Page 8 of 49 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718 ... LastLast

Thread: Recipes for avoiding UTI's

Quote Originally Posted by NoDecafPlz

2 Uroquid Acid (50/50) x2 daily (morning and bedtime)
    2 Green Source multivitamins x2 daily (morning and bedtime)
    2 CVS Brand Max Cranberry x2 daily (morning and bedtime)
    1 1000 mg time release Vitamin C (morning)

if i were to try this would taking a daily antibiotic interfere??
    T-7 Complete
    "If you don't like something, change it; if you can't change it, change the way you think about it."

It could, depending on the antibiotic. Why are you taking a routine antibiotic? This is generally NOT recommended for those with SCI as it invariably leads to developing a bad resistant strain of bacteria and does not assure prevention of antibiotics. Did your urologist put you on this? Are they an expert in SCI or neurologic urology?

(KLD)

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse
    It could, depending on the antibiotic. Why are you taking a routine antibiotic? This is generally NOT recommended for those with SCI as it invariably leads to developing a bad resistant strain of bacteria and does not assure prevention of antibiotics. Did your urologist put you on this? Are they an expert in SCI or neurologic urology?

(KLD)
    no he is not. I live in a smaller city and charlotte is the closest place to have an expert urologist for SCI's. I was having such a bad case of uti's i have had 15 in the past nine months. so you think if i were to stop taking the antibiotic and try lots of cranberry and vitamins i should be ok?
    T-7 Complete
    "If you don't like something, change it; if you can't change it, change the way you think about it."

Quote Originally Posted by Seenkid101
    no he is not. I live in a smaller city and charlotte is the closest place to have an expert urologist for SCI's. I was having such a bad case of uti's i have had 15 in the past nine months. so you think if i were to stop taking the antibiotic and try lots of cranberry and vitamins i should be ok?
    15 in the past 9 mo. is a lot. I think you may need to consider your cath method/technique as well, esp. if the freq. of uti's suddenly changed 9 months ago. Also, to help identify possible causes, you need to look at what other changes occurred around this time. Even if no direct cause, there may be precipitating factors. Sometimes, just changing your regular routine (not one better or worse) could contribute to making one more susceptible to infections.

Quote Originally Posted by chick
    15 in the past 9 mo. is a lot. I think you may need to consider your cath method/technique as well, esp. if the freq. of uti's suddenly changed 9 months ago. Also, to help identify possible causes, you need to look at what other changes occurred around this time. Even if no direct cause, there may be precipitating factors. Sometimes, just changing your regular routine (not one better or worse) could contribute to making one more susceptible to infections.
    hey chick,

i have been injured nine months. I have had Uti's since my accident. Not ever have i had one before i became paralyzed. my doctors and urologists say reconsider my method of cathing. I boil my catheders, store them in a clean towel covered, wipe front to back several times, and sanatize my hands. I really don't know what else i can do cathing wise. I take 1200 MG's of cranberry supplement and a 50 mg antibiotic. I did a few months ago have a 1CM size kidney stone that has been taken care of and only have had two since. What were replying to as changing my routine?? As far as what goes?
    T-7 Complete

Hi Seenkid. I didn't realize you were injured only 9 mo. What you've done these past 9 months is obviously something new and different for your body, and you're body may still be adjusting.

What I was meaning by 'changing routine', is regarding your cathing methods, time you cath (schedule, if you have any), freq of caths, etc. Has there been any changes in your regular daily routine (work, school, social activities, etc.) Also, are you drinking more, or less?

From what you've described, it sounds like you're utilizing a pretty clean technique. I'm assuming you do intermittent cath, using a straight cath. What type of catheter and do you use lube? Maybe use gloves, if able?

When you say you have a uti, were you tested each time to show positive uti? Sometimes, you can be colonized with bacteria, but it not be an infection. Were you symptomatic every time, and are you constantly having symptoms for you to be taking a routine antibiotic? Like nurse KLD stated above, regular and frequent use of antibiotic, esp. if non-symptomatic, can result in developing a bad resistant strain of bacteria. If you post the specific antibiotic you are taking, sci nurses may have more feedback and advise regarding that particular med and its effects.
    Last edited by chick; 09-30-2008 at 02:29 PM.

You may find that passing that kidney stone helps a lot, in decreasing number of uti's. You may also find, if your uro explores, that you have more in there. They harbor bacteria. We build them as our bones de-mineralize, which sucks to think about but is a fact of life.

