Thread: Finally, relief from UTIs

Finally, relief from UTIs

Since my injury in Jan of '06 I've had to self-cath. I've been plagued with UTIs every 4 to 6 weeks. In Sep I went to a urologist and asked him what we could do about them. I was drinking water, cranberry juice (very high in calories) and taking cranberry capsules. I still got UTIs. He put me on a low dose antibiotic to prevent bacteria from starting a UTI. I haven't had a UTI since August. It is such a relief to be able to make plans and not worry about an infection ruining your plans. Check it out it worked for me.

What antibiotic and what dosage were you prescribed? Isn't it bad to always be on an antiotic?

lowrider,

Let me guess, Macrobid? Yes, it can work long term, but you will eventually breed a bacteria in your bladder that will become resistant to Macrobid.

I was ordered the same medication. Unfortunately, the last post was correct in regards to becoming resistant.
    Knowing now what I didn't know then, I wouldn't go with the same medication regimen.
    I'm not sure what the answer is. But, having to resort to intravenous medication for certain bladder issues is not fun.

I'm glad you're not suffering uti's!
    They're painful & scarey.

God Bless you~ Kay

For most people, using the low dose antibiotic is not recomended. However, after trying many other things, zi do know that this is the route that some people chose to go. While the bug can become resistant, unfortunately having multiple uti's is not good either.

I would try this regimine for a few months and then see if you can come off of the antibiotics for good. In the meantime, make sure that you drink plenty of fluids (cranberry juice is not only high in calories, expensive but there is not anything in the literature that shows it prevents utis), cath regularily, try not to drink much caffeine and alcohol. I am not sure if you are sexually active, but it is not uncommon for some women to have frequent uti's after sexual activity. If that is the case, one thing that can be tried is vagifem (it is a small dose of estrogen that is inserted vaginally). It helps to increase lubrication and thus helps to avoid cracks in the vagina that can lead to utis. It might be something else to look at!
    Hopefully you will get through this and be uti free!
    CKF