Page 1 of 10 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: iMac vs. PC?

iMac vs. PC?

I'm thinking of getting a new Apple iMac with a 2.0 GHz processor, upgrade the memory from 1 gig to 2 gigs of RAM and a 20" screen. At Best Buy this would come to $1300. I currently have a Dell 2350 Dimension PC that works ok but is 5 years old. Is it really worth it to switch over to a Mac as many folks claim? I can get a regular PC quite a bit cheaper. I'm not into computer games and it would be for regular household usage. The iMac does look very cool and people that have them love them. Any comments appreciated...good or bad. Thanks.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1185267959940

There both the same.... do you drive a ford or a chev.

Theres also this:
    http://configure.us.dell.com/dellsto...=DXCWRK1&s=dhs
    Its 1399, an runs a 2.2ghz and 2GB of ram

I would get either as I'm not a "All-in-One" Fan. No fiux ability or upgrades.

Oh your post should be iMac OR PC

I'm going Mac and have been researching it more today to see which one and where to buy.

Having had a bad experience last month with my Uncle's new PC when I installed software for him with his Vista gig, I'm headed for Macland.

The software and d/l's Uncle J tried to install were initially rejected on his system due to Vista. It took me quite a while to set his system up so it'd accept and run what he wanted and needed.

For me a Mac makes more and more sense. I'm interested in vid shooting and editing in addition to writing so believe a MacPro is the way for me to go. Everything I hear indicates once you go Mac you never go back.

Let us know what you decide.

I've been using a Mac forever as my personal computer. At work I was forced to use a PC and hated it in comparison to the ease and intuitive feel of a Mac. No one I know who has ever "gone mac" has felt the urge to go back......

Quote Originally Posted by LaMemChose
    For me a Mac makes more and more sense. I'm interested in vid shooting and editing in addition to writing so believe a MacPro is the way for me to go. Everything I hear indicates once you go Mac you never go back.

Let us know what you decide.
    This is becoming less true now with quad cores..

Quote Originally Posted by Patonb
    This is becoming less true now with quad cores..
    You mean I've been sufficiently persuaded based upon marketing and friends to buy the hype and the MAC?

How much less of a difference in Macs and PCs? What would be noticeable in function?

Quote Originally Posted by LaMemChose
    You mean I've been sufficiently persuaded based upon marketing and friends to buy the hype and the MAC?

How much less of a difference in Macs and PCs? What would be noticeable in function?
    Up until just recently..... No it really was true.... Unless you had gajillions oif money to spend.

The PC quad cores will render faster, becaused of multi-tasking. I tried to find so better/real facts but newest was jun 06. Whiuch Mac is/was better.

I'll try to find more factual evidence on both.

the software that come on mac is good useful software, the stuff that comes on a PC is usually junk compared to the mac stuff.
    i think the mas is more intuitive, even beginners can figure out how to send a picture look at a picture,
    i wan to get one for video editing , but as Andy pointed out in another thread pc hardware is a lot cheaper.
    i know abode makes some video editing software that runs on pc's that is similar to final cut pro.
    si i am still undecided,
    cauda equina

i just bought an iMac 24" w/ 2.4G 6 weeks ago. i'm not sold yet when it comes to the Mac hype. i mean, it's nice & all, but so far i think i'd have been just as happy buying another PC. the $ wasn't an issue for me tho, and had heard so much good stuff about it i figured it was worth a shot.

really, i was just fed up w/ pc problems, so i thought it would be solved by going to Mac. however, in only 6 weeks, it has locked up on me a few times, and the whole 'intuitive' hype is just that -- hype (to me, anyway). yes, it is easy, but so was pc b/c i was so used to it. plus, how can you judge 'intuitiveness' of a platform?

don't get me wrong, i do like my iMac. i'm not worried about viruses, it's fast, etc. but i recommend that if you buy it that you do so b/c it has actual physical aspects that you like. not b/c someone says it's 'intuitive.'

I've been using a Mac forever as my personal computer. At work I was forced to use a PC and hated it in comparison to the ease and intuitive feel of a Mac. No one I know who has ever "gone mac" has felt the urge to go back......
    I could write nearly the same thing!! I have been a Mac user since 1989, and am now on my 3rd Mac at home (and lusting after a new iMac). At work I started off with a Mac and then was forced to get a PC which I hate...I curse Bill Gates daily for Windows and how much more difficult it is to use, and how it presumes to know better than you what you want to do (unlike the much more intuitive Mac).

And on top of that, the Mac is a much more cool looking piece of equipment!

(KLD)