Thread: challenging dealerships to support more handicap vehicals

Thumbs up challenging dealerships to support more handicap vehicals

ok guys this is my idea, i first need a print out list of all the members from our site. I want to challenge every auto dealership to make available at least 1 modified vehicle on their lot with strict regulations and guidelines for people in need of transportation. I will start by available the every general manager in the United States. For some like me its not that i cant drive i just dont have a modified vehicle to drive, and i cant afford to buy a available that meets the standards for TRC to modify. Oh yeah i know theirs public transportation but for all of us and even able bodied people thats a nightmare. They say they want us to be independent then help us get the tools to make that dream come true. Im single and raising kids on my own.Often times I cant get to their school functions for various rules that public transportation does not meet(Metro Lift). In case of an emergency lets say the school or a sporting event i often feel helpless. Bothering people for rides and being told by the system that they they dont service the area i live in has helped meta make my New Year's Resolution. I figure if i can get 1 auto maker to go along with this plan the others will follow. I know its allot to ask and i know its a plan, but all of us have had bigger challenges and i think this is 1 that could benefit us all. I'm not asking for a hand out , we dont want 2nd vehicles or vehicles for people who are capable of purchasing their own car.Like i said in the beginning strict guidelines and regulations for qualifying applicants is what we are asking for....not handouts. I want to say that is has been a long time since i posted but i am realy pasionate about this and for a while i guess i just gave up hope but i hope and pray that you will get behind me on this.

Love Gloria

Quote Originally Posted by glomae
    ok guys this is my idea, i first need a print out list of all the members from our site. I want to challenge every auto dealership to make available at least 1 modified vehicle on their lot with strict regulations and guidelines for people in need of transportation... I'm not asking for a hand out , we dont want 2nd vehicles or vehicles for people who are capable of purchasing their own car.Like i said in the beginning strict guidelines and regulations for qualifying applicants is what we are asking for....not handouts.
    I don't think I understand what you're looking for. Every major automotive manufacturer who sells cars in the United States has a mobility motoring program. You can easily get a car modified if you buy one through a dealership. Is that not what you're talking about? Are you looking for a free car for people with disabilities?

C.

Many countries give free cars to disable people. Different rules in different countries. I know Norway, Sweden and Denmark have different ways and I saw Mimin say that Israel is giving free cars too.

Here it depends of how much money you are earning but you never pay more then $20 000 for a van with modification. I don't have to pay because my disability money is about $30 000 in the year before tax. That is not to much and I will never have money to pay the normal price for the van, in my case $ 100 000 + modification.
    TH 12, 43 years post

Quote Originally Posted by woman from Europe
    I will never have money to pay the normal price for the van, in my case $ 100 000 + modification.
    Why do you need a $100,000 van??

C.

Mercedes Benz

Quote Originally Posted by Tiger Racing
    Why do you need a $100,000 van??

C.
    Why not?

Mercedes Benz, the ultimate in luxury and modified.

titanium4motion

That is what you get. You don't have any choise. It is not my decision. The only thing I decide is the color. You have to keep it for eleven years and then you get a new one.

And remember, the cars are much more expensive here in Norway because cars have a lot of tax. And the reason they give the car is because all the transports ar inaccessible for wheel chair users
    Last edited by woman from Europe; 01-15-2008 at 08:46 PM.
    TH 12, 43 years post

Quote Originally Posted by titanium4motion
    Why not?
    Because most low level paras don't need a van. Basic hand controls for a car cost quite a bit less than 100 grand.

Mercedes Benz, the ultimate in luxury and modified.
    Sorry, but BMW is the Ultimate Driving Machine and I've never really been into Mercedes. That just looks like another mini-van to me. I don't need to drive one, so I wouldn't choose to drive one.

C.

Quote Originally Posted by woman from Europe
    the cars are much more expensive here in Norway because cars have a lot of tax.
    So a car with hand controls would cost more than a modified van?

And the reason they give the car is because all the transports ar inaccessible for wheel chair users
    Hey, if your country can afford to give people with disabilities their own cars, then I think that's great! Of course, if the place is really as inaccessible as it seems from reading your posts, then it sounds like a bit more work needs to be done in that direction.

C.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiger Racing

Hey, if your country can afford to give people with disabilities their own cars, then I think that's great! Of course, if the place is really as inaccessible as it seems from reading your posts, then it sounds like a bit more work needs to be done in that direction.

C.
    I agree with that, but the Goverment doesnt care too much about it. I would have said no to the car if I could travel with the usual transport. I could have taken the bus or the tram easily if it was acccessible. I am living in the middel of the capital of Norway so it is a lot of buses and trams everywhere. Some buses can be used but they only take manuelle chairs. But we don't know the time table for them. I have called a tousend times to the bus company to tell them that I need to know the time table but they only answer is that they don't know.

The reason I get a van is because I have overused my arms so if I should break down a chair every time I was using the car, I would have been in trouble in a very short time. But most of the disable people in wheel chair get this car in the picture, paras and quads. I think the car is too big, I would have prefer a smaller one, but I have a Permobil Trax too and I need place for this one also. I own a cottage in the forrest and it is impossible to go there with a manuelle chair. And my daughter live in the western part of Norway and I want to visit her too.
    TH 12, 43 years post