.com

I've got Comcast cable internet, too. Here's how I'm connected...

Cable From Wall > Modem > Ethernet Cable > Router > Ethernet Cable > iMac
    Cable From Wall > Modem > Ethernet Cable > Router > Ethernet Cable > MacBook

or...

Cable From Wall > Modem > Ethernet Cable > Router > Wireless > Airport > MacBook

If you clicked to turn the Ethernet connection off (ethernet cable is the one that's connected to your iMac that looks like a larger phone cord) then you won't be online at all, unless you turn on your Airport and get online through your wireless router. And yes, if Mrs. Smokey doesn't need to be online on her laptop, you can disconnect the router all together and connect straight from the modem, in order to see if it's the router that's the issue.

But I suspect that, even going through your router and connecting via ethernet, leaving Airport off should eleminate disconnection issues on your iMac. There will always be occasions where you'll lose internet connection and have to restart the modem and/or router, but it sounds like the recent 2 problems in the last 12 days were likely due to having Airport on while also being connected via ethernet, this conflicts arising as your Mac gets confused as to which to use.

Quote Originally Posted by PN View Post
    Smokey: When the iMac stopped working, did the laptop lose its connection to the Internet as well?

Chick: Your up.
    She was not on it at the time and I did not check it. But...I simply rebooted the iMac (as I have done many, many times now) and everything was fine.

Can't help with your router issues but Google Chrome for Mac is a way better browser than Safari. Faster and cleaner
    C5/6 incomplete

"I assume you all have guns and crack....."