Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: iMac vs. PC?

Quote Originally Posted by PN View Post
    Smokey, give Firefox a try. I use Firefox 99% of the time on my Intel iMac. If Firefox continues to crash or you are getting a beach ball with other programs, I would return the Mac and get a new one. You may have gotten a lemon. There have been problems with the new 27 inch Intel iMac. Just do a Google search.

I downloaded Firefox last night and it worked fine.......for about 2 hours......then the same shit started happening! The window/page wouldn't advance nor would it close. So I pressed option/command/esc and the window/page closed. I tried to open up Firefox again and the window/page wouldn't load up [beach ball] and then a "Firefox not connected to the internet" error message appeared. I rebooted the computer and it worked ok after that. I think I've had to reboot this thing about 8-10 times in 6 days just to get it to surf the net with only one or two windows up......not even challenging the processor. Something has to be wrong with the software in the iMac. I have a strong wireless connection from the router. There has never been a signal issue with the other laptops in the house. I am disgusted with the performance of this piece of garbage once again.

For a new computer to crash this often is unexceptionable! Take it back and get a new Mac.
    The test of success is not what you do when you are on top. Success is how high you bounce when you hit the bottom
    --General George Patton

Complex problems need to be solved collectively.
    ––Paul Nussbaum
    usc87.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by PN View Post
    For a new computer to crash this often is unexceptionable! Take it back and get a new Mac.
    Unacceptable, even. Brand new system that is that unstable? I'd take the system back.
    Daniel

[QUOTE=PN;1182854]For a new computer to crash this often is unexceptionable! Take it back and get a new Mac.[/QUOTE

I will return it and get a new one but only if the 14 day return/exchange period re-starts again. Otherwise I will just return it and get a PC setup online. I bought it at a Best Buy and of course they must take back a defective product but I also want the full 14 days to try out another iMac again.

Quote Originally Posted by smokey View Post

I will return it and get a new one but only if the 14 day return/exchange period re-starts again. Otherwise I will just return it and get a PC setup online. I bought it at a Best Buy and of course they must take back a defective product but I also want the full 14 days to try out another iMac again.
    I would want and expect the same. Do not settle for less.
    The test of success is not what you do when you are on top. Success is how high you bounce when you hit the bottom
    --General George Patton

––Paul Nussbaum
    usc87.blogspot.com

OK, Here's the deal....I went to Best Buy and brought back the 8 day old defective iMac and exchanged it for another new one with the 14 day return/exchange period re-starting again. Set it up last night and it was good so I downloaded http://bettertouchtool.en.softonic.com/mac to enhance the features and speed on the Magic Mouse. It worked great then. However today the new iMac had some similar problems. First, it takes about 60 seconds to start up (the one I brought back only took 28 seconds...not a big deal but why the difference?). Second, the mouse did not work for about 2 minutes when I first started the computer (yes, the mouse was "on" and the bottom was clean). Then for no reason apparent to me the mouse started to work. About 1/2 hour went by with no problems and I clicked on a link in the Yahoo website and the page would not load up. Getting a bad feeling. I waited about a minute and then I clicked on the little red dot on the upper left hand corner to close the window....and it would not close. I then clicked on the Apple icon in the upper left hand corner and selected "Restart"....and the computer did nothing. I just about puked on the keyboard and went on my old Dell for about 15 minutes. I came back to the iMac and then for no reason apparent to me once again the iMac started to work.
    Then about an hour later I noticed the mouse was not functioning at the same speed it was earlier in the day.....I apparently had lost my Better Touch Tool capabilities. I downloaded BTT again and it has worked fine so far. I then downloaded Firefox and was using that browser for maybe 10 minutes and then THE PAGE WOULD NOT LOAD AGAIN! I closed out the window and bebooted the iMac and it has worked fine now for a couple of hours.
    I'm fucking losing it here....any suggestions before I call my good buddies at Apple support? I find it hard to believe that I've brought home 3 defective iMacs in the past 2 years. My sense is that it's a software problem. Or maybe Apple is just cranking these products out of the factories quickly with poor quality control. Or maybe it's me....but I don't think so.

Smokey: I would like to know your signal strength, i.e. Transmit rate. Try a different mouse if possible. Make sure you are current with all of your Mac updates. Is the Intel iMac hard wired to the router or is this a wireless connection?
    --General George Patton

––Paul Nussbaum
    usc87.blogspot.com

PN, Thanks for your quick reply and suggestions.

http://www.speedtest.net/result/751084620.png

I'm not sure how to give you a quantitative signal strength/transmit rate other than that. I am currently using the iMac wireless feature "Airport" to pick up a signal from our Cisco Linksys router which sits only about 15 feet away. The little "wireless" icon in the upper right hand corner of the iMac screen indicates a strong signal. The iMac will be hard wired to the router if I keep it. But my old lady is receiving the same wireless signal on her laptop and is having no problems. In fact with the previous iMac I just returned, when it froze up on me I went to the laptop to see if the signal was poor there and may be causing an issue...but it was fine. I am current with all my Mac updates. I only have this one Magic Mouse.

Hold down the Option key, and click the Airport icon (upper right-hand corner left of the speaker) to get your Transmit Rate. I would also delete the Better Touch Tool, that you downloaded.
    --General George Patton

––Paul Nussbaum
    usc87.blogspot.com

OK, as I was just posting my previous answer and clicked on the "submit reply" button the page wouldn't load up....the wheel was spinning away. I thought I was going to have to rewrite my post. I did have 3 windows up and running so I closed down 2 windows and the one window I left up works. I'm getting so frustrated.