Page 9 of 49 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819 ... LastLast

Thread: Recipes for avoiding UTI's

So you get sick, go to er, get antibiotic iv.
    Do they culture a urine sample & prescribe a specific antibiotic for that infection for a minimum of 14 days?
    If not, then you're not getting rid of it.
    You're just treating the same one long enough to feel better,
    and the infection is getting stronger & stronger.
    Do they retest you after taking the specific antibiotic for 14 days,
    to make sure you're healed?

Quote Originally Posted by Mona~on~wheels
    So you get sick, go to er, get antibiotic iv.
    Do they culture a urine sample & prescribe a specific antibiotic for that infection for a minimum of 14 days?
    If not, then you're not getting rid of it.
    You're just treating the same one long enough to feel better,
    and the infection is getting stronger & stronger.
    Do they retest you after taking the specific antibiotic for 14 days,
    to make sure you're healed?
    i also take antibiotics for 14 days after i leave the hospital. But i don't beleive that i have followed up after. i am telling you i have got to get rid of my urologist. he is just not working for me.
    T-7 Complete
    "If you don't like something, change it; if you can't change it, change the way you think about it."

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse
    Have you tried getting a new catheter for each cath? Medicare covers this now. If not, then the recommended method for cleaning catheters is not boiling.
    1. Wash with warm soapy water, rinse well with tap water, shake dry.
    2. Lay on a clean dry bath towel and fold over. Continue with catheters and folding in the same towel throughout the day.
    3. At the end of the day, set this set of catheters aside and allow to continue to dry another 24 hours.
    4. Once completely dry, place in clean dry paper lunch bag until you need to reuse.
    5. Never soak in disinfectant or store in an air-tight container.

When you say you have had 15 UTIs, do you mean 15 infections (fevers, chills, flank pain, AD, severe malaise, etc.) or 15 positive cultures? The latter, without symptoms, are not UTIs in people with SCI. Only the former should be considered a UTI and treated.

Print this out and share and discuss it with your urologist:
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/bv...1.chapter.8279

Having a stone will cause you to be constantly colonized and increase your risks for true UTIs. The stone needs to be removed ASAP.

Catheterization technique is rarely the culprit in repeated UTIs in SCI. Much more common are the following problems that increase your risks for UTIs:
    • Cathing too infrequently (less often than every 4-6 hours)
    • Allowing too much urine in your bladder at any one time (over 450 cc.)
    • Stones
    • Chronic prostate infection (males)
    • Having a high pressure bladder (when did you last have urodynamic studies?? What was your maximum detrusor pressure??)
    (KLD)
    Hi KLD I am bumping this because "you" saved my life.

Quote Originally Posted by Seenkid101
    i also take antibiotics for 14 days after i leave the hospital. But i don't beleive that i have followed up after. i am telling you i have got to get rid of my urologist. he is just not working for me.
    You are setting yourself up for C Diff which is diarrhea due to all those anti-biotics stripping the friendly bacteria from your intestines.

The Uroquid/Visoquid acid needs a prescription, but even with Cranberry
    and vitamin c, it might not be enough if you have another related problem.
    I can't use regular catheters, I have to use a complete kit Gloves, betadine prep, napkin (Mentor 1014, Bard 4A450) which allows me to cath in a sterile manor. This by itself reduced my amount of UTI's. Where did you rehab? Do you have any follow up appointments?
    And the truth shall set you free.

Quote Originally Posted by NoDecafPlz
    You are setting yourself up for C Diff which is diarrhea due to all those anti-biotics stripping the friendly bacteria from your intestines.

The Uroquid/Visoquid acid needs a prescription, but even with Cranberry
    and vitamin c, it might not be enough if you have another related problem.
    I can't use regular catheters, I have to use a complete kit Gloves, betadine prep, napkin (Mentor 1014, Bard 4A450) which allows me to cath in a sterile manor. This by itself reduced my amount of UTI's. Where did you rehab? Do you have any follow up appointments?
    NoDecafPlz-

I went to rehab In charlotte. Carolinas Rehabilitation. When i got out of rehab i was living in asheville, so i don't think that i got the proper set-up i was supposed to. I had to set up everything here with doctors when i got back and no one told me what i was supposed to have done (ie. ultrasound, bladder pressure) i guess i chose the wrong urologist. This is very frustrating because no one here helps me with these things. I can't afford catheders or sterile kits for that matter. I am not having a problem with my UTI's as of right now..its been a couple months but i still need to get rid of whatever is inside me.
    T-7 Complete
    "If you don't like something, change it; if you can't change it, change the way you think about it."

Even with the sterile kits in the rehab center, you had one that wouldn't go away. It's most definitely NOT the cathing technique. That is a fact. It's something else.
    True love doesn't have a happy ending because true love doesn't end.

- Shannon

To get a closer look into my life:
    www.lovecommashannon.blogspot.com

Gotcha.

Ok, I have checked the interactions with the Visoquid acid tablets. you would want to make sure that if you are taking any kind of Prilosec, Zantac, any kind of antacid, that you don't take within two hours of the Visoquid acid tablets. There should be no other concerns, even an antibiotic.

I would strongly recommend my menu ASAP so that you are at least practicing some preventive maintenance.

Besides drinking water/cranberry juice and making sure cath area is prepped with betadine, I supplement with:

2 Visoquid Acid tablets x2 daily (morning and bedtime)
    2 Green Source multivitamins x2 daily (morning and bedtime)
    2 CVS Brand Max Cranberry x2 daily (morning and bedtime)
    1 1000 mg time release Vitamin C (morning)

Uroquid acid can be up'd to 4x a day when people feel a uti coming on.

Thank God I have been near UTI free for two whole years.

Quote Originally Posted by Seenkid101
    NoDecafPlz-

I went to rehab In charlotte. Carolinas Rehabilitation. When i got out of rehab i was living in asheville, so i don't think that i got the proper set-up i was supposed to. I had to set up everything here with doctors when i got back and no one told me what i was supposed to have done (ie. ultrasound, bladder pressure) i guess i chose the wrong urologist. This is very frustrating because no one here helps me with these things. I can't afford catheders or sterile kits for that matter. I am not having a problem with my UTI's as of right now..its been a couple months but i still need to get rid of whatever is inside me.
    And the truth shall set you free.

Thanks a lot. I will be getting on this ASAP!!!
    T-7 Complete

I use rubbing alcohol on a cotton ball to clean the head, and use Speedi Cath catheters. Also take 1000mg Vitamin C and a cranberry capsule and drink 2 tablespoons of apple cider vinegar every day. Free of infections for over a year.

difference between an infection and uti?
    The best way to predict the future is to invent it.