Thread: vitamin c

vitamin c

i take vit c twice daily with mandelamine and get a lot of heartburn. i have a had ulcer surgery and i worry the c could cause more ulcer problems. maybe the nurse knows. i take two nexium daily.

Vitamin C is an acid- although a weak one. It could be adding to your GI distress. Are you taking it with food? That might help. '

Although using Vitamin C and Mandelamine has been done for years, there is really nothing in the literature that supports the continued use as a way of preventing UTI's. I know that there are people that swear by it- it's just that the literature doesn't show it. You might want to try stopping it and seeing if your GI distress gets better and also whether or not you have more urinary tract problems.
    CKF

I was as skeptical as anyone about Vit C, however after suffering multiple UTI's I gave it a shot. I take 7 grams a day plus 1 tablet of Zinc and the results have been extraordinary! I'm now down to about 1 uti a year and actually haven't had one for 1.5 years, so knock on wood. Also, I use only 1 cath and then toss it. Yes it's expensive, but it's better than the alternative. Finally, I only take it with food. It'll eat your guts out if you take it on an empty stomach. No matter what anyone says, it works and works damn well. You may not need 7 grams so just adjust it untill your urine is clear. That's my take on it.

so v ike,u dont think all that c could cause or aggravate stomach ulcers...

It can cause heartburn. Take it with food. There is no reason to take more than vitamin C 1000 mg. daily, even if you are using it to try to acidify your urine to reduce UTIs or stones (which really has no scientific basis...probably mostly placebo effect). It is water soluable, which is why it acidifies the urine.

(KLD)

I'd still give it a shot. Dealing with an ulcer is a hell of a lot easier than dealing with an uti. I also tried 1000mg of vit c and kept getting uti's so I kept upping it until I was clear over a long period of time. We need a study on C and uti's, I think the evidence is clear. I weigh taking a couple of extra C pills a day or getting the hell kicked out of me being on Cipro every 2 months.

Actually, a large study was done at Spain Rehab Center (Univ. of Alabama) about UTIs and vitamin C in those with SCI, and they found that in their study (3 groups: control, vitamin C alone, and vitamin C plus Hiprex) that the control group had the LOWEST rate of UTIs over a 6 month period.

Since my father nearly died from a bleeding ulcer this year (related to aspirin use), I take exception to your contention that a bleeding ulcer is easier to treat than a UTI. In fact, before H2 blockers, gastric hemorrhage from stress ulcers was a leading cause of death in those with new SCIs....I saw it in my practice.

(KLD)

i agree kld, i had an ulcer perforate stomache and bowel. had a helicoptor ride to hospital, surgery, and 2 weeks in hosp. i'd take uti any day over that. thus my fear of vit c, in case it caused or aggravated ulcers. i was taking 2000 mg when tummy explloded.

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse
    It can cause heartburn. Take it with food. There is no reason to take more than vitamin C 1000 mg. daily, even if you are using it to try to acidify your urine to reduce UTIs or stones (which really has no scientific basis...probably mostly placebo effect). It is water soluable, which is why it acidifies the urine.

(KLD)
    A professor in hearth surgery from over here himself SCI’d a couple of years ago wants to try to find out the effects/or not when it comes to vitamin C and UTI’s over here. The trial is approved by authorities here and also by the EU. The trial will cower two groups, one that will receive vitamin C (in collaboration with their doctors) and a control group. The trial will take part over a period of a year. Aside of him the trial is set up by experienced SCI docs. This to try to find out the effects of vitamin C due to lacking articles about it in the scientific literature. Just want to inform.

I've been taking vitamin C and several other vitamins for a while now and I haven't had so much as a little sniffle the whole time, and not even a hint of a UTI. I guess it's working for me because I didn't really think of it until I read this thread.
    C-5/6, 7-9-2000
    Scottsdale, AZ

Make the best out of today because yesterday is gone and tomorrow may never come. Nobody knows that better than those of us that have almost died from spinal cord injury.