If you have one stone, your likelihood of more goes way up. More info:

http://www.rogerbaxter.com/KidneySto...yStone_4.shtml

I'd ask my uro to look for any more stones, and or ways to prevent developing them.

I haven't had a uti since I passed my first stone, they were every 3 months like clockwork before.

Have you tried getting a new catheter for each cath? Medicare covers this now. If not, then the recommended method for cleaning catheters is not boiling.
    1. Wash with warm soapy water, rinse well with tap water, shake dry.
    2. Lay on a clean dry bath towel and fold over. Continue with catheters and folding in the same towel throughout the day.
    3. At the end of the day, set this set of catheters aside and allow to continue to dry another 24 hours.
    4. Once completely dry, place in clean dry paper lunch bag until you need to reuse.
    5. Never soak in disinfectant or store in an air-tight container.

When you say you have had 15 UTIs, do you mean 15 infections (fevers, chills, flank pain, AD, severe malaise, etc.) or 15 positive cultures? The latter, without symptoms, are not UTIs in people with SCI. Only the former should be considered a UTI and treated.

Print this out and share and discuss it with your urologist:
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/bv...1.chapter.8279

Having a stone will cause you to be constantly colonized and increase your risks for true UTIs. The stone needs to be removed ASAP.

Catheterization technique is rarely the culprit in repeated UTIs in SCI. Much more common are the following problems that increase your risks for UTIs:
    • Cathing too infrequently (less often than every 4-6 hours)
    • Allowing too much urine in your bladder at any one time (over 450 cc.)
    • Stones
    • Chronic prostate infection (males)
    • Having a high pressure bladder (when did you last have urodynamic studies?? What was your maximum detrusor pressure??)
    (KLD)

Thanks a lot chick and betheny!! i am taking macrodantin 50MG's. And i do intermittent cath at 5 am, 10am, 2pm and 8pm. And all of my volumes are no more that 500 CC's. I drink a pretty regular amount of water thats all i drink with the exception of one cup of coffee in the morning. The only catheders that i can afford or rather get through my medicaid is Red Robins. i do not have any insurance anymore and they gave me 300 red robins before my home health got cut. my routine is simple. I don't really do much besides the regular stuff.

I also have an ultrasound in a about a week so i will get checked then. I just feel like i don't ever have any help. I really need a urologist that does specialize it UTI's.
    T-7 Complete

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse
    Have you tried getting a new catheter for each cath? Medicare covers this now. If not, then the recommended method for cleaning catheters is not boiling.
    1. Wash with warm soapy water, rinse well with tap water, shake dry.
    2. Lay on a clean dry bath towel and fold over. Continue with catheters and folding in the same towel throughout the day.
    3. At the end of the day, set this set of catheters aside and allow to continue to dry another 24 hours.
    4. Once completely dry, place in clean dry paper lunch bag until you need to reuse.
    5. Never soak in disinfectant or store in an air-tight container.

When you say you have had 15 UTIs, do you mean 15 infections (fevers, chills, flank pain, AD, severe malaise, etc.) or 15 positive cultures? The latter, without symptoms, are not UTIs in people with SCI. Only the former should be considered a UTI and treated.

Print this out and share and discuss it with your urologist:
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/bv...1.chapter.8279

Having a stone will cause you to be constantly colonized and increase your risks for true UTIs. The stone needs to be removed ASAP.

Catheterization technique is rarely the culprit in repeated UTIs in SCI. Much more common are the following problems that increase your risks for UTIs:
    • Cathing too infrequently (less often than every 4-6 hours)
    • Allowing too much urine in your bladder at any one time (over 450 cc.)
    • Stones
    • Chronic prostate infection (males)
    • Having a high pressure bladder (when did you last have urodynamic studies?? What was your maximum detrusor pressure??)
    (KLD)

i can't afford a new cath everytime. I do not have medicare yet. i have had the chills, severe fever, vomiting, sweating, and spasms and i always go to the emergency room for this and they give me an IV of antibiotic. which is usually Cipro. I think the problem is, is that it just never went away and i have checked about 15 times and each time i always have one.

Having a high pressure bladder (when did you last have urodynamic studies?? What was your maximum detrusor pressure??)
    No i have not had this done. I am going to contact an expert urologist in charlotte. who typically does this?? My urologist??
    T-7 Complete