Thread: Finding Reliable Agency??

Finding Reliable Agency??

I'm c6/7 sci and am looking for a reliable home health agency in the New Providence area of Union County, New Jersey. As well can someone give me pointers on how to find a good agency and questions to ask when calling for info.
    I live alone so there is a small margin of error in the event I find that nightmare aid. I won't be able to ask them to leave and rely on someone to help me get ready in the morning.

Suggests appreciated.

Are you required to use an agency due to your insurance? Do you private pay?

Agency help can be problematic as often you have no choice of who you get, and have less control over the work they do. Many agencies also don't allow (or the state won't allow them to assign) aides to do things like bowel care, caths, etc. that you may need, requiring you to use an LPN or RN instead (for significantly more money). While you may be able to get a different caregiver in an emergency (no show, illnesses, etc.) often this is NOT the case, or you will get someone who really does not know what they are doing, and at a time that does not work for you.

Hiring your own PCAs has the advantage of you clearly being the boss, directing everything from what time you get the care to how it is done, and making all hiring/firing decisions. You can arrange multiple PCAs to cover different days/times of day, and also arrange for back-ups when you are interviewing. A PCA can do anything you direct them to do, and salary is usually much less than an agency, and negotiable. You may need to train your own PCAs, but in my experience most agency staff (HHA/LPNs/RNs) don't know anything about SCI anyway, and are much less willing to take direction from you.

(KLD)

I have to use an agency because of limited income. I could not possibly pay for a HHA 7 days out of my own pocket. I will be using NJ Medicaid through NJ's Workability program.

Fortunatly my needs are few, Bathing, dressing, cooking, light cleaning, shopping. I'm able to do my own bowel care.

KLD is right... We only use an agency once and a while because we don't use a PCA on a regular basis. But if you will be having someone help out on a regular basis, then hiring your own person would be the best bet.

Sieg

Does NJ require you to use an agency for this? In CA we have IHSS which is for those on Medicaid, and you can hire whomever you want as your PCA if you can find someone who will work for the salary provided (just over minimum wage). You can't find agencies that will accept what IHSS pays, and you are better off without them.

(KLD)