Thread: Cornish Hen Prep?

Cornish Hen Prep?

I opened my big fat mouth and now instead of going out for dinner on New Year's Eve (I wanted lobster!), we're staying home for a quiet evening and I'm trying my hand at Cornish Hens with baby vegetables and stuffed potato halves.

I've never prepared cornish hens in my life. I have chicken stuffing (I'm not making homemade - it's Stove Top). Lately I've been burning things and over-peppering ... I think it's because I'm moving slow with the catheter still in my chest. The question is ... roasting pan or dutch oven?

Umm .. any advice? lol
    Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

even i can cook a cornish hen,mom teached me about them when i was in college

just fallow directions on package,,,,,,,if i remember right just put it in the oven on a cookie sheet. 1 bird is about right for 1 person

i know stuffing veggies & hen can all be cooked in the same dish,,,,,but maybe simpler to cook everything seperate

plan b: set oven on 650deg, put two thighs in oven until smoke detectors go off,,,,,act real upset........then mention that lobster place again

I usually cook two cornish hens (make the stuffing and put it in the cavity, salt/season the hens) in a 9x13 pyrex dish. I arrange the vegetables (usually potatoes and perhaps carrots) around the hens. Season the veggies and then drizzle a bit of extra virgin olive oil over both the hens and the veggies. Put the pan in the oven at 375 degrees for about an hour.
    Daniel

What the heck Carl You had me convinced you couldn't cook. I've been used.

It's easier to keep all that juice in with a pyrex or some sort of dish than a cookie sheet. I put my veggies in the pan also.

Quote Originally Posted by dan_nc
    I usually cook two cornish hens (make the stuffing and put it in the cavity, salt/season the hens) in a 9x13 pyrex dish. I arrange the vegetables (usually potatoes and perhaps carrots) around the hens. Season the veggies and then drizzle a bit of extra virgin olive oil over both the hens and the veggies. Put the pan in the oven at 375 degrees for about an hour.
    Exactly. If you like garlic put a few cloves in with your vegatables. They roast up sweet. But you don't have to eat them if you don't want to. A very good roasted potato flavor enhancer.
    Life isn't about getting thru the storm but learning to dance in the rain.

So how was it?

Awesome ... but next time I'd baste them more. I'd definately make those again but David thought it was a waste of money. As always, Mr Stingey comments. I notice he ate it though, quite ravenously if I recall, lol.
    Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

I've never cooked them this way, but I have a recipe that calls for putting 2 strips of bacon criss cross over each hen. It would make them sort of self basting I would think.
    T7-8 since Feb 2005

A little late for New Year's Eve but I used to wash them, lightly olive oil them and toss them on a medium grill about 5 inches off the coals and to the side. Baking potatoes sliced almost through and thin slices of onion in the holes, drizzle with more oil wrap in olive oil and wrap in foil. Put those two packets in the middle of the grill. Leave be for 30 minutes then swap sides and turn birds around and over and flip potato packages. Another 20 minutes or so, salad and a rose wine, done. Healthy too. Oh, and a few smashed garlic cloves OR a couple crab apples in the birds flavors them up good.
    Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow."

Disclaimer: Answers, suggestions, and/or comments do not constitute medical advice expressed or implied and are based solely on my experiences as a SCI patient. Please consult your attending physician for medical advise and treatment. In the event of a medical emergency please call 911.